shape
carat
color
clarity

Sinus Infections

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty sure I have a sinus infection.

It started out as a cold a couple weeks ago, and while my cold symptoms such as sore throat have gone away, my sinus symptoms are getting worse. I have a congested nose that is runny with a constant ache right above my nostrils.

Fun part is as of yesterday I don''t have insurance any more. I just graduated college and am no longer on my parent''s health plan. So, I think I am going to have to tough it out and let it run its course. What are some home remedies/and or medicinces that you guys have used in the past that help with symptoms?

I am so tired of being sick. :(

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
I''m not a big person for medications so I prefer a bath with the aromatherapy dissolve sprinkles that are for cold and allergy or the sinus congestion one. (I get them at Walmart)

-Relieves some pressure and clears up the stuffyness-

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Lots of sleep, advil sinus medicine, hot showers, a neti pot, mucinex, and throat coat tea.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 12:34:36 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
Lots of sleep, advil sinus medicine, hot showers, a neti pot, mucinex, and throat coat tea.

Ditto this. No need for a doctor for sinus issues most of the time - drink a lot of orange juice, too, as it has tons of Vitamin C. I am getting over a sinus infection type thing now (at least, I think that''s what it was - it was only bad for a few days and now I just have the remaining "gunk" to get out), and I drank a carton of OJ a day. I do this every time I get sinus problems and it really helps me clear it up fast.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, definitely get and use a neti-pot. Its a little weird, but really works! Ours came from walmart, the aisle with the other decongestant stuff.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
My stepson used to get frequent sinus infections and he swears by the neti pot. Personally, I''m afraid of drowning.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
urgh, hubs is fighting a nasty sinus infection right now! no fun!

what he''s been doing is the neti pot, hot showers, afrin, saline spray, vicks, hot tea, lots of fluids

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to send you big hugs and well wishes to get better.

I suffered from persistent sinus infections all four years of undergrad, so I know how debilitating they can be. I don''t know any great home remedies other than lots of sleep. Also, I used to boil water in a kettle, pour it into my plugged bathroom sink, and then hang my head over the steamy water with a towel over the back of my head to keep the steam in. That always made me feel a bit opened up.

Feel better!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 1:40:04 PM
Author: Haven
I just want to send you big hugs and well wishes to get better.

I suffered from persistent sinus infections all four years of undergrad, so I know how debilitating they can be. I don''t know any great home remedies other than lots of sleep. Also, I used to boil water in a kettle, pour it into my plugged bathroom sink, and then hang my head over the steamy water with a towel over the back of my head to keep the steam in. That always made me feel a bit opened up.

Feel better!

yes, hubs has been doing that too... he just boils water in the kitchen and puts a towel over his head and breaths in the steam for a while.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope your husband feels better, jcrow.

I had never had a sinus infection before I moved away to college, nor have I had one since I graduated. I loved my school, but that environment gave me sinus infections for whatever reason, and they were miserable. I''m so sorry for people who have to suffer through them.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry that you're sick! I've had sinus problems since I was a little kid and 6 surgeries later I'm more or less healthy. The key to getting over sinus infections without an antibiotic, for me at least, is lots of Mucinex D (can be bought in the pharmacy department over the counter). Mucinex loosens the mucus and lets it come out, and I've had several doctors highly recommend it as the only thing that will really help people with sinus issues. Beware anything like Claritin D, usually used for allergies, as the medication can actually make mucus thicker. I also use a Neti Pot which helps clear out my sinuses a bit. I honestly don't think that it helps that much, but my doctors recommend that as well and it can't hurt. I have gotten over sinus infections while using it, so maybe it's helping more than I know. I just don't get any immediate relief from it like some people do.

Those would be my suggestions. Though my mom says that you can now go to many pharmacies and get simple prescriptions (like antibiotics) from a nurse there for very little money. If your sinus infection isn't cleared up in the next week or two, I would look into that. Sometimes they just won't go away on their own (if they're a real infection, not just lingering congestion) and not treating them with antibiotics can be dangerous as the infection can spread to your lungs and become very hard to deal with.

