shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleepless in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sleepless,

This diamond looks beautiful!!

Don''t think twice about the culet. Mine''s "pointed", and it means the same thing as "none". The semantics of the diamond trade can be easily misunderstood by newcomers sometimes (as an example: the GIA calls their best symmetry and polish grades "Excellent", while the AGS calls theirs "Ideal"). The problem arises when the newcomer feels the need to share his or her misunderstanding of the information. Pointed/None/Small culet all have essentially the same effect on the look of a stone. No worries. Your stone will not look as though it has a "hole" in it.
20.gif

In fact, your stone is killer!!

I hope we get to see pics? How are you going to have it set?

I hope you can get some sleep.

Best,
LizzyD

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh, very pretty setting!! Ditto on the space at the bottom of the shank for sizing purposes, could be key!

Are you going to get the matching wedding band?

Not to sound greedy or anything, but I''ve always loved the look of two bands just like that, one on either side of the e-ring.
36.gif

Is that a Whiteflash stone too? Luv, luv, luv WF!

Best,
LizzyD

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 7:51:23 PM
Author: Elagabalus
You''ve gone off topic. You tend to do that.

Let''s stick to the topic at hand, which is culet.
Really? I thought the topic at hand was someone from Ireland asking everyone''s opinion on their stone?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 7:37:37 PM
If it has a pointed cutlet lookind down at the diamond when the diamond is face up will make it look like it''s hollow. Cutlet should be minimal to none. If you can live with a diamond that looks hollow ok. It''s not hollow but the cutlet makes it look that way which is why cutlet is undesirable.
Pointed:
ADJECTIVE: 1. Having an end coming to a point. 2. Sharp; cutting: pointed criticism. 3. Obviously directed at or making reference to a particular person or thing: a pointed comment. 4. Clearly evident or conspicuous; marked: a pointed lack of interest.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
This link was emailed to me by a client requesting that I elaborate on a diamond's culet. Several posters have been giving correct information already but I thought I'd add the following:

The culet is a tiny flat facet that may be polished onto the bottom of the pavilion of a diamond, parallel to the table facet at the top of the crown. Most modern round diamonds have no culet; also described as 'non,' 'pointed' or 'closed.' Some have a very small, or small culet. Large or extremely large culets were common in diamonds cut in the early part of this century, such as the Old European or Old Mine Cut. However, such large culets are rarely seen today.

For many years all diamonds had the culet facet added to protect the tip of the pavilion from being chipped or damaged. Diamonds used to be set very low in jewelry and often the pavilion actually contacted the skin of the wearer’s finger; thus greater risk of damage to the exposed tip.

A culet of medium size or larger may adversely influence light return, since such a facet is effectively a hole in the center of the diamond. Modern jewelry styles raise the pavilion of the diamond. The setting itself usually provides sufficient protection for the pavilion from impact and wear, so there is no need to add a culet. Any culet medium or larger is now rare.

Technically, a round brilliant with no culet is a 57 facet diamond, while one with any culet is a 58 facet diamond.

culet_noculet2.jpg

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for jumping in to help John!

Steel...that is a beautiful set. Many ladies here have similar erings/wedding sets. It sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Yes, I was concerned about the culet. I understood that pointed was acceptable and would not adversely affect the diamond.

Yes, it is a Whiteflash diamond.

I am so excited to order this set from Whiteflash but have been stung before (I would prefer not to elaborate *nothing to do with any online jewellery vendors*) and as a result am so very anxious to make this purchase and have it be less than I expect. The best way to avoid this it would seem, is to get all the advice I can.

So, I hope that you will be honest with me if you have any particular feelings on the setting/stone, as I am still learning.

Thanks for your comments thus far.

36.gif

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Of course I can''t see the stone or setting from here, but everything looks great on paper!!! Hope it all works out...

Do you have any pics from WF or their website????

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 9:02:32 PM
Author: Steel

Yes, I was concerned about the culet. I understood that pointed was acceptable and would not adversely affect the diamond.

Yes, it is a Whiteflash diamond.

I am so excited to order this set from Whiteflash but have been stung before (I would prefer not to elaborate) and as a result am so very anxious to make this purchase and have it be less than I expect. The best way to avoid this it would seem, is to get all the advice I can.

So, I hope that you will be honest with me if you have any particular feelings on the setting/stone, as I am still learning.

Thanks for your comments thus far.

36.gif
Well... if you are looking for thoughts and ideas... here''s one... I used to want a setting JUST like that. And I still think they''re beautiful. But after a while, it got rather plain to me. Nothing more diamonds would fix, obviously lol So now I''m looking for something with interesting shape. Something that will take me on a journey of the eye, and one that doesn''t just go around in a flawless circle (though obviously there IS beauty in that). And when someone mentioned resizing, I''d give a loud DITTO because you just can''t predict what aging will do to your body... and those are tough to resize. I don''t know enough about rounds to comment on the stone, other than that from what I *do* know, it looks good and I haven''t heard anyone say anything to the contrary and they aren''t shy to do so! lol I''d take that as a vote of confidence.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 7:55:21 PM

Next you'll tell me that I and J coloured diamonds are quality stones.

