shape
carat
color
clarity

So...is the wedding totally planned?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jennyt

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I thought it would be fun to post about how much "planning" each of us has done prior to the receiving of the ring. I will begin the confessions:

I have:

1. Looked into a ceremony venue
2. Browsed dresses online
3. Narrowed down the dates
4. Etc.

So...fess up! With all this waiting, you guys must have been doing some planning!

What are everyone''s wedding visions? I am trying not to get too caught up in it yet (failing), but I can say it will be a Catholic wedding and fairly traditional, although I would like to find a cool reception place.

:)

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
i had my dress picked out before I was engaged! I saw it on a mannequin in the mall where I work and went and stared at it every day on my lunch break. I told all the girls i worked with I wanted to go buy it.. but i couldn''t since I wasn''t engaged! I didn''t actually try it on until about 2 weeks after we got engaged though!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
*Researched venues
*Researched preferred dress styles and potential patterns (having a custom)
*Researched cost of rentals (tables, linens, tent, etc)
*Scoped out/got referrals for vendors (caterers, photogs, wholesale florists, etc)
*Picked a date (but that's a total no-brainer for us)
*Looked into hotel group rates for OoT guests
*picked a couple potential BMs dresses for their ultimate selection
*Picked favorite potential hairstyles, makeup, jewelry
*Got rates for transportation options
*Priced flowers and decided what I want, design-wise
*Looked into invites, decided they were too expensive, and began collecting sketches/ideas of one I'd like to make. Also got referrals for good paper sources.
*Looked into the process of ordaining a minister online (I'd like someone we know to perform the ceremony)
*Looked into music: cds vs. live, and possible songs for ceremony/reception. Started compiling music.
*Fleshed out concept for coffee/dessert reception
*Began collecting reception decor ideas & bookmarking vendors that sell the stuff to make them

............um... I'm not done yet but I'm pretty embarrassed by now so I'm gonna stop.
40.gif
lol.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! Can GG coordinate my wedding?
2.gif

Honestly, my "planning" is much more theoretical, but I know pretty much what I''m doing. I co-planned my sister''s wedding, and I will use a lot of the same vendors she did. I also know a lot of what I DON''T want, but I don''t have anything specific....it''s all just a general idea and familiarity with the vendors and venues in town since I''ve been in so many freaking weddings in my hometown!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
GG - Can I see some of your BM dress choices? I can''t make up my FREAKING mind!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
GG, people like you could make a killing coordinating these things...because wedding phobic people like me exist!

My cousin, who just got married, came by the other day and gave me all her wedding magazines. I did NOT ask for them. But she has been teasing me about being "next". I have never looked through a wedding mag in my life, but gave them a look through. 30 minutes later, I actually developed a splitting headache...and I NEVER get headaches!

How do you gals do it? There are zillions of dresses, and they''re all bloody white! Then the wedding etiquette, picking a photographer, checklists for one year, 6 months, 3 months, a week, and 3.5 minutes before the wedding. And the proper way to do an invite. You mean e-invites aren''t acceptable?? AHHH!

And yet lots of women put on great, organized weddings. A girl like me would be lucky if she managed to throw a pizza party at domino''s. Kudos to you ladies for your organizational skills!

BTW, anyone want a boatload of wedding magazines?
25.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
GG I think you''ve got me beat in the planning dept and I didn''t think it was possible! My friends joke that I could get married in two months if I really wanted to b/c I''m so organized.

Here is my research:
engagement party: if before June a crawfish boil at my grandma''s house. Vendor provides everything: tables, beer, etc.

wedding:
have excel workbook with tons of tabs
*have called Church for details (if we have ceremony there)
*have called reception location and they faxed me their packet
*l researched other vendors in the event its at g-ma''s house, like catering, tables, djs, etc
*photographers: have packages written down with contact info and have emailed a few
*know price for band if I want to splurge, otherwise will go with DJ
*have dress picked out, and when official will use the same seamstress as my future S-I-L
*guest list with most addresses (my side that is and his close friends) used Christmas cards as an excuse
*list of potential dates going until March 2006, listing other friends weddings that they have to go to, etc.
*have idea of potential BM dresses: Lazaro''s 2005 collection has some good ones
*know where I''ll get invitations, but still deciding
*and lots more, but can''t remember everything right now

