shape
carat
color
clarity

So excited, FINALLY an interview at a jewelry store !

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
When things stink, it feels like they'll never get better, but hang in there. They will change. I do know how you feel -- been a through very similar fix myself & worried about having to live in our cars or something equally cozy. It passed, as all bad times do, so chin up. Believe that because it is true.

We take away a lesson from everything we do, if we're wise. My main advice would be to concentrate on the job offered & be yourself rather than an actor. It works better.

His concern with how you (or anyone, presumably) handles slow time is a red flag to me -- you could have been bored & not earning much; it sounds like his store isn't exactly a beehive of activity. It's also possible he had earlier employees who spent slow times on their phones or something equally annoying, but anyway, doesn't sound like you've lost a lot.

Keep truckin' -- it will improve!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry things didn't work out merefrank - I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and I hope you find something soon - hang in there.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one was trying to be mean to you, and no one wants you or your husband to lose your house or be suicidal. Stop being dramatic. I said "sorry" in reference that it didn't work out, no one cares about the jeweler or his business or his opinion, I was just trying to give you a helpful suggestion.

To be frank, you sound emotional. I'm now worried. You can't handle a mere comment on a thread, threaten to "not come back", come back and say dramatic things. I'd usually scream "troll", but I know you're not trolling-- you're just emotional. Which I understand, you're in a shitty place. So am I. I can share my shitty ass situation online, but it is public, and I'm choosing not to. Don't let ONE interview rejection scar you, though. Jesus, it's been YEARS of a shitty economy that's barely picking up again. You are NOT alone in not getting hired, or having money troubles. You are part of the majority. Don't get annoyed at the jeweler, it's HIS choice who he hires, NOT yours. You just need to move onwards and upwards. That is all.

I stand by my first piece of advice though. I still highly suggest closing this thread-- firstly for professionalism, but now also because you seem to be hurt by this thread. Close it, move on, and stay if you love jewelry and feel this is a good community for you.

Please don't twist my words a second time. I am NOT trying to be mean to you.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Merefrank,
Don't beat yourself up about this. FWIW, I don't think that posting on this thread caused you to lose a potential job. I was a lurker on PS before I started posting, and I had NO IDEA how many different forums the site has to offer! I REALLY DOUBT this guy took the time to stalk you or your posts on Diamond Hangout. Really. I feel bad for you because it almost seems to me that this post was originally intended as a cheerful, " YAY PS, Thank YOU PS for educating me" thread, but some obviously misinterpreted your enthusiasm for arrogance. Feel better.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions and well wishes. I am not mad at anyone, not the jeweler, nor any posters. I WAS just very discouraged that evening as NOTHING seemed to be going right, and this thread DID start out as upbeat and hopefully educational. People asked that I report back and that is just what I did.

I too doubt he has so little to do other than try to find me on here, and after meeting him and getting the response from him I did, I would not take the job anyway if he called back and said he had changed his mind. You get vibes from people and my vibe is that he and I and his store would not be a good fit, so he actually was correct on that !

Madelise, I honestly wasn't trying to be a brat, I was so upset about the crashed car and my problems with time warner siphoning out so much money unauthorized ( it has now been fixed after 8 phone calls and innumerable hours) that my "goodbye" while slightly dramatic was due to the fact that I was planning on shutting off my internet if I could not get satisfaction from TW and was thinking I would likely have to sell my rings to pay for a new used car, all of which would have made coming back here either impossible or too depressing !

Thanks again everyone. After being in on the Affordable care act thread, I KNOW there are a lot of big hearted, kind people here ! Thank you all again ! :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merefrank, I was going to respond when you first posted the other night but never got around to it. Glad you got the TW problem resolved and I hope your financial situation/life stuff continues to improve. Also, you mentioned you're quite involved in theatre/drama professionally so (not that you asked for one) I think you get a "pass" for your enthusiasm. :bigsmile:

That said, I'll share a bit with you about my experiences working and obtaining jobs in brick & mortar jewelry retail: I worked for a major department store's fine jewelry counter in 2 locations when I was in college, then I worked for an indie jeweler a couple years after I found PS. I never mentioned PS during my interview, but did share the site with my boss after a few weeks of employment. This was back in 2006-7 and he thought it was great but did encourage me to pursue some GIA courses in conjunction with observing the bench during slow times in the store and helping to identify specs of loose stones when the owner brought them back to the 'burbs from his trips to the diamond district downtown. I learned a lot that way. I also helped them with marketing and events, so if you're good at that sort of thing you might mention that's something you could work on during slow times. I was laid off after Christmas, unfortunately. The economy was already starting to spiral downward and he couldn't afford to keep me on full time.

In 2008, I returned to my home state and applied/interviewed for a sales position with a local indie jeweler again. That time I mentioned PS. ...Crickets. I did not receive a call back, and when I called back twice I was told the hiring manager was "in a meeting" which is code for "not interested but don't have the balls to tell you." I have often wondered if bringing up PS during the interview was a huge mistake. If I ever apply for another jewelry store position there's no way I'd mention PS. My theory (among several) is that brick & mortar stores who don't do an online business would rather NOT have a staff member who could potentially tell clients they could buy a stone/setting online cheaper. ETA: Oh crap, forgot all about another interview I had with a SUPER upscale jeweler--I mentioned PS that time and also didn't get the job! :(( I think I described it as a "consumer advocate" site and maybe that's off-putting to a business owner.

Passion for the product is a wonderful thing, and you should not have to dumb yourself down, but keeping your responses to open-ended questions during interviews concise and simple is usually the best approach. That has been my experience, anyway! Hope sharing mine is helpful, and I wish you the best of luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results