shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin Reactions to Metals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
I have a bad problem with yellow gold turning my skin black. I used to wear only yellow gold years ago, but over time my rings started turning my fingers black, and the problem got worse with time. I cleaned my rings and even took them to the jewler for a professional cleaning, but that didn''t help. It only takes a few hours for the black coloration to appear, even on rings that have just been cleaned. I don''t wear lotion on a daily basis, so I don''t think they''re reacting with anything other than my skin. It got to be so embarassing that I have stopped wearing yellow gold altogether. I have several sterling silver and platinum rings that I can wear with no problems, so that is what I have been wearing exclusively for the past several years. I have never purchased any white gold jewelry - when I spoke to the jeweler about my problem with yellow gold, they mentioned that people who are sensitive to metals tend to have even worse reactions to white gold than yellow. They advised me to wear platinum, since it is hypo allergenic.

The problem is that I have a few yellow gold pieces that I no longer wear. They aren''t particularly sentimental or valuable, but I wouldn''t mind having them redone in a way that I could use them every now and then. I''ve been researching having them rhodium plated. I understand that it''s not a permanent solution and would have to be redone every so often, but cost-wise, it''s a lot more of a possibility than having them reset in platinum. Besides, the gemstones are pretty low grade, so I would prefer to reserve platinum for something more valuable. I wouldn''t wear them on a daily basis, so hopefully the plating would last a bit longer.

My question is, would my skin have a reaction to the rhodium? I''ve never tried wearing it before, so I have no idea. I''ve read that it''s part of the platinum family, and I have had success with platinum. However, if people tend to have bad reactions to the white gold, is it the gold underneath the rhodium that causes the reaction, or is it the rhodium itself. Does anyone have any personal experience that might help me decide? Either way, the price of the rhodium plating is reasonable enough that I might just give it a shot and see what happens.

Maryww

Rough_Rock
Hi Krispi,
I for one have AWFUL reactions to rhodium! I usually start out with an itchy patch on my finger, and then it develops into small blisters. Not pretty. It didn''t used to happen, but somehow my body chemistry has changed. I''ve noticed too that sometimes when I wear sterling silver, my finger will turn green, and other times with the same ring it won''t. I would go for it - like you say, it''s affordable so maybe you could try one piece and see how it works for you!

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Other metals to consider are titanium and black zirconium, both of which can be worn by people with allergic reactions to other metals. Both metals are used in body implant parts because they are so inert.

JerseyGirlOC

Rough_Rock
I too have problems with yellow gold rings turning my skin black. This began around 20 years ago and seems to have gotten worse. Yellow gold necklaces and bracelets are fine. Earrings do it a little but nothing like rings do. Even 18K yellow does it. I can wear white gold that is rhodiumed with no problems at all. Platinum is fine too. I did have a couple of my yellow gold rings rhodiumed in the inside only and that does help alot because I have large knuckles and my rings tend to slid around quite a bit. I also have an old white gold wedding set from the 1940s that isn''t rhodiumed and that''s fine too. I have no reaction at all to the rhodium plating. Guess I''m fortunate. Perhaps you could either buy an inexpensive white gold ring or borrow one for a week or so and see how you do.

Hope this helps some.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 3:50:51 PM
Author:krispi
I have a bad problem with yellow gold turning my skin black. I used to wear only yellow gold years ago, but over time my rings started turning my fingers black, and the problem got worse with time. I cleaned my rings and even took them to the jewler for a professional cleaning, but that didn't help. It only takes a few hours for the black coloration to appear, even on rings that have just been cleaned. I don't wear lotion on a daily basis, so I don't think they're reacting with anything other than my skin. It got to be so embarassing that I have stopped wearing yellow gold altogether. I have several sterling silver and platinum rings that I can wear with no problems, so that is what I have been wearing exclusively for the past several years. I have never purchased any white gold jewelry - when I spoke to the jeweler about my problem with yellow gold, they mentioned that people who are sensitive to metals tend to have even worse reactions to white gold than yellow. They advised me to wear platinum, since it is hypo allergenic.

My question is, would my skin have a reaction to the rhodium? I've never tried wearing it before, so I have no idea. I've read that it's part of the platinum family, and I have had success with platinum. However, if people tend to have bad reactions to the white gold, is it the gold underneath the rhodium that causes the reaction, or is it the rhodium itself. Does anyone have any personal experience that might help me decide? Either way, the price of the rhodium plating is reasonable enough that I might just give it a shot and see what happens.
White gold is rhodium plated (white gold without rhodium plating is kinda buttery looking, so they plate it to look more silvery), so if the jeweler said that sensitive skin has trouble generally with white gold, he or she is also saying indirectly that sensitive skin has trouble with rhodium.

ETA: DOH I misread your post, I see that you already know that and that is what you were asking about. Sorry! My reading comprehension skills leave something to be desired!!
4.gif
Good luck with your experimentation.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Jersey Girl! Your experience gives me hope that it could work.

Like I mentioned, the jewelry that I have isn''t that great of a quality and has no real sentimental value to me anymore. Most of the pieces were gifts from my ex-husband while we were still in college. But I figured that if I could manage to wear them every now and then instead of keeping them in the bottom of my bathroom drawer, it might be worth a shot.

I have a necklace that needs to be restrung, so I think I''ll ask about the plating when I take it in for the repair. It wouldn''t hurt to see what they say.

Voodoo

Rough_Rock
I also have problems with different metals, I noticed that on the plated white gold I have to be very carefull and make sure to take off my rings whenever I wash my hands just that touch of soap that might get stuck under the ring tends to be the main problem with my sesitivity. When I wear yellow gold earrings my ears itch and the posts seem to turn black it is very strange. You might try having 1 plated like you suggested but make sure to remove it when around soap and water. Most of my jewlery is white gold and I have only ever had to take one piece in to re plate. Good luck.

lotsagems

Rough_Rock
my jewler said if you put a light coat of clear nail polish on the posts of earrings, you won''t have anymore problems.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may just be worth it to have a piece of your YG jewelry dipped and see what happens. That would be cheaper than replacing the jewelry all together!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results