Hi Elagabalus.

I read this and found it an interesting thought. I'm inclined to say that interpretation of quality is dependent on the perception & taste of the wearer. However, in the broadest sense it's also dependent on the individual diamond being considered.

Here are things that create differences in apparent face-up color between diamonds:

The quality of its cut, especially in round brilliants
The lab where it was graded; some are far stricter than others
The presence of fluorescence
The size of the diamond

Example: A well-cut near-colorless round can face-up as well or better than colorless rounds of average or poor cut because optimized light return masks body color. It may interest you to know this is why rounds are color-graded from the side at the laboratories. Descending colors in fancy shapes are not as influenced by cut as in rounds (not yet - but diamond cut is evolving constantly).
2.gif

Another critical aspect is that some labs grade softer than others. A diamond given an H by a soft lab might actually be a K or an L if graded by a strong lab like the AGS or GIA.

So...before making color decisions it’s good to be sure you're comparing apples to apples: Browsing diamonds at the counter of a store with commercial cut quality/soft lab grading is much different than examining diamonds of premium cut graded by a strict lab. I frequently see diamonds in common markets with G, H or I in color that have notable tint in the face-up view (due to poor cut and/or soft grading). Alternately, there are premium cuts with I or J from a top lab that show little or no tint face-up, thanks to strict grading and optimized light return.

On top of all this, peoples’ perception and tastes vary. Some people may not see any difference in several color grades, but others are very color sensitive. Then there are also people who prefer a warmer color to the icy look of a D. Different strokes. In any event, I believe these kinds of ‘quality’ judgments are personal, subjective matters, with no wrong decisions.

I hope this explains why you’ll find owners of wonderful diamonds of many different colors on this forum, and why each one is a testament to the individuality of its wearer.

Welcome to Pricescope by the way.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Steel,

My stone and setting were from WF and I love them. I bought them sight-unseen too! Is this an A Cut Above, hearts and arrows diamond? If so, you have absolutely nothing to worry about (especially with that color
3.gif
18.gif

Are you getting white gold, yellow gold or platinum?

Are the pave stones ACA melee?

oooh, I can''t wait to see the pics! When are you getting it?

Best,
LizzyD

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 9:21:05 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Next you''ll tell me that I and J coloured diamonds are quality stones.

Descending colors in fancy shapes are not as influenced by cut as in rounds (not yet - but diamond cut is evolving constantly).
2.gif

Hi John, looking forward to talking with you :) That above comment is something I find intriguing!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 9:21:05 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Next you''ll tell me that I and J coloured diamonds are quality stones.
I hope this explains why you’ll find owners of wonderful diamonds of many different colors on this forum, and why each one is a testament to the individuality of its wearer.

Welcome to Pricescope by the way.
You have a way with words :)

Steel

Ideal_Rock

I am not unduly concerned for a full eternity set as I already have a full eternity band so know the pitfalls. While it would be an idea to have a solid partial back to allow re-sizing this would make a custom ring and perhaps it is best to stick to a ring that is tried and tested so to speak? I am mindful that this may not be the last setting that my ring finger may hope to see. LOL.

I want to order asap. As soon as I can quell my concerns, which is where you lovely experts come into play, or should that be come to play?!

Thanks again and keep it coming.

41.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I''d start a new thread titled "Opinions on WF setting" or something like that. Many people won''t read through this whole thread to come to the part where you are asking about that particular setting. I know there are people on here with similar WF settings and they will reply if you get their attention.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
New thread coming up...

Thank you diamondseeker2006.

Ps. Perhaps I should have considered counting sheep, rather than tantalising myself with the promise of sparkle!
28.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, counting sparkles is a much more appealing idea!
9.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with DS on starting the new thread. Also, others will have to chime in here but I think I''ve seen 3/4 eternities...where you''d have diamonds all around except for at the bottom (like the resizing band, only a larger portion). Correct me if I''m wrong, but I think this is becoming more common and it wouldn''t be a "custom" job. Since there would be no diamonds, sizing should be easier right? Does anyone know?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally like full eternity. I like for the diamonds to go all the way around. There are ways for eternity bands to be sized if needed. I think Mara had her's shaved up 1/4 of size after she added her wedding band. Lasers now can do amazing things too. The michael b 3-sided pave bands can even be sized up or down a little. If the sizing really worries you, go for 3/4.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steel, looks on paper like a gorgeous stone. I assume you could return it if you are not happy when you see it but boy it sounds great. Emjoy it, and PICTURES Please!

Just to add my .02 (I know all of you were waiting breathlessly!!!)... I knew that no culet was a good thing, and in looking over the definitions just thought of something...a logic point...if a culet is supposed to mean FLAT or faceted in some way, then obviously something that is pointed cannot also be flat, right? So terminology aside, it is clear that something cannot be both flat and come to a distinct point...hence, pointed and none would be interchangeable...It is the absence of something being defined by the word pointed or by the word none...I am totally not a diamond expert in terms of terminology, but this just jumped out as I read the thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results