shape
carat
color
clarity

SI2 Clarity Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

osugirl

Rough_Rock
I love this site and have been reading for a while but have not posted yet. Great information and much fun to be had here! There have been many posts about clarity in SI graded stones and I have a story that may put things in perspective for many readers. I recently upgraded my e-ring from a .5 marquise to a 1.02 princess cut and felt that wasn''t big enough so I went for a 1.5 princess cut and then decided I wanted an oval cut after looking at one at my jewlers that I fell in love with. I now have a 1.75 ctw oval that is an SI2. Believe it or not, it did not even register to me what SI2 really meant because I fell in love with the size, color (E!) and fire of the stone (this was before I was a frequenter of Pricescope!). Anyway, to make a long story short, I spent several days gazing at my new rock in all types of light, outside in the bright sun and clouds, indoors, you name it, and never saw an inclusion, just a big white rock with lots of sparkles. One day, I must have had the diamond at just the right angle in just the right light and was mortified to see three small black inclusions at one end of the table. It really bothered me for a while. I considered taking it back to my jeweler and exchanging (they give you the full price of the diamond on any exchange, hence my 3 upgraded diamonds in one year
10.gif
!), but I loved everything else about the stone and didn''t really want to exchange yet another diamond. I know where the inclusions are and I can see them with my naked eye, but I am sure that no one else could if I didn''t even see them for several days. Even though it is not "eye clean" to me now, I know it is "eye clean" because no one but me is going to stare at it for 3 days straight...right?? I get many compliments on my ring and no one has ever noticed anything about it. My manicurist even comment about how "clear" it looks and she has it right under her nose quite a bit! I hope this helps those who question SI graded stones!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Welcome to Pricescope!
1.gif

I have had two SI1 stones. The first was "eye clean" (meaning after much staring I never saw anything) face up, however, looking through the pavilion of the diamond, I could see a BIG black crystal. It kind of bothered me, but not enough for me to want another stone. My current e-ring is also a SI1. And this one, when I tilt the diamond at the right angle, I can easily see what looks like a line (it''s a group of pinpoints I believe). It is even easier to notice when the stone is dirty. However, I can only find it when I stick the ring up to my face and stare. I know that no one else can see it, even my FI couldn''t see it when I tried to point it out to him. And actually, I enjoy having this inclusion eye visible, because it is an easy "birthmark" for me to identify if I were to leave the ring at a jewelers, etc.

When I purchased my current stone, the jeweler made this big speech about how SI1 stones that he sold were all eye clean, yada yada yada...then I go and find this eye visible inclusion ten seconds later! So maybe I just have excellent eyes (well, excellent when I''m wearing my glasses
2.gif
) But either way, I LOVE
30.gif
my stone, and the SI category is quite cost effective.

So to finish my rambling, my eye visible inclusion doesn''t bother me at all, but that''s ME. It''s up to you if it bothers you too much. I know some people can''t stand even knowing that there is an inclusion even ever so slightly visible. Me, I like my stone''s "birthmarks."
3.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a large SI2 from Whiteflash. The stone is over 4 carats and Lesley looked for several weeks before she found one she thought was suitable. It is difficult to find an SI2 that is eye clean in this size but Lesley found one. It is also Ideal cut.AGS0.
When the stone came in, Brian examined it and said it was a winner. I have had the ring for several months and, although I can easily spot the inclusions with a 10 power loupe, I cannot find them with my naked eyes no matter how hard I look.
There are eye clean SI stones out there but you have to be patient if you want one. Also some slightly visible inclusions do not detract from the beauty of the stone and only you will know it is there.
You get a lot more stone for your money if you can find a really good SI stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results