clarity

Show us your Chrysoberyls

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1409539514|3742722 said:
So I bought this...
http://www.thegemtrader.com/June14ChrysoPage.htm
Brad made me an offer I could not refuse.
This pear is a "color twin" to my Richard Homer stone (photos earlier in this thread). So much so that the Homer stone and the pear may end up in a pendant together!
So I now own three chrysoberyls -- my Richard Homer portuguese cut, my cats eye from Brad and now this gigantic pear, also from Brad -- all from Orissa, India. And to think that just a few short years ago I wasn't sure I even liked chrysoberyls...

I have to get serious about setting my stones! No more new purchases (well, except for side stones).

Ugh! Ive been hoping someone would buy that lovely thing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wohoo! I am looking forward to more individual chrysoberyl threads as Lula and IS figure out how they want to set their stones.

IS_EDS

Rough_Rock
Chrono,
The setting for my chryso will be a simple lotus-type setting made of 18k yellow gold. I was torn between pink and yellow gold and decided to go with yellow gold since the stone is more yellow than greenish yellow to my eye.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This is my new 1,89 ct Chrysoberyl cushion bought from Denis Gravier. Orign should by Sri Lanka.

They stone on the left is a burmese colorless 1,56 ct and the stone on the right a ( tested ) Vanadium chrysoberyl ( 0,78 ct ) with a very light color.
The 1,89 ct is slightly bluishgreen in daylight and near colorless in incandescent light - in my opinion not enough for a vanadium chrysoberyl.
It is a borderline colorless to V-Chrysoberyl. Eyeclean with one small negative chrystal.

Indirect daylight:

direct daylight:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Marlow|1409248438|3740860 said:
Yes - it is a vendor from Belgium - a nice chinese woman ( a very active seller :D )

30 % are only for adults ( :oops: ) and 40% animals - the carving has a very high quality. Not cheap - I would collect them but not enough money for gems and netsuke. The rest are dragons, skulls and typical ancient japanese people.

I have a custom declaration that it is mammoth ivory - not bone - fascinating material ( Jurassic Park-like) from Russia. Untreated - only a bit ink.
I had no idea...more stuff th collect:)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, but not cheap....around 350 EUR each.

The sleeping cat is my only one. She is always in Munichshow and Springshow and I need the money for gems :D

A piece I liked very much were two little mice on two peanuts. She offers netsuke in mammoth ivory and very small in an extremely hard wood.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
An almost 5ct cats eye.
It's between apple green to honey color

img_6478.jpg

img_6479.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice, I love how transparent it is, and the eye is so sharp.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
This sweet little minty green pear chryso will be on its way to me in the new year from Jason Brim at Select Gem. Some of you may have seen it on the Facebook sale page as well.

He describes it as "2.50ct Mint Green (Vanadium?) Chrysoberyl, 11.0 x 6.3 x 5.0 mm, untreated, ceylon, eye clean but for some silk. Nice cutting." I don't know if it will be as pretty as its glamour shot, but it wasn't expensive and I thought it was an intriguing looking stone that's very different to anything else that I have. It's possibly a bit shallow but I don't know if that will be an issue at all. I haven't seen many pear chrysoberyls around either.

10846249_10152894281207230_236517903885190214_n.jpg

10849801_10152894281192230_3268408696088730030_n.jpg

10857815_10152894281197230_4376766672621757614_n.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I think I can tell where this stone is from..I mean the minty green chrysoberyl
I'm very familiar with this ebay seller pictures

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think this chrysoberyl will show a weak cat eye. Put a little drop of oil or water on the table facet and use a strong light.

OTL

your cat eye is to die for!!!! :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyls have escaped my radar so far as I cannot wear yellow. However, the CS section of PS has enlightened me about this gemstone, in that it is suitable for daily wear, and comes in a variety of colours, including grey; and cats eyes are in fact Chrysoberyls (I love cats eyes ever since I was in my teens).

