shape
carat
color
clarity

Si2 Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nickk

Rough_Rock
Newbie Question...

Is it possible for an stone to be an Si2 with eye visible intrusions? Particularly a black intrusion when looking at the diamond on an angle. The stone is a 1.28 ct RB G

Thanks

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
If a strong lab like GIA or AGS did the grading, it is likely that anything VS2 and above will be completely eye-clean. But every SI1 and SI2 diamond is different. Some have inclusions visible to some people and many others don’t. If you're buying on the internet and eye-clean is important to you a clear definition between buyer and seller is critical.

Another important thing to remember is that clarity is graded looking down on the crown of the diamond, not from the side or bottom. A diamond that is clean from the top may still have side-visible inclusions.

Here is a thread that may be helpful.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is possible, as John pointed out. What matters most, when deciding whether the SI2 in question is a "good" diamond or not, is whether or not the inclusion bothers you much, and where it is located. Some inclusions can be hidden under the prongs or set in a way that makes them less likely to be seen.

nickk

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the quick responses. This info helps a lot!

Cheers.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 6:38:25 PM
Author: nickk

Cheers.
You''re welcome, of course.

HMG - Great to see you dry and posting
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
The color of an inclusion really helps to either hide or show it also. If it is dark, much easier to see. If it is white and wispy or clear, obviously it will be harder to see. Yup I am the queen of the obvious.
2.gif

Shay

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 6:44:56 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 9/27/2005 6:38:25 PM
Author: nickk

Cheers.
You''re welcome, of course.

HMG - Great to see you dry and posting
2.gif
Hehehe, thanks John!!! I think we actually got it worse at my parents'' house, where I went after evacuating!! There we had rain all day and some pretty good wind gusts...here, at my apartment, the only evidence of anything happening was my blinking microwave clock. Go figure.
9.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
nickk,

I agree with what the others advised as well. When selecting SI quality diamonds that may be questionable I would sugest that you request magnified digital images of diamond. You could also request to view the diamond in person. Being given the opportunity to view the diamond through photos or direct viewing consultation will help make your decision much faster and easier. That way you will know for yourself if in fact the diamond is eye-clean by what your eyes tell you. Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results