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
travelinggal: "You mean e-invites aren''t acceptable??" HAHAHHAHA! :) My BF and I were discussing wedding stuff yesterday and I mentioned "We''d need to make a wedding webpage" and he says "What''s that?" So I explained and he goes "GREAT! Think of all the money we''d save on invitations!" Uh uh buddy, it doesn''t work that way. :D

Holy crap GG! You are on top of this party! I haven''t been doing much planning, though I''ve done a fair amount of browsing. I helped plan a wedding a couple of years ago and that got me thinking about it. I''m debating sites right now mostly - BF parents have a house in rural VT that has a sloping backyard going down to a pond that would be gorgeous for the ceremony/reception. However, I grew up in BC and the majority of my family would only be able to come if we had it there, so I''m debating it too. Weddings are SO cheap there, so cost wise (for us, not guests) would be about the same either way I think. I''m not even pondering dresses until I get a bit skinnier. I love browsing invitations and flowers though. I want to make my own invitations so it''s good to get ideas early.

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
wow GG I am impressed with your research!!

I''ve been clipping photos out of magazines for YEARS and have a folder full of dress ideas, flowers, recipes for the rehearsal dinner, photography, venues etc. My BF and I are planning on making our own invites.

I''d love something simple and outdoors, in a botanical garden or vineyard with a big tent and sparkling white lights.

Appletini - your wedding sounds like my type of party! I want to go to your crawfish boil!!!! Sounds delicious! Crawfish is one of my fav foods after visiting New Orleans for jazz fest.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol, you ladies are great. Pick on Heather too, she''s done just as much as me!!!
9.gif
I pretty much have my guest list together, just have to finalize his side. I bet I''m not more than 5-6 people off.
2.gif

TravelingGal, I couldn''t coordinate other people''s weddings for the same reason I couldn''t be an interior decorator... because I like what *I* like and if they don''t well TOO BAD!! lol..
9.gif

MS, BMs dresses on their way!
1.gif

bmdress2.bmp

bmdress.bmp

#3 (not in this color scheme, but I like the style)

bm_4c.jpg

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. As I post those I''m leaning towards the last one. I forgot when I saved the first two I was planning on a midafternoon ceremony. Now that it will be an evening affair, I like the floor-length much better. Gonna keep looking now!
9.gif

Keep in mind my sister is 14 now and will be barely 16 at the time of the wedding, but has *quite* the figure already... something I''d like to minimize as I don''t want to spend the evening chasing off well-intentioned groomsmen.
29.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I havent called places, but I do research them. The place I work has a venue for weddings so sometimes I''m stuck here on a Saturday night working them...when I hear a good band, I make a note to myself, bad band, same thing...I do it with the florists as well and when I''ve been treated poorly or heard bad things about certain caterers I do write that down as well. I also have an appx budget for what everything would cost. Even though its SO far away, we do know where both of us want our ceremony to be...really the only thing that could hinder our planning is my bf''s parents getting really hurt with us wanting to elope. He''s their only child. But I have a whole little notebook full of ideas...its not that I always set out to find things, but if I do see something that catches my eye I stick it in there. My mind has changed many times though!

I think its a good idea to have ideas all organized and set up before so you''re not stressed out and crunched for time! There are so many options to choose from I''d rather be overwhelmed now than in a couple yrs.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Apple - I''m planning to do a crawfish boil for my rehearsal dinner! Hehe...I guess us Houston girls like our crawdaddies!

Wow, here I thought I was doing a lot of pre-e wedding planning
emwink.gif
but based on you girls, I''ve barely scratched the surface! I think the thinking about what I want is a whole lot more fun than the nitty gritty actually going out to get what needs to be done...done.
3.gif
I guess I''ll cross that road when I get there! (hope fully soon!!!!!)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Ginger: FYI...Bering''s has some really cute crawfish invitations--actually all there invitations are really cute! I was there the other day helping to pick out invites for my friend''s b-day party. I was telling her and her stepmom about my engagement crawfish party idea and her stepmom asked if I was from Louisiana. I told her no, but just that I thought that it would be really cute and fun. Check out www.ragin-cajun.com thats probably who I would use, since they handle everything! The BF likes the idea, but he said his mom would never go for it as a rehersal dinner option--so that will probably be at the country club.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
GG: I like the dresses. You''re hired!
2.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock

Anyone too lazy or cheap to plan an extravagant wedding?? Sometimes I don''t see the point in spending so much money and time planning something that will pass by super fast! Is that why people choose to elope??

