shape
carat
color
clarity

So I Visited a B&M Recently...60/60??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
With one of my friends who is looking at round diamonds.

The jeweler was showing us various GIA certified stones and explaining the 4Cs. For cut, he urged 60/60 for depth/table. This isn''t the first jeweler who has told me that this is the ideal combination.

Why is this?

Thanks in advance!!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey stretch:

Copy and paste the following wording into the search bar and it will bring you to the following post:

60:60 and David from Diamondsbylauren

Hopefully this will help answer your questions..

60/60 stones can be very beautiful, but only a small percentage of the time do they have the ideal crown & pav. angles to really accentuate their beauty..It is this critical angle relationship which plays a large part in a diamonds beauty..
21.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your welcome Stretch..Be sure to post more questions after reading the article..
34.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a 63x63......not much sparkle going on there!!!
15.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 8:56:43 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Your welcome Stretch..Be sure to post more questions after reading the article..
34.gif
Okay, wow, that is a lot of information!!

So essentially, if the crown and pavilion angles are right, the stone can look pretty darn good?

I also assume that a 60/60 stone could display hearts and arrows?

Thanks again
36.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2005 9:27:31 PM
Author: Stretch4

Date: 2/7/2005 8:56:43 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
34.gif
Okay, wow, that is a lot of information!!

So essentially, if the crown and pavilion angles are right, the stone can look pretty darn good?

I also assume that a 60/60 stone could display hearts and arrows?

Thanks again
36.gif
Yes, If the crown/pavilion angles are right the stone can be beautiful. I have yet to see a Hearts & Arrows stone cut exhibiting 60/60 depth and table. There are certain characteristics of this cutting style which are optimized with tables ranging from about 53-58%, and also these stones would not generate the AGS ideal "0" grade because the table falls outside the AGS 0 range which most companies cutting branded stones try to achieve to optimize the premium price being paid for these stones.

There are many more factors involved, these are just a few.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Josh, thanks again!

The reason I asked about the H&A is because one of the stones we saw definitely had arrows. So I completely understand it would never be an AGS0, but it would be nice to have a little arrow action too!! (I know the arrows were no where near prefect as the branded H&A stones around here, but still, the stone did look nice!)

Thanks for your help!
36.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2005 10:35:28 PM
Author: Stretch4
Josh, thanks again!

The reason I asked about the H&A is because one of the stones we saw definitely had arrows. So I completely understand it would never be an AGS0, but it would be nice to have a little arrow action too!! (I know the arrows were no where near prefect as the branded H&A stones around here, but still, the stone did look nice!)

Thanks for your help!
36.gif
If the stone looked nice and you were happy with what you saw go for it. 60/60 diamonds have an appeal of their own, and can be very beautiful...
35.gif
. There are many different varieties and makes of diamonds which make them a visual firecracker. The best option is to go with what appeals to your eye's..
37.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stretch, What did you decide to go with?
35.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it was my friend looking at diamonds for herself! She decided that she really loves princess cut diamonds, so now she''s off on that tangent! But I really appreciated your responses to my questions!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
You know I''m actually terrifed of contradicting Josh.

Next thing you know Christopher Moltisanti will be knocking on my door with Paulie Walnuts!

Anyway- Stretch- since 60/60 was known as the "ideal" proportions till Lazaare Kaplan patented the "Ideal Cut".
Many folks with long experience with diamonds feel that 60/60 is the best because of training- apparently you''ve experienced this.

No need to beat a dead horse, but personally, I prefer 60% table to 57%.
Hearts and Arrows can have depths up to ( I''m not sure) 61%?
Anyway, with a medium, thin, slightly thick, girdle, 60% is preferable to 61% simply becasue the stone looks bigger.
The same could be said of the 60% table- the diamond acutally looks a little larger.
Usually a stone cut to 60/60 does not have prominent hearts and arrows. Some people don''t like this type of pattern.
Of course Hearts and Arrows are loved by many folks too. Live and let live- right?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2005 8:45:56 PM
Author:Stretch4
With one of my friends who is looking at round diamonds.

The jeweler was showing us various GIA certified stones and explaining the 4Cs. For cut, he urged 60/60 for depth/table. This isn''t the first jeweler who has told me that this is the ideal combination.

Why is this?

Thanks in advance!!
i think the older generation jeweler''s prefer the 60/60 cut but the newer generation jeweler''s prefer the smaller tables.i had a 60/60 stone recut into a AGS 0 cut and very happy with the result.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing- I don''t see it at all as a generational thing- it''s simply a matter of taste.
A nicely cut 60/60 can be very beautiful- as can a nicely cut 57/61 which earned a 0 cut grade from AGS- but these two stones will look different. I don''t believe that in a "blind taste test" the percentage choosing 60/60 would be older or younger.
I firmly believe that in such a blind type test- stones shown to folks that wanted to buy a diamond, yet knew nothing of 60/60 or AGS0, you''re going to have a very close result. Maybe 55% prefer one or the other.
I don''t think people have to understand diamond cuts to appreciate them
There''s nothing at all wrong with learning everything you can about diamonds- but not everyone wants to do this.

What size stone did you have recut, and how much did it weigh before and after re-cut?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dave:

I believe it went from a 1.47ct. to a 1.15ct. after the re-cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results