I would dearly love a grey cats eye in future.

Thanks everyone for sharing your treasures.

DK :))

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I found it on my eBay didn't win list

I hope you didn't pay for ten times what it's sold for :-o

_25626.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OTL|1419845161|3809012 said:
I found it on my eBay didn't win list

I hope you didn't pay for ten times what it's sold for :-o
Originally listed for $275, then he marked it down to $225.....

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You are so cruel!!! :D

InToTheMystic:

i would send it back if you now think you paid to much - def. no Vanadium Chrysoberyl!

Vanadium Chrysoberyl is light to medium bluishgreen - and not grayishgreenish-yellow. $ 125 / 50 pct would be o.k. imo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the vendor (I immediately figured out who he is too) charged a fair retail price, but the fact is that you can still buy chrysoberyl on ebay for dirt cheap prices. That is one gemstone I highly recommend searching around for.

It doesn't look vanadium to me either. Aren't they supposed to be a minty green?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL

I think the best color ( the only I am looking for) is a COOL bluish green - a merelani mint has a bitmore yellow.
Otherwise it is green chrysoberyl.

Vanadium Chrysoberyl is never slightly yellow green.

Here is a PSer with a gorgous V-Chryso set in rose gold - perfect!! You know this ring and stone.

Like Phosphophylite or some bright bluishgreen afghan Tourmaline.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
@InToTheMystic:
I hope youcan post a picture when you receive it as well, since Jason didn't even take a picture himself, I'm curious what does this chrysoberyl look in person. My chrysoberyl from this ebay seller is nothing like vendor picture :(sad It looks more like yours

Here you go

_25638.jpg

img_6521.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
And I simply bought it because I've never seen chrysoberyl with horsetail incousions...It's so weird. I wonder if it is because some heavily treatment on this stone? Or that's a natural form?

img_6522.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL: thanks for all that information; I often recognize stones from various sellers as recent ebay purchases but I did not recognize this one. I don't really take issue with those knowledgeable vendors who buy off ebay and then flip at a profit; its the ones who know little and bring little to the transaction and then ask for exorbitantly more than they bought it for that really bother me. To justify huge price increases, at a minimum, I would want the vendor buying off of ebay to 1) wait until they have the stone in hand and have verified with proper equipment (at least a refractometer and a few other tools) that the stone is as represented; 2) take and use their own photos of the stone. I don't mind at all if these sellers do the legwork to find good buys on ebay (and reap the rewards) but for a price tenfold more than the ebay price, they should provide us some surety and the benefit of another set of eyes and photos of the stone in question. I believe Jason is one that typically does this (only in this case, he did not take additional photos) and is a respectable seller from whom I would buy. I cannot say the same for many other "flippers," as I do not see the value added they bring.

Sorry for the threadjack, but certainly appreciate your watchful eye, OTL and think your catseye is stunning in its perfection. :sun:

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1419850227|3809023 said:
You are so cruel!!! :D

InToTheMystic:

i would send it back if you now think you paid to much - def. no Vanadium Chrysoberyl!

Vanadium Chrysoberyl is light to medium bluishgreen - and not grayishgreenish-yellow. $ 125 / 50 pct would be o.k. imo.

Thanks Marlow - I didn't pay very much for it at all, and I certainly wasn't buying it for the potential vanadium tag. I just liked the frosty colour with a slight greenish tinge. I'm less of a true collector and more of a bower bird, I'm afraid. :)

I'll be very interested to see what it looks like in person as well, and will be sure to post pics when it arrives.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Meant to add that I will have no hesitation packing it right back to him if it looks nothing like the pics or if I'm not happy with it. ;-)