I''m NOT saying I''d like to elope. I DO want to plan my wedding. I know I want a small nice wedding that doesn''t cost too much.

In high school for my econ class we had to plan a wedding with a budget. I can''t remember the details but I know the "pretend wedding" I planned cost so much money!!

What''s the average cost of a wedding nowadays??

I found an interesting article on the knot of how to save some money IF anyone is interested. =)

Your Wedding Budget: 41 Ways to Save
http://www.theknot.com/ch_article.html?Object=AI980914212034
http://www.theknot.com/ch_article.html?Object=AI980914212034

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
um, well....

i''m already a knottie and i''m not even engaged.

i have a folder of wedding inspiration photos on my computer w/subfolder categories for dress, bm dress, table settings, hair, makeup, flower ideas, etc.

i *almost* starting designing my own wedding invitation last week (will be doing a monogram)

i''m pretty sure the color scheme will be something like champagne & baby blue.

i already know what my favors i will be making.

i think Reem Acra''s Paradise gown is THE ONE. though I haven''t tried it on.

i''ve researched a few local venues

know what i want for save the date''s

um... and i think that''s it.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I think I saw some statistic where the average wedding costs around $21,000 to 24,000. I also saw something which did average wedding by area of the country, but I don''t remember where that was!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
GG! Those first two dresses are two of my FAVORITES. Just so you know, they BOTH come in full length too! #1 full length in light pink is one of my top choices right now. I like #2 alot.. but only in the black/pink color scheme that it is advertised in. I didnt really like any of the other other color combos.

I think I am narrowing down my choices a bit.

I think the color will be baby pink

Top choices

#1- Dessy
1999_princess.jpg

#2- Dessy
ds2007m.jpg

#3- After Six
a6244_petalpink.jpg

#4- Joanie G by Jordan
414_8725_large.jpg

#5- Vivian Diamond
7008_passion.jpg

P.S. did you see my reception location pics? THey are over in bride world wide and also in my "my story" thread

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand the average is about 20K too. My cousin spent 30K on hers. When I think about spending that kind of money on a wedding, I really think eloping is the way to go. To each their own...my cousin wanted a dream wedding and doesn''t regret it. She sacrificed the ring, exotic honeymoon, etc. She just wanted to celebrate with the people she loved the most. Plus in Korean weddings, you tend to get a lot of cash. I think she got half the money she paid for her wedding in monetary gifts. And as I said before, it''s the planning that freaks me out. However, it''s fun reading about everyone else''s plans. I had a lot of fun watching/helping my cousin plan hers.

But with even 15K...I could do all kinds of crazy traveling!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 5:36:37 PM
Author: appletini
Ginger: FYI...Bering''s has some really cute crawfish invitations--actually all there invitations are really cute! I was there the other day helping to pick out invites for my friend''s b-day party. I was telling her and her stepmom about my engagement crawfish party idea and her stepmom asked if I was from Louisiana. I told her no, but just that I thought that it would be really cute and fun. Check out www.ragin-cajun.com thats probably who I would use, since they handle everything! The BF likes the idea, but he said his mom would never go for it as a rehersal dinner option--so that will probably be at the country club.
yum! i love ragin cajun....esp their oyster happy hours! although i think we''re just gonna do it on our own. my family has crawfish boils on a regular basis during crawfish season (every 2 weeks or so) and we feed a LOT of ppl each time (60+...large family)!

where are you planning to have the reception? are you doing a church wedding? am i being too nosy?
9.gif
just curious about houston wedding venues...i haven''t researched too much into it yet...feeling too guilty
emembarrassed.gif
!

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
Melissasue! I love that Aftersix gown! It''s my favorite!

