shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Poppies

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Since most of these are about as far away as you can get from the bling I thought this was a good place to ask. I'd love to see what poppies look like from across the world, for those who wear them in November.

I'm the odd duck here in the US but as a student of WWI I can't resist.

20211030_124711.jpg
My collection to date.
16358287739597839931965417943163.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This completly snuck up on me with a bit of a shock (as did the Melbourne cup today) when i saw Camilia and Kate at that earth summit thingy in Scotland with their poppies on.
Here in NZ our main rememneronce is on Anzac day 25th April when most people where their poppies (Everdently back in 1921 the ship bringimg the first commemorative poppies from France got here too late for Armistice day so the RSA held them over till April 2022 and the tradion was born)

I have a glittery poppy on my wish list and ive seen some lovelly ones on line from the UK

The RSA here, like many other charities around the world have been doing a bit of a starve due to the pandemic and lock downs and cancelled street appeals
So please remenber to donate to the veterns charities in your own countries because we have a whole new generation of veterns who need help

I've only recently learnt that in France they wear a blue cornflower instead of a red poppy
I wonder if they have blingy versions too ?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
This completly snuck up on me with a bit of a shock (as did the Melbourne cup today) when i saw Camilia and Kate at that earth summit thingy in Scotland with their poppies on.
Here in NZ our main rememneronce is on Anzac day 25th April when most people where their poppies (Everdently back in 1921 the ship bringimg the first commemorative poppies from France got here too late for Armistice day so the RSA held them over till April 2022 and the tradion was born)

I have a glittery poppy on my wish list and ive seen some lovelly ones on line from the UK

The RSA here, like many other charities around the world have been doing a bit of a starve due to the pandemic and lock downs and cancelled street appeals
So please remenber to donate to the veterns charities in your own countries because we have a whole new generation of veterns who need help

I've only recently learnt that in France they wear a blue cornflower instead of a red poppy
I wonder if they have blingy versions too ?

Oh that is interesting I'd love to see the French cornflower.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just going to try bumping this for you CSpan

:confused:Sorry i can't even find my little $5 metal one i bought a couple of years ago i used to wear on my work cap

Hopefully it will turn up by April ...

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have metal ones like these and buy paper ones (similar to in your pictures) each year. That’s in the U.K.

I haven’t seen any street sellers yet this year, but maybe because I’m online food shopping and usually buy mine from the seller outside the supermarket. Although my husband isn’t wearing one yet which is unlike him so he mustn’t have seen sellers yet either? I hope it’s not another thing to suffer via Covid

Attachments

• 4335B15D-EC99-496F-8F07-4B2C7E962431.jpeg
    4335B15D-EC99-496F-8F07-4B2C7E962431.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 98

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
We have metal ones like these and buy paper ones (similar to in your pictures) each year. That’s in the U.K.

I haven’t seen any street sellers yet this year, but maybe because I’m online food shopping and usually buy mine from the seller outside the supermarket. Although my husband isn’t wearing one yet which is unlike him so he mustn’t have seen sellers yet either? I hope it’s not another thing to suffer via Covid

Oh dear I hope they come out too! I always beg friends in the UK yo grab me an extra since the paper ones rip so easily.
Where did the poppy on the left come from? So unique!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock

There you go, @Daisys and Diamonds , I especially like the bracelet !

ETA: international shipping available ;-)

OMG thank you for finding this, I had no idea, adding to my obsession collection! Of all the fronts I have visited I haven’t been to a single battlefield in France. I mean because everyone goes to Galicia and Gallipoli first right?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! I'm learning a lot today. I was about to show you my California poppies we planted earlier this year!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG thank you for finding this, I had no idea, adding to my obsession collection! Of all the fronts I have visited I haven’t been to a single battlefield in France. I mean because everyone goes to Galicia and Gallipoli first right?
You're welcome! The money from the French cornflowers support all war veterans and victims of terrorism.

The WwII memorial in Caen is very very moving and DHs family has a beach home close to sword beache in Normandy. We cross Pegasus bridge frequently. We've done the museum numerous times for the children. They have decorated the villages between Cabourg and Pegasus Bridge with permanent flags on each street lantern with portraits, name and birthdate of the soldiers from the dday forces.
I have goosebumps & get teary each time we drive by. It's so important to keep the memories alive!

ETA:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

There you go, @Daisys and Diamonds , I especially like the bracelet !