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1419880144|3809201 said:
OTL: thanks for all that information; I often recognize stones from various sellers as recent ebay purchases but I did not recognize this one. I don't really take issue with those knowledgeable vendors who buy off ebay and then flip at a profit; its the ones who know little and bring little to the transaction and then ask for exorbitantly more than they bought it for that really bother me. To justify huge price increases, at a minimum, I would want the vendor buying off of ebay to 1) wait until they have the stone in hand and have verified with proper equipment (at least a refractometer and a few other tools) that the stone is as represented; 2) take and use their own photos of the stone. I don't mind at all if these sellers do the legwork to find good buys on ebay (and reap the rewards) but for a price tenfold more than the ebay price, they should provide us some surety and the benefit of another set of eyes and photos of the stone in question. I believe Jason is one that typically does this (only in this case, he did not take additional photos) and is a respectable seller from whom I would buy. I cannot say the same for many other "flippers," as I do not see the value added they bring.

Sorry for the threadjack, but certainly appreciate your watchful eye, OTL and think your catseye is stunning in its perfection. :sun:

I got no problem with sellers do that as well, as long as they verify the stone based on their knowledge and some simple tests and use their own photos. But i would say ten times asking price is too much. Luckily it seems buyer didn't actually pay for the asking sale price tag.

Gemajames

Shiny_Rock
Here is my first chryso, from Dana Reynolds and cut by Paul Burton. It's neon! I had the side trillions from an E-bay purchase years ago and could never convince myself to like them, but something kept me from selling them. I sent David Klass some of my ideas and we agreed on a design. I was shocked to find the sides total about 1.50 ctw. since they were sold to me as 25 points each. I knew they were bigger than that, but had no clue they would weigh what they do. As always David's work is divine and I'm the proud owner of a wonderful neon green-yellow chrysoberyl ring.

_25646.jpg

_25647.jpg

_25648.jpg

_25649.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That certainly is a neon chrysoberyl - beautiful ring. Congrats.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1419879222|3809197 said:
And I simply bought it because I've never seen chrysoberyl with horsetail incousions...It's so weird. I wonder if it is because some heavily treatment on this stone? Or that's a natural form?

As far as I know, byssolite fibers - horsetail inclusions - are found only in Russian Demantoid. I believe what you are seeing in that chrysoberyl is the more typical rutile needles or silk. :))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Byssolith in Chrysoberyl is not possible.

In Demantoid it is protogenetic ( first the Byssolith and then the garnet)

Think it is not a mineral - a growth structure or "healing".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 carat each chrysoberyl sides with sapphire center, all African stones.

tlsapphirechrysring.jpg

This is a round 2ct diamond cut chrysoberyl that sparkles like mad. Photos don't do it justice. It's far more saturated in person and the cut and luster are amazing. I set it in an antique style setting in yellow gold.

tlsparkleydiamondcutchrysoberyl.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have one Chrysoberyl that is set in an eRing that shifts from an almost honey color to yellowish to greenish, but the color doesn't look good on me, so I'm going to swap it out when I find another stone for the setting. My other chrysoberyls are unset and definitely lean toward the green. Top photo makes them look more green than they do in most most lighting and second is the cushion under a fluorescent ring lamp.

eRing stone was purchased from Jason Brim; upper left oval from Jeff Davies; lower left oval from Primagems (this is a very glowy stone in most lighting) and cushion is from Gary Braun.

chrysos.jpg

_25662.jpg

looking_green.jpg

chryso_ering.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemajames|1419889994|3809275 said:
Here is my first chryso, from Dana Reynolds and cut by Paul Burton. It's neon! I had the side trillions from an E-bay purchase years ago and could never convince myself to like them, but something kept me from selling them. I sent David Klass some of my ideas and we agreed on a design. I was shocked to find the sides total about 1.50 ctw. since they were sold to me as 25 points each. I knew they were bigger than that, but had no clue they would weigh what they do. As always David's work is divine and I'm the proud owner of a wonderful neon green-yellow chrysoberyl ring.

Gosh I looove this ring. I also am pretty sure its my sister in laws dream ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results