shape
carat
color
clarity

Size, cut, clarity and getting closer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

just looking

Rough_Rock

Ok,

As a side thought I think I’m ready to start talking about cut, amazing enough most of the diamonds I looked at last night were S1 and H in color, I’m really not sure about the cut because that wasn’t readily available. Of course they did have a “store” name for their ideal cut or excellent cut. By the way, the band style was called a “Bella”. I’m sure that can be replicated by the designer her in town or someone even mentioned Whiteflash for customizing.

Here are my questions about stones and color,

Color- f-h, if I go with h will it be noticeable and am I really going to save that much?

Cut- nothing lower than excellent and really wanting to go Ideal, by the way what is an H&A?

Clarity, something at the very least eye clean, so S1 should complete that but can a S2 be eye clean as well?

The ring will be three stones total, the two on the sides will be accent stones of course. So I am think a .8.- .95 for the center stone and on each side a .5, any thoughts on the esthetics ?

My budget is 10k but so far it looks like I may walk in around 7k. As I stated earlier, the 2 ct TW just looked huge on her size 5 finger.

Thanks again for all your help and again what a great site. You have made this much easier and I feel much more confident in this venture.

Thanks,
Matt
emcocktl.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you asked a lot of questions and I think that''s why you haven''t gotten any answers yet! I''ll give you my opinion on a few!

Color: I currently have an F and do not want to go noticeably tinted. I know from looking that a G is fine and maybe an H as long as it is GIA or AGS. Yes, you will save money by going to G or H. F is very high. I am picky and am fine with G/H.

Cut: Good, you''ll be in good shape staying with Ideal. H&A is just one kind of cut within the ideal category and makes up a very small percentage of ideal cut stones. You generally do pay a price premium for them. You can get a gorgeous stone without it being H&A, of course. I had never even heard of H&A until I came on PS.

Clarity: If I am going to get an Ideal cut stone, I want decent color and clarity, too. I won''t sacrifice on any of those. So I won''t go less than VS2 for a center diamond in a ring. I might consider SI1 in earrings if they were very eye clean. I wouldn''t consider SI2. But preferences are up to each individual, obviously!

Side Stones: I think your side stones need to be a little smaller for a .8-.95 center stone. I wouldn''t go more than 1/2 the size of the center stone for each side. (So a .8 center might have .4 on each side, or a 1 ct. might have a .5 on each side). You want the center stone to stand out! I have also tried on a 1ct center with .5 sides and it did look huge on my size 5 finger as well! But because I am older, I can handle the size better now! Lol! I guess that is one of the few plusses of middle age! But also consider that she will grow into the ring very quickly of you go with 1ct. and .5 sides which it sounds like your budget would allow!

Good luck!

just looking

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for taking the time too respond. The store clerk stated that you wont be able to tell an H if it is not beside another higher grade stone and it does make sense. Of course, I would like to stay with a G but I am sure this will all come together once I really do some price comparissons. I dont mind spending a little extra $ if I can see the difference, thus the reason I at least want to go with a excellent cut if not a HA or ideal..

Thanks again for your thoughts

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt, I think that is true about the H. I recently ordered one to look at and it was very colorless to my eyes and I really couldn''t see the color next to my F. But I did see a tinted looking H that had an EGL certificate.

Your budget will allo you to get very nice stones. Since she isn''t after a very large center stone, you have the luxury of not compromising on the color and clarity to go with an excellent cut. That is the best position to be in, in my opinion!

And I also have looked around to see what I really want, but I know I can get whatever I decide on at a better price with one of the online vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results