ETA: international shipping available ;-)

I was hoping you'd find this thread =)2
Is there a way to make the site into English?
I like some of those very much

And the way the slownese is with shipping right now it might just get here in time for Anzac day

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh dear I hope they come out too! I always beg friends in the UK yo grab me an extra since the paper ones rip so easily.
Where did the poppy on the left come from? So unique!

There arnt enough veterns any more to do street appeals on poppy day (Friday before Anzac day here) like they used to, so they have donation boxes on shop counters (the cancer society does this also for daffodil day), im licking myself because last week i cleaned out my wallet and my paper Anzac day poppy was in there, im so sorry i forgot Rememneronce day was coming up

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping you'd find this thread =)2
Is there a way to make the site into English?
I like some of those very much

And the way the slownese is with shipping right now it might just get here in time for Anzac day

If you use Google lens, it'll translate automatically.

Otherwise you can copy and paste text into the free online translater deepl.

www.deepl.com

Thus works so well, I'm amazed every time!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Why the Poppy (from BBC)
The poppy has a long association with Remembrance Day. But how did the distinctive red flower become such a potent symbol of our remembrance of the sacrifices made in past wars?
Scarlet corn poppies (Papaver rhoeas) grow naturally in conditions of disturbed earth throughout Western Europe. The destruction brought by the Napoleonic wars of the early 19th Century transformed bare land into fields of blood red poppies, growing around the bodies of the fallen soldiers.
In late 1914, the fields of Northern France and Flanders were once again ripped open as World War One raged through Europe's heart. Once the conflict was over the poppy was one of the only plants to grow on the otherwise barren battlefields.

The significance of the poppy as a lasting memorial symbol to the fallen was realised by the Canadian surgeon John McCrae in his poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy came to represent the immeasurable sacrifice made by his comrades and quickly became a lasting memorial to those who died in World War One and later conflicts. It was adopted by The Royal British Legion as the symbol for their Poppy Appeal, in aid of those serving in the British Armed Forces, after its formation in 1921.

Last edited:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

In Flanders Fields​

BY JOHN MCCRAE

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Why the Poppy (from BBC)
The poppy has a long association with Remembrance Day. But how did the distinctive red flower become such a potent symbol of our remembrance of the sacrifices made in past wars?
Scarlet corn poppies (Papaver rhoeas) grow naturally in conditions of disturbed earth throughout Western Europe. The destruction brought by the Napoleonic wars of the early 19th Century transformed bare land into fields of blood red poppies, growing around the bodies of the fallen soldiers.
In late 1914, the fields of Northern France and Flanders were once again ripped open as World War One raged through Europe's heart. Once the conflict was over the poppy was one of the only plants to grow on the otherwise barren battlefields.

The significance of the poppy as a lasting memorial symbol to the fallen was realised by the Canadian surgeon John McCrae in his poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy came to represent the immeasurable sacrifice made by his comrades and quickly became a lasting memorial to those who died in World War One and later conflicts. It was adopted by The Royal British Legion as the symbol for their Poppy Appeal, in aid of those serving in the British Armed Forces, after its formation in 1921.

They also grow in Gallipoli! Totally different environments.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Most people where I live wear their poppies on their coats. Mine is one I bought from the Royal Canadian Legion. It is made of a thin flexible plastic with a flocked coating.
I keep it from year to year, as I also don't like unnecessary waste @Snowdrop13 However, I do make a donation to the legion every November.

poppy1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been posting about World War I and the war poets on another site. Today I shared this link to an article in "The New York Times" published in 2019. 2019 was the 100th anniversary of The Versailles Treaty which codified the peace arranged at the Paris Peace Talks held at the end of World War I.

It explains how Armistice Day started and how it came to become Veterans Day in the United States. (It is, as may have been noted, Remembrance Day in Canada, Great Britain as well as in other countries.) While the United States honors all military veterans, dead or alive on Veterans Day we honor our war dead on Memorial Day, May 31. Australia and New Zealand have a special Day, Anzac Day for celebrating their War War I (and other war) dead. It is celebrated on April 25, the anniversary of the landing of their troops on Gallipoli

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people where I live wear their poppies on their coats. Mine is one I bought from the Royal Canadian Legion. It is made of a thin flexible plastic with a flocked coating.
I keep it from year to year, as I also don't like unnecessary waste @Snowdrop13 However, I do make a donation to the legion every November.

:appl:
Top of my list for continued $$ support are the Veterans.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results