shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stone colours

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I currently have blue sapphire sidestones but with my upgrade, the diamond will not fit into its current setting. So I have to find different sidestones to go with the center stone. Will it look odd to have red sidestones? I know lots of people choose blue sapphires because the cool blue can make the diamond appear whiter. What about red? Will it make the diamond look warmer?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I could have sworn that I have seen a ring with ruby side stones, and it was incredible. I think you just have to get what you like. If red looks warm, I would imagine that green would as well, and yet I haven''t seen that to be the case either. I dunno. Punt.
2.gif

Not trying to be as unhelpful as it appears that I am being, but I just cannot imagine that a set of matched burmas would do anything but enhance a diamond. KWIM

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2007 6:03:02 PM
Author: Shay37
Chrono, I could have sworn that I have seen a ring with ruby side stones, and it was incredible. I think you just have to get what you like. If red looks warm, I would imagine that green would as well, and yet I haven''t seen that to be the case either. I dunno. Punt.
2.gif

Not trying to be as unhelpful as it appears that I am being, but I just cannot imagine that a set of matched burmas would do anything but enhance a diamond. KWIM

shay
Here is a link to ForteKitty''s stuff. She has a D VS2 next to ruby side stones in this pic. what do you think? linky

shay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SP recently had a three stone ring from Tiffany with a diamond center and ruby sides. It was pretty, but nothing beats blue sapphires for colored sidestones, in my opinion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone on here has a square-ish cut diamond with red side stones by Leon... I have no idea who... but they also posted pics of their 'inpiration' Leon... and BOTH the inspiration and their final Leon were just amazing. Are you thinking of using some of your AMAZING spinels? The ones I've been drooling over for an age???
31.gif
I think it would look just fabulous, and not at all strange. Definitely eye-catching though.

Found it! Just_looking's ring... This thread has pics of the inspiration and the final. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-rounds-with-trillions.36369/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shay, DS and Gypsy,
Thanks for the links and input. They are helpful. I still can''t make up my mind because red sidestones are so uncommon. There are so many blues with diamonds. Yes, I was thinking of using those red spinels, which I think would really make the entire ring stand out but was concerned about making my diamond look warm, plus I hardly see this look around in real life where I live. I guess I need to play around with them more. I''ve tried to put them next to my center stone and they looked all right but wanted to get other perspectives, especially from those who have used red and blue sidestones.

cadmia

Rough_Rock
My setting is a solitaire with diamind and pink sapphire pave. I''d be happy to pose a picture if you like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Cadmia. I would appreciate a picture.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favourite rings EVER belongs to a friend, it is a 3 stone with a round centre diamond of around .70 carats and 2 round ruby side stones of around .30 each, this ring is stunning and the diamond looks as white as can be, also the rubies are great quality too. So that would get my vote Chronie as I have actually seen a ring like that and loved it...
30.gif
30.gif
I am sure a square centre would be incredible with this look too!

tangoecho

Rough_Rock
Personally I love red sidestones just for the fact that it is so much more rare than seeing blue sapphires. And even though it''s different, it''s still very classic.

Could or would you be willing to buy the red rubies/spinels/whatever to see them next to your diamond to know for sure and if it''s a no go, either return them or set them into studs or another piece of jewelry?

cadmia

Rough_Rock
Here you go. It''s not exactly what you''re looking for, but might be helpful. The center stone is 1.03 H ES from WhiteFlash.

myring0184658.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chronie, I was also thinking if the rubies or spinels have a slight blue tint to the red, then this would help a diamond''s face up look too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Red is my favorite color...I wear red clothes, I carry a red purse, red and white were my wedding colors. I''d put in red sidestones in a heartbeat, and wouldn''t care what anyone else might do.

Since sapphires come in so many beautiful colors, why not just pick your favorite color? Or go with blue again. That is a beautiful combo, and will always look wonderful.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d ABSOLUTELY go with rubies......

In fact, I think a nice pair of Richard Homer concave-cut rubies would be DELICIOUS!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tangoecho,
I already have the red spinels. I also put them as best as I could next to the diamond. The effect is very shocking as the red is very "red". That's why I'm wondering about putting them in as sidestones. The blue is calming but the red is "wowsers". I was concerned that this look is uncommon. Maybe I should just do as I please?

Lorelei,
I don't think the spinels have a blue tint. If anything, it has a teeny tiny hint of orange but even that is hard to pick up. It is basically almost a true red. I'm glad you like the effect of red stones with a diamond.

