shape
carat
color
clarity

Size of Diamond Stud Earrings to Match Solitaire Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

damormino

Rough_Rock
I would like to buy my wife a set of Princess Cut diamond stud earrings. She wears a 2.04 carat princess solitaire in a platinum ring (knock-off of Tiffany''s Lucida). I need help deciding what size earrings to get her. I would think there is some proportion that looks best. I am guessing a 1.5 to 2.0 carat set would be good, but I don''t want to make a mistake on this one. Please help.
-David

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I think a pair in that size total weight sounds about right and are very generous for earrings. Going any bigger will upstage her engagement ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2004 12:59:59 AM
Author:damormino

I would think there is some proportion that looks best
The earrings are not worn anywhere near the ring, right ?
2.gif
Never heard yet of fine matching between earrings and ring stone - shape seems to matter (don't count on everyone matching shapes though!) and then, what Maureen says above.

Perhaps it is unusual to see earrings larger (each) than the ring in any jewelry set. But aside this, no rule comes to mind really.

On the other hand, keeping total weight under 2 cts (each stone below the 1 carat mark that is) will definitely make some difference in cost and not that much in size.

Just my 0.2, of course.

damormino

Rough_Rock
Thanks.
I did some calculations on this. I was thinking that each earring should be smaller than the solitaire in the ring. I guessed that an earring that was 2/3 to 3/4 the diameter of the stone in the ring would be best.

Based on this, if earring is 2/3 the diameter for round cuts (or width for Princess cut), then the volume will be 2/3 times 2/3 times 2/3 or 8/27 (about 0.3). So for a 2.0 carat solitaire ring, you would go for 0.3 times 2.0 or 0.6 carats. That makes for a 1.2 pair.

If the length is 3/4 the size of the solitaire, then it works out to 0.85 carats each - a 1.7 carat pair.

In a 2.0 carat pair each diamond would be be 80% as big (in diameter or length) as a 2.0 carat. That''s probably as big as I''d want to go as anything larger will make it appear that all three stones are the the size.
-David

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm, I like matching the stones to the size of the ear, actually. Preferably, the stones will be small enough so there''s still visible skin around the entire stone or else it might be too much for everyday wear. You can''t really just go by carat weight, since every woman has different size ear lobes. I think you''ll probably be safe if you stick with .75 to 1 each, but if she has teeny lobes like mine that might end up being too big.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Hest. Worry more about what size will suit her earlobes, lifestyle, and style and stature. Any size will compliment her solitaire. Ex. I have a 2.5 ctw e-ring (round) and wear earrings that are about .6ct each. That size is perfect for my small earlobes, casual lifestyle, and medium overall stature.

reena

Ideal_Rock
unless she has teensy elf lobes
2.gif
, i say go with 2 TCW studs (or just under, as ana said, to keep the price down). IMO they're the absolute perfect, dream-size studs. big enough to be bling-y and impressive, but not too big for daily wear. they're someting she's going to want to keep and wear for years and years. (as opposed to going smaller, which may cause her to want to upgrade down the road, or bigger, which she might find uncomfortable/impractical for every day wear.)

i'm jealous!
2.gif

PS--i just noticed that you're getting princess studs not round--which makes me even more convinced that you should go 2 TCW. (since princess stones tend to look smaller than RB stones of the same carat weight. . . )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results