shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your UNDER $1000 mountings!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so I am back at square one (sort of) trying to decide on a setting. I keep chanign my mind and need your help. Thank you so much for putting up with me through all the madness!!
emsmileo.gif

Our total ring budget is $7K. I was thinking of $5K-$5500 on the stone (so about 1 carat) and $1500-$2000 on a nice setting from MWM or Leon or something similar, in platinum.

Now, I am wondering if its best to get a very simple, plain already made mounting for under $1K, and use about $6 on a stone (we can get bigger and/or better color, etc this way). I will have to talk to my FF about this, but I imagine he will be OK with the idea of upgrading the mounting one day. I suppose rather than getting an anniversary band, we can make a new mounting for my ring!

So, here is where I need some help.

Should I get platinum or WG???
33.gif

And if you can show me your favorite mountings that are under $1000, that would be FANTABULOUS!!.
36.gif

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
oh, and I forgot to say that we plan to buy our stone from GOG, so if they have any mountings you suggest, I am all ears!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
You can get a plain wg 4 prong or 6 prong mounting most any place for $150 or so or platinum would be more like $500-700 for plain unbranded mounting. Then you could put the majority of your budget into your stone and upgrade the setting for an anniversary. Oh and Go Dawgs! (I was born and raised in the ATL!!)

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Tiffany replica from Superbcert in WG for $575 http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Classic-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-640.html

I also love the Sisley by Vatche in WG http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Vatche-Diamond-Rings--Sisley-Engagement-Ring-by-Vatche-1543.html (the only pic I could find was on Excel''s site, but I know GOG carries Vatche too)

This WG setting called "Inspiration" made by Knox has always caught my eye and is $790 http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=797&action=show_detail

And "legacy" by Knox for $890 http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=920&action=show_detail

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
this is true. maybe I will do this and then we can save some money and I will have time to design a setting. I will ahve to ask him what he thinks.

GO DAWGS!!
Where is ATL did you grow up?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This little peice is pretty fantabulous for $1400, depending on your taste. The Pearlman's 'special deals' section has nice settings, either new on clearance or second hand that might work for you. Also check out the signed pieces settings, I think they have some for under $1000.

ETA: Platinum 3 stone
Platinum 5 stone $1500
Scott Kay $800

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I grew up in Marietta, where are you from?
I got my solitare setting at Shane Company there b/c I knew that it was just a temp. setting until I decide on if I want a 3 stone or another solitare design. Mine was only $125 and then when I decide what I do want, I can trade the setting in for earrings or some other piece of jewlery so that it''s not just a waste. Anyway, just an idea!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Conduct some searches for stones in the $6-6500k range & compare to the $5-5500k range. If you like more of what you see in the $6-6500k range, then go that route and have it set in a nice solitaire setting for $500-$600. However, if you find that there is not much of a difference to you between both ranges, then you know you can devote more of your budget to the setting. Should you decide to do this, please know that diamond inventories are rather low right now, so you might not have much to look at.

Also, you might also want to ask yourself whether the stone or setting is most important to you. If you are someone who wants as much bling as she can afford, then I would spend as much as I could on the stone, with the thought of upgrading the setting later. However, there are people who view the setting as highly as the stone. If you are one of those people, allocate extra money toward the setting then. Then of course, there are those of us in between...

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 1:56:57 PM
Author: steph72276
Hey, I grew up in Marietta, where are you from?
I got my solitare setting at Shane Company there b/c I knew that it was just a temp. setting until I decide on if I want a 3 stone or another solitare design. Mine was only $125 and then when I decide what I do want, I can trade the setting in for earrings or some other piece of jewlery so that it''s not just a waste. Anyway, just an idea!

Nice! I went to HS in Alpharetta, College in Athens and now live in Woodstock.

I knew Shane Co upgraded stones, but I did not know they upgraded mountings! I will have to look into that! How does it work? Can you do it for all eternity, or within a time limit? And is it where you have to sepnd double what it was worth? That is not a bad idea! Thanks!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
That is too funny! My hubby and I moved to Woodstock when we got married and loved it. We moved to Florida about a year ago though with his job. The stones you only have to spend $1 more, but the settings you have to spend double on to upgrade it. It is for a lifetime. So anyway, that is what we decided to do to get the biggest stone from the outset and then decide on settings down the road. Hope this helps!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my setting. It cost $599 for the setting and $300 to have a platinum head put on. If you use white gold instead of platinum, you could go more custom with the head you pick.
(my center is 2.03c and setting stones are VS1, G/H .3, .5 & 2 - .7's on each side.

2.03 setting for PS.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Knox jewelers.biz has some very lovely WG settings for under 1k. I especially like some of their simple solitaire settings.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that one is really popular

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
You cannot go wrong with either Legato style, they are both very elegant.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 1:39:19 PM
Author: FacetFire
I love the Tiffany replica from Superbcert in WG for $575 http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Classic-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-640.html

I also love the Sisley by Vatche in WG http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Vatche-Diamond-Rings--Sisley-Engagement-Ring-by-Vatche-1543.html (the only pic I could find was on Excel''s site, but I know GOG carries Vatche too)

This WG setting called ''Inspiration'' made by Knox has always caught my eye and is $790 http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=797&action=show_detail

And ''legacy'' by Knox for $890 http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=920&action=show_detail
facetfire-

thanks for the links. do you have a link to the ring in your avatar?

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I was able to dig up a picture WF sent to me of the Legato solitare. Unfortunately, they sent me one with a princess stone, but you get the idea. Plus, you can do a search on the forum to see other pictures.

WFLegato.princess.jpg

nebe

Brilliant_Rock

smileybump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results