shape
carat
color
clarity

So….. I went to a Jewellery Auction…….

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its been a while, what with Covid, that I’ve actually been to a Jewellery auction. I normally just do eBay or Etsy. The on line catalog was interesting so off I went to the viewing.
First off, I should have taken my dog. Yup. For some reason there were dogs inside from one end of the venue to the other. Mostly little ones and that was despite the sign at the door saying “Please, No dogs inside”. The problem was the huge German shepherd and Rottweiler duly tied up out front outside that meant all the other dogs had to come in. Well that was the excuse anyway. One person, I kid you not, rang the venue from outside saying that they were too scared to walk in past said big dogs so could the owner please come out and remove them.
Anyhow, back to the auction. There was a 2.5 carat old cut diamond in 18ct gold, est $3k to $5k. Hmm. Interestingly no documentation regarding actual carat weight or colour or clarity and I would have guessed J / K colour S12. I had it on my finger comparing it to my engagement ring when a man behind me says “can I look next please. The lady behind the counter nods ok so I go to hand it over. “No, not that ring, that ring”. Excuse me, but thats MY ring and it’s not in the auction. Cue disappointed look. Wasn’t planning on bidding on the ring, just interested, and the approx 2.5 carat diamond with no paperwork sold for $11k plus 23% commission. Gulp. So the prices were all over the place. Hundreds of dollars for sterling silver, nooone wanting pearls. I bought, sight unseen, a Zultanite ring for $80 (why not, it was my size and no one else was interested) and a pair of 18ct ruby and diamond half hoop earrings. I was surprised to get the earrings, given the the prices some pieces were getting. Pick up tomorrow so show and tell later.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds like fun. Can't wait to see your pieces.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that story @Bron357 ! No, not that one, the other one!:lol:

Should have asked him how much he'd give you for her...even though I know you have no intention of parting with her!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was surprised when I went to an auction that people were paying way over the odds (well to me anyway) for things like amethyst and citrine, pretty, but not worth the amount they paid.

On the other hand, I went to a viewing at Sothebys in London, and their estimates were so ridiculously low, that items were selling for well over 100,000 when the estimate had been about 30,000.

Looking forward to seeing your latest purchases.

ringupthebling

Rough_Rock
How fun!! Congrats on your new pieces and looking forward to the show and tell!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh! I'm so keen to see the Zultanite ring! One of sister's friends has one, and I love that ring! I've offered to adopt it, should she ever tire of it. LOL!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
That's coolio, @Bron357! Is the ring really fiery, too? My sis's friend's ring is a fireball, as well as being a color chameleon.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, here’s the Zultanite ring.
Fascinating gemstone in different lighting.
Im thinking it’s created because the natural ones are quite expensive and this was cheap as chips.
9CF26192-DC66-4CF4-B9C8-B99A1611D595.jpeg 2B61969A-08E7-4C72-A09C-7B7636301C01.jpeg 4D6E65DC-7792-4E7D-B9E5-6CF33FA58B73.jpeg 98F547D6-430D-4C2C-B98D-429B7BDC37F3.jpeg

oh you naughty girl !
but so much fun !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results