shape
carat
color
clarity

***Snowtober***

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's everyone faring through the storm?

We've had a wintry mix thus far in New Haven. I was out this afternoon and saw a bunch of trees down. It seems the hurricane earlier this year weakened a lot of trees. One of our trees has bent over, as in totally curved down to the ground, but hasn't broken. I'd guess its 20+ ft tall. I never knew trees were so flexible!

Very concerned re: potential loss of power. Lights went off for a few seconds and came back on.

How's everyone else doing?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wish you and all Northeasteners all the best, I heard that huge areas are without power. My son is now in RI and I am very concerned...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I feel for all of you. I mean Denver got some too and even though it's the mountains it's still just wrong. There's something so beyond wrong about snow even a moment before midnight on christmas eve. But October? That is like a punishment from the gods.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a friend in Pittsburgh and he said it snowed! It snowed in Denver, CO too; I am 8 hrs away from Denver but no snow here :bigsmile:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I live in NJ and we got about 5 inches. We have to big trees on our property and one branch fell on my husband's car, and two have fallen on the street in the past 5 hours. We have called the police about the branches in the street and as right now they haven't responded. I had to go out for an emergency manicure and the roads were a MESS, our road crews haven't been out to sand or plow. Stay safe everyone!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Phooey! It is too soon! (I live in the Rockies so what am I saying......)

cheer--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We lost two big branches , but did have the trees pruned after the hurricane. It's about 4 inches here with a nice coating of ice on top. Many of my friends have lost power.

I will say I can't wait for 2012. I hope weather wise it's a better year.

I have a new puppy, so it's heck training her to go outside when I wont go outside. Pee pee pads are the fix for now...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I saw on the news this a.m. that Mass. got 27"!!! :errrr: Astounding! My bro in Vermont emailed that he has his woodstove cooking away. In North Carolina we got no snow but freezing temps -- 75 in Dallas today, which I assume we'll see in a day or 2. Confuses heck out of the poor Southern flowers.

Stay warm, northeasterners!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
On behalf of all of us PS'ers in the warmer climes which do not see snow, *please* post photos from this freak October snowtacular!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow to 27 inches! :errrr: We didn't get nearly that much snow, but it was very heavy and took down a LOT of trees in CT. Because the trees still have most of their leaves, many became too weighed down. Huge numbers of power outages in CT. I'm wondering if AGBF ever got her generator!! Power went out shortly after I posted here last night. We decided to get a hotel for the night. No power, heat, running water with a little baby was very trying during Irene!

I do have pictures. For you, FDL!

snowy yard.jpg

snowy sky.JPG

snowy lucy.JPG

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the bendy tree in my yard, and the tree that was hanging on a power line and blocking our street for a good part of the day! Oh, and the bendy tree is already half-way back up! It never broke. I'm hoping he survives. I have no idea what type of tree it is.

bending tree.JPG

tree on line.JPG

tree on road.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pictures. Stay warm!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We have been without power since 2pm on Saturday (thank goodness for generators!) and according to the electric company should have power restored sometime tonight (keeping fingers crossed). My neighbor's car got crushed by her own tree and I had called her earlier saying it would be wise to put it in the garage or move it down the driveway. She said she was going to wait for hubby to come home and move it. The tree hit the car 15 minutes before hubby came home....she did not hear a thing! :confused:

The only good thing that came out of this storm is that the crabapple tree I have in the back came down. My DH did not want it removed, but those crabapples all over the ground begins to smell bad after a while. Mother Nature took care of that for me.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a foot of snow up here in my area of northern NE. We lost power for just under 24 hours and it came on again last night. We actually have a snow day today because virtually no one in the town I teach in has power. It's so funny to look out the window and see a foot of snow under trees that are still full of color.
ETA: Nice pics, LV!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My aunt and uncle live in Denville NJ (northwest NJ) and a tree came down on their house and crashed through their greenhouse! I haven't yet spoken with them but my mom told me. She said there was a ton of damage. ;(

I am relieved neither of them were home when it happened! I love their home-it's just beautiful and their greenhouse which is attached to their master bedroom is/was awesome. I feel for them as they are always having issues living up there. It seems they are always having some sort of weather event though I cannot remember a tree ever crashing through their house.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1320061181|3050902 said:
We had a foot of snow up here in my area of northern NE. We lost power for just under 24 hours and it came on again last night. We actually have a snow day today because virtually no one in the town I teach in has power. It's so funny to look out the window and see a foot of snow under trees that are still full of color.

I'm glad your power is back on Zoe! That's always the worst part of any storm for me- the possibility of losing power. Enjoy your snow day!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1320061290|3050906 said:

I'm glad your power is back on Zoe! That's always the worst part of any storm for me- the possibility of losing power. Enjoy your snow day!

Thanks Missy! It's my birthday, too, which would be more fun if my husband got to stay home. I think maybe I'll go shopping to celebrate!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1320062366|3050913 said:
missy|1320061290|3050906 said:

Thanks Missy! It's my birthday, too, which would be more fun if my husband got to stay home. I think maybe I'll go shopping to celebrate!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZOE!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
Ooooh shopping trip!!! Enjoy!! :bigsmile:

It's my mom's birthday today too! Halloween babies!! Great day to be born!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Missy! Happy birthday to your mom!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Birthday wishes to stay healthy! I hope that everyone keeps/gets back power soon!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
LV, thanks for posting those photos. It's so beautiful, and I'm totally digging the "Bendy Tree"!

Is your adorable pup a big snow lover?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've got to be kidding me. Another day off tomorrow.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I'm in Western Massachusetts and we got about 2 feet of snow here! We lost our power Saturday night and got it back this a.m. finally! A tree ended up on our roof, but luckily no damage. All we could hear Saturday night was trees falling and cracking. We slept in the basement as we were worried about another tree hitting our house. Trick or Treating was cancelled and will most likely be rescheduled for next weekend. I'm just happy that we are safe!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lizzy, Scary about the tree! Glad to hear it didn't cause damage and that you're all safe and sound!

Zoe, Happy Birthday one day late! I forget if you're in NH or VT, but I spoke with a guy from NH this morning. He said there's no power in sight. He had to draw up buckets of water from his well. They are without plumbing. Rule number one: Always fill your tub with water before a storm if you have a well/pump. I learned that here, form ilander, I think!

FDL, Thank you! Yes, Lucy loves the snow. She thinks it's the best thing ever! It puts an extra spring in her step for sure. Her greyhound buddy loves it too! Fun to run around in!

We may have power back today! Hoping!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh gosh I am so sorry; I pray your power is back sooooon LV

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV -- I'm in the same state as the guy you spoke with. I feel so bad for everyone in the town I teach in. One of my coworkers said that the electric co. estimated that power would be back by midnight on Thursday/Friday. When do you think you'll be back home? I hope it's soon!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't imagine being without power in that much snow. So uncomfortable.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1320174280|3051862 said:
I can't imagine being without power in that much snow. So uncomfortable.

The weird thing is that the temperature's been in the 50s ever since. It definitely could be worse!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Glad that everyone is ok. In NYC the snow is pretty much melted, but there are still broken branches/trees everywhere and the parks are closed. We went to NJ today a tons of streets were still closed b/c of all the branches that were down :((

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL, BIL, niece and nephew have been without power since last Saturday, and power likely won't be restored until this Saturday. The area they live in sold out of generators. This evening DH drove three states away (the halfway point for BIL to meet him) to bring a generator to them. He's on his way home now. Very early in the season to be having these problems!

I hope all affected are faring well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results