shape
carat
color
clarity

Simple question on color preferences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
I have located what appears to be the perfect diamond for me but for one exception - it is G in color instead of F. It is a super ideal cut that scores 1.1 on the HCA. With this in mind, is there any real noticeable difference to the naked eye when comparing G to F? I doubt my eyes can see the difference, but my mind hates buying a "near colorless" when I can buy an actual colorless.
7.gif
What say the folks here?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, it is really hard to tell between an F and G. If the cut is good and the stone "speaks" to you, then it''s probably a beautiful stone...that being said, if knowing that it is a "G" rather than an "F" and that''s going to bother you every time you look at the stone, then forego the stone and find yourself an "F". "Mind Clean" has to be as important as "eye clean" or you''ll drive yourself crazy!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you will not be able to tell the difference if it is super ideal. they will face up the same.
i don't even think your mind will lead you to believe otherwise
2.gif

that said, if the price difference isn't too significant, go with the f.
if it is, without a doubt, go with the g.
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This is ME talking. I would absolutely go for a G round. It will look absolutely white!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, I agree. It''s going to be bright white, no worries there!!!!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
We had similar questions when we were shopping for my upgrade. Some vendors told me that some people could tell the difference between a G and an E, but people could usually not tell the difference between two side by side colors like F & G. We went with an E to be safe, which is beautiful. After everything I've since seen and learned, I'm pretty sure that a G would have been just fine. (My smaller earring studs are G color and I can't tell them apart from the E. Size might play a slight factor there... The earring stones are .6ct each and the e-ring stone is 2.5ctw, but I'm pretty convinced that an ideal G will be beautifully white, unless you have a problem with the mental specs. )

If you've found a stone that looks like THE one except for this, I would suggest you have it sent to a local appraiser and view it in person. Even better if you can have two stones sent so that you can view them side by side and compare. It typically costs the return shipping and the appraisal fee (which varies pretty widely) if you don't keep it. If you keep it, you are just a step ahead in getting the ring completed.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most people can not tell the difference between them when the two are well cut, and a well cut G stone may actually look whiter than a poorly cut F stone. I have a picture I took some time ago that demonstrates this that I will post if I can find it.

Your biggest problem appears to be in your mind though, so it may not matter what the stone looks like. I always try to encourage my clients to buy what they like, regardless of the paper. Have a good talk with your vendor if you can and ask him how the stone faces up. If you can get to somewhere where you can see it compared to other stones, you may end up liking it more than a medium or even well cut F. Hard to say until you see it.

You will find the cutting to be much more important than the color when you have seen more than a few stones. Many people who start out looking only for D - F colors after reading on the net end up buying much lower colors once they have seen what cutting can do. Of course many also go for the great cutting AND the great color, it really is a matter of personal taste and budget. (Clarity is a non issue to most of my clients so long as the stone is eye clean, as cut and color really are what you can see.)

Wink

Color-comparrisonjpg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results