shape
carat
color
clarity

Snickers cupcakes--how to keep candy from sinking to bottom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Calling Frekechild, Mara, Octavia, and Rachel9,

Continuing saga of chocolate cupcakes--her co-workers are insisting she make her snickers cupcakes, but she''s made them twice and the little piece of snickers falls to the bottom of the cupcake and becomes one with the paper, no problem if you just want to nibble it off but not so good for a contest. Any suggestions on how to keep it suspended in the middle?

A friend of mine says her Mom rolls fruit in flour before placing it in a cupcake and that helps it suspend? Do you think that would work? But would it leave ugly whiteness?
We also thought of two smaller pieces instead of one larger piece. Do you think that would help?
It would be ok it just stayed on top, but we tried laying it on top the second time (the first time we pushed it into the middle of the batter) we made them and it sunk to bottom 50% of the time. I think putting them in 1/2 way through the cooking wouldn''t work cos they would all lose their temperature. We''ll be making at least 2 -3 dozen.

Thanks all!!!! BTW we are sticking with original recipe, DD is sure I just botched it and she will do better (she''s probably right!)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
When adding candy to cupcakes, I reduce the amount of liquid and freeze the candy. It usually works.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt-but I do bake a lot.

Well I would think the flour trick might help here...if it''s a super light coating I don''t think it would show up in the baked cupcakes. You could use cocoa instead-I would think it would do the same thing.

Other option which is how I fill cupcakes normally is to bake them without the snickers bar. Let cool. Then cut a cone out of the top of the cupcake, place/pour some slightly melted snickers bars into the center, then replace the cone. Frost and serve.

Hope you can figure something out that works well. I would have your DD make a practice batch and try a bunch of techniques to see what she likes best.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Great ideas! I wouldn''t have thought of any of those! Thanks you. How about how to make a caramel drizzle for the top-- can you just melt caramels?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 10:59:27 PM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Great ideas! I wouldn''t have thought of any of those! Thanks you. How about how to make a caramel drizzle for the top-- can you just melt caramels?

Yes-but usually you want to add a little cream to make it stay soft.

You can google all these questions too and usually find some great ideas and good answers.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Easy soft caramel:

boil sweetened condensed milk in can

Boil with one side up for two hours then flip it over, let cool. It will stay soft and yummy.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
I'm so flattered HA, I don't even eat-bake sweets that much LOL
With the great responses I'm sure it's nothing new, did check Chabad's book: Apparently 2 Snickers, Butterfingers, etc bars are enough for 1 batch of cupcakes. They need to be chopped and frozen to rocks. Take out 1/4 C of liquid in your recipe and prepare. Fill cupcakes as usual and sprinkle chopped rocks in the center, they will sink but not all the way, once baked squeeze a few drops of caramel topping in the center to keep the candy gooey
23.gif

Thehe, yah mom and sister do flour dried fruit in their cakes,
18.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, flour will help anything suspend in your cupcakes, brownies, etc. It absorbs into the cake so you don''t see it when it''s cooked.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
something shiny...that is like dulce de leche almost!

i just melt caramels in the micro w a little cream to do a drizzle.

i have had mixed luck with candies in the cupcakes. the flour trick (or cocoa might be better) will work BUT it doesn''t always seem to work all of the time. also some candies just melt down and harden regardless. like i would do whoppers in the cupcake and while they would not always sink, sometimes they would AND they would melt and harden so they were like FLAT crunchy things. i hated them but a lot of people really liked them. go figure!

certain candies seem to work pretty well in cupcakes and others just don''t. reeses mini pb cups work great in cuppies btw. speaking of snickers though have you seen the snickers cookie recipe out there online? google it, my friend made it once and it was divine! actually i am going to a cookie exchange just wkd and i just realized this second i am going to make those!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing to add really, but I like neatfreak's idea the most.

I'm a caramel snob, so I'd make caramel sauce from scratch, but I have issues.
2.gif

ETA: plus caramel can be dangerous to work with, and it's hard to know what you're doing unless you've done it a lot before...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Mara, it is like dulce de leche. That''s why I make it!!

I realized I forgot to add, once you flip it, you need to boil for an additional hour, so three hours total.

I boil up several cans at a time and store them back in the pantry. It''s an easy ice cream topping and I use it for a dessert I call Gooey Bars.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG snicker cupcakes
30.gif
dang I am gonna have to google that recipe, I LOVE snickers!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
We stayed up till 1 am making the cupcakes, I am about ready to crash now I am so tired! She didn''t win, but that''s ok, didn''t really expect to. The candy fell to the bottom as before so the freezing and rolling in cocoa had no effect. I think the addition by outting melted candy into a hole afterbthey are baked might work best. I did make the caramel, and it turned out good, she just decided it was gooey enough, so now have a caramel sauce for use in some other delightful concoction as yet undecided.

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results