Good luck!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh -- sinus infections suuuckkkkk! I hope you feel better soon Lily! Can you go to Urgent care at a CVS Pharmacy? If so, they have nurse practitioners there who can write a prescription for medicine. I''d do that and take lots of really hot showers (the steam should help a little). Get better soon!

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I tried some of them out and I feel a bit better. Bad news is that I am starting to run a low grade fever (99.5 last I checked). Hopefully my body will fight it off, but if I am not better in a couple of days I am going to visit a local RediClinic. "Office" visits are 80 dollars, so while not fun to pay for, won''t break the bank or anything.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you have a fever! It definitely sounds like a good idea to see someone if you still have that in a day or two - you wouldn''t want the infection to spread. Good luck!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Great recommendations from everyone above! I get frequent sinus infections and despite best efforts, nearly always need an Rx to clear it up. Most recently, I too had a fever and it was because I had a double ear infection as well as a sinus infection! (With the same symptoms of a normal sinus infection.) If it''s not getting better, medical attention is probably the best thing. Feel better!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 12:34:36 PM
I agree with all these. Also add a humidifier at night if you have one. My sinus are caused by bad allergies so if you know you have allergies try and avoid the outdoors. I am sorry sinus are awful, hugs!!! Hope you feel better soon.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 1:46:18 AM
Author: lilylover
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I tried some of them out and I feel a bit better. Bad news is that I am starting to run a low grade fever (99.5 last I checked). Hopefully my body will fight it off, but if I am not better in a couple of days I am going to visit a local RediClinic. ''Office'' visits are 80 dollars, so while not fun to pay for, won''t break the bank or anything.

hubs was running fever yesterday [102] and ended up going to the doc. they gave him prescripts for cough med, antibiotic, and nasal spray. and he took advil to bring the temp down. he''s finally feeling a little better today.

hope you are feeling better too!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Hey lilylover, How are you feeling today?

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 12:51:27 PM
Thanks for asking! I took some Mucinex last night and it kept me awake until 3am. Ack! I''ve always had trouble with cold medicine keeping me awake instead of making me tired. Anyway, today I feel pretty much the same. I think I might have to give in and go to the doctor.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, forgot to worn you about that...it does the same thing to me. I usually take 2 (or sometimes 3...) advil PM gel caps to help me sleep if I''m taking mucinex...

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Bella -- Glad to know I am not the only one! I will have to remember the advil PM if I take it again near bedtime.

Jcrow -- Hope your hubby feels all the way better soon. If I am not starting to feel better by tomorrow, I am definitely heading to the doctor and paying the fee. There goes those leather boots I''ve had my eye on!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 1:59:34 PM
Author: lilylover

Date: 1/3/2010 12:51:27 PM
Thanks for asking! I took some Mucinex last night and it kept me awake until 3am. Ack! I've always had trouble with cold medicine keeping me awake instead of making me tired. Anyway, today I feel pretty much the same. I think I might have to give in and go to the doctor.

That stinks! Did you take the Mucinex D? Decongestants are stimulants, which often keep people awake at night (people like me!

3.gif
). Try getting regular Mucinex, without the D, to take in the evening. Also, taking half a dose of the D also helps if I'm taking it after 3 or 4pm. I find the D works much better, but it's just not worth it if I'm not going to get any sleep.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
lily

I''ve suffered from sinus issues since I was 20 yrs old - I''m 54 now. Anyway, through trial and lots of error I have finally found a way to fight my sinus issues.
After many doctors just writing a script for antibiotics and decog/antihist meds, I started using a neti pot. Made a huge change. Then I started using a prescription
nasal spray for allergies. Within a few weeks, my sinus headaches were fewer and the pain behind my eyes cleared up some. I do still have an occasional attack, but I
don''t run to the doc. Now I''ll pop some advil and take a pure decog tablet which helps relieve the swelling. Also hot wascloths applied to my face and back of my neck
helps. So does the steam from my dishwasher! Good luck. I hope you find just the right combo to help yourself.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get them too and I know they are miserable. The nasal washes and nasal sprays help me and I take really hot showers before I use them. I hope you get better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results