FlyGirl,
You are right. I guess I should just do as I please. I love blue and had blue sapphire sidestones in the original ring to symbolize my 2 boys. However, these red spinels are so delicious I just had to have them, so I bought them but never had them set. Lately, I really want to be able to admire them on my hand, so I thought why not use them as sidestones with my new diamond which will need a whole new setting instead of spending more money to get larger blue sapphires?

Alj,
Sorry, no Homer cut rubies. Just reusing existing spinels.

I've been thinking about prongs too. Should I do YG prongs for the sidestones with WG prongs for the center diamond? Or all YG for the ring? Or all WG for the ring?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Ah. I missed that detail in your second post about the spinels.

".... the red is "wowsers". I was concerned that this look is uncommon. Maybe I should just do as I please?"

Absolutely! Uncommon (done well) equals STUNNING and fabulous.

I think it''s a great re-use idea for the spinels. Can''t wait to see this project come together!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in the do as you please camp. I love those spinels of yours and just think they would look fabulous in a three stone (can you link me to your new diamond, I seem to have missed that thread) especially BECAUSE of the color. As for settings. They are a REALLY rich red, so I don''t think you have to go for yello gold unless you want to. I think I probably wouldn''t, or would just go for yellow gold prongs on the spinels.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am quite overwhelmed by the votes for reds as sidestones. I guess even though its uncommon, quite a few PSers like the look.

Gypsy,
No links to the upgrade yet but it''ll be in next week. It''s supposed to be this week but there''s this little hiccup called Jewish holidays so it''s been delayed a week.

One more question:
The spinels are a wee bit rectangular. Just a little. At a glance, I thought they were square, but upon closer inspection, they were actually rectangular. I''m wondering if it''ll look better set NS or EW.
Diamond dimensions are about 6.3 mm
I''m guessing that the spinel dimensions are approximately 4.5 mm x 5 mm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I feel as if I should know this... but what shape is the center stone? And if it is a fancy... what''s the L/W ratio of the diamond.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, see my avatar? There''s your answer.
9.gif
Perfectly square with clipped corners.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah. I feel like a moron now, thank you. LOL. Hmm. I''m thinking east west on the spinels. I would get them measured at a jewelry store though, I took my spinels in to a random store I''ve bought a colored stone at before and they measured them without demur and told me what they thought of them (complimented them). Of course, I was looking at earring jackets for them at the store, but still.

Um. Who''s gonna do the setting for you? Have you decided that yet, BTW?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn''t you at all, Gypsy.
2.gif
It''s actually my fault for not providing enough information because my initial question was about red sidestones, then it evolved into prong colours, then into settings. My thoughts are just all over the place. I haven''t decided if I''ll do it locally, have the internet diamond vendor do it, or custom. I''ve only been playing around with ideas. I''m also not sure if I''ll ever upgrade the center diamond again, hence I''m not sure how much $$$ I want to spend on the setting.

I had the measurements of the spinels someplace originally but lost them. Yes, I should get them measured for accurate dimensions. Okay, I''ll bring them in to the local jeweller this weekend. Thanks.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cadmia,

Your ring is gorgeous. Love the sapphires.

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I''ve got the dimensions of the spinels: 5.1mm x 5.3mm

I''m thinking white metal for the entire ring. My next concern is finger real estate. This combo spans my ENTIRE finger!
23.gif
Okay, so I''m laying it flat across my finger but is it overkill?

I''m also guessing that with such odd dimensions of a center AND sidestones, this will have to be custom?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me I would LOVE the finger real estate, and would want Leon to make the three stone for me. I've seen three of his three stones... two were Widgets and one was KristyDarlings, and I can honestly say I have never EVER EVER seen a nicer three stone setting ANYWHERE. I've seen some I like as much (Harry Winston) but have never seen any that surpass Leons. And I would definitely do it in platinum.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono I think red sidestones will be stunning. How about white gold setting but with yellow prongs on the red stones?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn''t worry about the sidestones making your center stone look warm. I think in general when there is contrast with another color it makes the stones look more white if anything unless it''s pale yellow or something. I think spinels would look awesome with diamonds. Do you have any pictures of the three stones lined up?

carotene

Rough_Rock
A little late on the reply here. chrono, have you made a decision on the side stones? I''m having a custom Ering with ruby side stones made as we speak. would u like to see a pic of the WF CAD?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carotene,
I''d love that! Thank you. I haven''t made up my mind 100% yet but am still leaning that way. I also can''t decide if I want regular baskets or a trellis style setting.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a wrap al la Woobug so you change change things up if you aren''t feeling like going red?? I love red! One of my favorite colors. Do you have pics? I am so excited for you Chrono!!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results