Here''s is one that I love. I love the tulle showing at the hem. I actually have a black dress by Laundry that has the same hemline. It''s so cute!

jh0045.jpg

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
GG - You found my bridesmaid dress for me!!!! I love dress #2 and I just have to have it! can I have the details for it? the make and style # if you have them, geeze what a silly question, with all the planning you did I''m sure you have them. the wedding dress i want is white with red so that red dress with the white would be perfect. I don''t have my dress yet cuz i don''t need it for another 2 years but i called the compnay direct (bonny) to see if they could tell me if/when it will be discontinued and they were very helpful, i was told that it will be aval until at the least sept. to call back and then they will be able to tell me if it will be carried over again or not. ok, now on to my plans. I didn''t really make many plans while i was waiting i just already knew for years what i was doing. I''ve been engaged since Dec 29, 2004, I booked the reception site last night, I know who i''m using for the photographer and dj and the caterer and the florist, i know what dress i want, and now thanks to golden girl i know what bm dress i want - i think the hardest part about all this wedding planning is going to be saving the money to pay for it all

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Yay PalmBayBabe!! I love that dress too! (Thanks GG''s research!!!)
1.gif
(how''s that little peanut, btw?)

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
BlueRoses - my niece is just fine, thanks. My favorite color is Red so of course I choose red for my wedding color and I have always wanted a winter wedding so Red + Winter = February! I sure wish that I could figure out how to post a pic of the wedding dress that I picked

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
palmbaybabe - The #2 dress GG posted is After Six style # a6220. There is a choice of three sash colors, black, white and pink and a ton of fabric colors. It can also be long or short.

It was the dress i was POSITIVE I wanted for awhile.. but then I realized it was less formal than I wanted..

Here is the link
http://a6.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=dresses&style=A6220-white

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Palmbay babe..
are one of these your wedding gown?

Style #243
243f.jpg

Style #415
415f.jpg

Style #407
407b.jpg

There are a couple more with red on the bonny site too.. If you tell me the style number I''ll post it for you!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
MelissaSue, it is SO cute!!

PBB, fyi, the bm dress that I got the good deal on (there was another thread on BWW, I think?) through discountbridalservice.com was a dessy, so you probably could get good deals for your "maids" throgh one of those.

1.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 10
6.gif
4:36 PM
Author: palmbaybabe
GG - You found my bridesmaid dress for me!!!! I love dress #2 and I just have to have it! can I have the details for it?

Whew, MS to the rescue!! My mom will be doing the bride''s and bridal party''s attire, so I''ve just been collecting photos, not keeping the info on them. Thank goodness for MelissaSue!!
9.gif

MS, I just looooove that pink Dessy!! My sister would kill me if I made her wear a pink dress, though. It''s bad enough I''m making her wear a dress... she''s still in that "awkward anti-social teenager" phase and only wears black.
20.gif
That''s okay though, since I''m having an evening fall wedding, I plan on doing a mix of autumn colors... copper, claret, marigold, hunter, sage, burnt orange... pretty much any fall color I can get in mini callas.

I''ve been thinking about putting the bms in copper. I saw a group shot where the bms wore gold and it was just stunning against the men''s suits!
1.gif

twinkletoes, that dress is adorable!!
30.gif

snlee, to be honest my wedding will be neither complicated nor expensive.
1.gif
I don''t want to stress about details that mean nothing to me (programs? favors? seating charts? why bother??) so I''m putting my efforts into things I DO care about (menu, ambience) and I figure I''ll let simplicity do most of the talking. The guests should all me looking at ME, anyways!!
2.gif

weddingpartych.jpg

razza21

Rough_Rock
Ok my turn to confess!!!! (I''m already feeling embarrassed!!)
emembarrassed.gif

1. I have looked extensively at wedding dresses on the internet and have even gone as far as to browsing through bridal shops desperate to try them on .... but of course I can''t as I''m waiting for the ring!! I have seen a few potentials that are gorgeous! Love Organza and the pulled to side drapped across look encrusted with speckled crystals!
2. Looked at potential Reception venues on the net, but have the b''f''s permission to do this as that will have to be booked pretty much straight away!
3. Picked out a colour scheme of white, aquamarine/green/mint, and baby pink
4. Pretty smitten with a particular florist that has absolutely gorgeous flowers with tulips and roses in pink and yellow.
5. Checked out photographer websites and got an idea of the style of wedding pics I want.
6. Looked at cakes and reception decorations

Ummmm that would pretty much cover it!!!! Scary huh!?!?

Twinkletoes: I absolutely LOVE that little green b/m dress - stunning and completely me!!

I so glad I''m not the only one doing all of this - Another reason I love this website so much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results