shape
carat
color
clarity

sidestones for cushion ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I will searching for a 3.5 - 4.0 elongated cushion soon - more rectangular in shape, but here is my question.

Almost every elongated I have seen, has half moons for side stones. I do not like half moons.

The design I am thinking about will be to have a micro pave halo around the center stone and then side stones and then stones on all 3 sides of the shank.

Any ideas?

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
What about trapezoids? I saw them either side of an asscher diamond and they looked wonderful.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Here''sa few ideas - just pretend the center is a cushion:
RTD-0663-62637.jpg

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on a 3+ ct cushion recently with baguettes... beautiful! Also, here''s a link to another thread with cushion and shields. I love that as well.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-and-shields.23167/

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
one more - these are both by www.jbstar.com

RTD-0995-62706.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you guys are great!

Treysar, that ring you posted is close to what I am thinking about.

I love, love, love traps. But with a brilliant cushion, would you use strp-cut traps or brilliant traps?

How would the straight edge of the trap look nestled up close to the curved edges of the cushion or the curved edge of the pave halo???

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just a drawing
4.gif
I have not seen a ring made exactly like you describe.

CushioAndTraps.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
How about my personal fav- three cushions ! :) They could be big or little. I wish my sides were a little smaller actually.
I could totally see three surrounded by pave. The thought crossed my mind- when I get to my ''forever'' setting that is!

SIDESTONES.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hmm, i wasn''t sure about squarish edges on side stones with the pretty feminie curvy cushion, but i have to admit the one that ana posted looks nice!

what exactly is a halo?? kind of like bezel, but set higher?? (since it''s called a halo, i assume it would be above). i''ve seen that tossed around lately and i''m not sure what it means!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Found the link.....http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Vivid-Yellow-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Ring.htm

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a pic of the complete set - cool!

Asscher 3 rings.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another JB Star

RTD-1328-59087.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I know this isn''t a three stone:

dfl_cush6.jpg

oooooh I just hurt myself
16.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
26.gif
25.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Who the hell cares LOL

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, ya''ll are the best!

The Beaudry rings are so very close to what I am trying to get "right" in my mind. I came so close buying one recently, but backed off because for the price, I thought the stone quality should have been better.

I really want Leon Mege to make this ring, but I am a 3 hr. plane trip away.

Is there a general rule for side stone porportions? I like side stones that "fill up" the sides. The Beaudry that is posted, I think the side stone is too small - but hey, what do I know! What size do ya''ll think would be appropriate for a 3-4ct. stone with rectangular dimensions?

Ana, thank you so much for your post. I have saved that in my ring file.

My one negative thought about using the "halo or frame" around the center stone is that it might date the ring. But I guess all rings other than tried and true classics could fall into that category.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 3:54
6.gif
1 PM
Author: Ann

I really want Leon Mege to make this ring, but I am a 3 hr. plane trip away.
i think it still may be worth it, even if you have to work with him long distance. it seems like others have done this and ended up with the ring that they wanted! i mean, his work is beautiful without the HUGE price tag. maybe try giving him a call and if you feel comfortable with him, do for it!

and thanks ana for the description! that was very helpful and those rings are so pretty!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2005 3:54:1 PM
Author: Ann

My one negative thought about using the 'halo or frame' around the center stone is that it might date the ring. But I guess all rings other than tried and true classics could fall into that category.
The design has been around for a couple centuries already... I wouldn't worry about it becoming dated
2.gif

The side on the last Beaudry ring are pretty small, but they might not have been room for more - the center is 10 carats or so. Actually, that's why I said a smaller stone would look even better with sides and intricate detail
34.gif
I really think so.

A few Pricescopers worked with Artofplatimum remotely (there is a thread about this). I really think the quality of the work is better there than the rings above show, althoug it seems that some diplomacy is required establishing the details of the design. Leon will probably come with his own improvement over your general guidelines... but again, I could hardly imagine better source of advice.

What shapes would the sides be ? Half moons are relatively shallow and do come in a particularly elongated version that would likely match the longer sides of the 3 carat rectangular cushion. The weight would vary allot with depth and the precise cut details - I wouldn't know to pin it down. Half a carat each and they are pretty darn big already. Traps are narrower, but there's no serious rule - anything goes.

You may find this page at Diamonds by Lauren useful for choosing sidestones. Same Icestore.com

Trapsrad.JPG

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,

It seems to me that you really have your heart set on a Michael Beaudry ring like the one attached below, but you just don''t want to pay his retail price. From your previous posts, I know you have tried on his rings before. After you have seen Beaudry, nothing else comes close. Have you tried negotiating a discount or just buy the mounting? I am having my old round diamond reset in the Beaudry stilette mounting. I am going through a local retail jeweler, The Diamond Broker, but Beaudry VP Stephen, is personally overseeing the fabrication and he even helped me get the diamond recut to more ideal proportions and recertified and laser inscribed by GIA. Your mounting is going to be expensive no matter who makes it. The attached ring is a 5 carat cushion center flanked by `0.9 ct trapezoids. For a 3.5 to 4 carat cushion, if you like bigger side stones to line up with the length of the center, you''ll probably need at least 1 to 1.25 carats tw. Plus you will need about 1 carat of small rounds for pave. If you don''t want to go with Beaudry, I agree Leon Mege is the best among the jewelers who have rings posted on Pricescope.

Art Nouveau

45B18 Beaudry.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Art,

I am so glad you are getting your Beaudry. Hi s work is indeed gorgeous. I thought he would not allow any other diamonds but his own, in his settings? I think there was a post on PS about that in the past. Was it Chinluvr that Beaudry would not stamp the inside of her ring because it was her own stone? But maybe because he is recutting it for you, that changes things. Anyway, yes the ring you posted is very close to what I want. I have been looking at Beaudry for years and finally decided to go the custom route because of the price. I know I can get bigger and better than some of the rings I have looked at at his trunk shows. I mean a 3ct. cushion SI2 G with trap sides and his settings for $111,000.?!? That was after the host jeweler "reduced" the price a bit. Please post pics after you get yours, it will be stunning I''m sure.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,

It is true Beaudry will not stamp "Beaudry" on the mounting if the center stone is not theirs, but they will stamp a ''B'' with the Beaudry ''fleur de lis'' symbol. I was told one of the reasons for doing that is to let appraisers know that the center stone is not a Beaudry original. I believe Beaudry picks the center stones primarily for the cut but I have seen a wide range of quality in their center stones. The ring you quoted sounds too expensive. I have seen a 5 carat cushion set in a mounting similar to what I posted for less. Some jewelers may be willing to give a bit better discount. Good luck to your search for the perfect ring. No mater what you decide to do, I''m sure you will end up with something magnificent.

Art Nouveau

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
1- 1.25 tcw for the sides? I bet more like 1-1.25 each (is that what you meant?) My puny 2.14 cushion LOL has .50 each sides...This bad boy is going to look HUGE and I can''t wait to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results