shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your favorite future heirloom piece!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if there is already a thread on this, so if there is, maybe someone can post a link.
If there isn't, I would like to see your favorite piece of jewelry, and given how finicky we PSer's are, this is no small task. So, show me the one piece that you would truly never want to part with, besides your engagement ring, of course. Details, stories, and stat's welcome! This should be fun! I want to start with mine, but honestly, I don't have access to it yet....but it will be coming soon.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Really? No one wants to play this game? Is it too hard to choose just one :confused:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to say! I don't feel like a quite own anything worthy of considering it "heirloom". All of my jewelry will technically become heirloom since I plan on leaving it all to my (hopefully) future children. Maybe by 40 I'll own jewelry I'll consider worthy of that title, lol.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Any piece I buy has to pass the "Is this heirloom worthy?" test. That makes me really picky :oops: Right now my fave is my ER (the ring on the right). Hopefully, after I figure out my FC band, there will be a tie for first place!

2014-02-26_3.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two - well three if you count the 1923 orange blossom band. New pic of all three.

_15458.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile: I just love this thread idea!!

For the sake of extra fun, I'm not posting my diamond solitare ering, or the remarkably similar RHR (I love very plain six-prong sols!!) in favour of posting some unexpected stuff.

Of course, in my little world, each and every piece of mine will become 'heirloom'... or at very least 'estate' :tongue:
as I really have little intention of selling what I have.
I melted down some bits and bobs that I didn't like, a couple of years ago, and what remains is here to stay.

None of it has a vintage look... unless you count my rainbow sapphire line bracelet (LOL), which I bought for a bit of seventies-style whimsy but I've dropped the selfconsciousness and have have been enjoying more and more...all the purdy colours....

In a similar colour-loving vein, I'm totally in love with these little gems...they are clip on and of course I should get them changed to be more comfortably worn...but somehow the clip on aspect seems perfectly right for these...

sapphire_rainbow_channel_set_18k_1_0.jpg

amethyst_earrings_clip_on_cabochon_1.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oops, sorry braga, didn't mean to kill your thread! :???:
surely there are many, many ps'ers that have 'special' items that in their opinion should not be remodelled regardless of how the fashion wheel turns?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of my heirloom pieces are really out of style so I don't wear them. This is an heirloom diamond that was reset years ago and I consider it an "heirloom piece," even though it's not in its original setting.

I had the diamond reset into a thin platinum bezel attached to a platinum chain...

mcdiamondpendant.jpg

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
It's my Leon Mege 2 ct OMB. I wouldn't ever change it and hope that I can pass it on to someone in my family one day.

p6063042.jpg

img_3909.jpg

img_3910.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
The question of remodelling - and handing jewellery on to family - could be a tricky one, couldn't it?
So much of PS is about remodelling, or designing from scratch...it is an interesting choice to come out and say to family: no, if you keep it after I'm gone, it stays as is.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
LaraOnline said:
The question of remodelling - and handing jewellery on to family - could be a tricky one, couldn't it?
So much of PS is about remodelling, or designing from scratch...it is an interesting choice to come out and say to family: no, if you keep it after I'm gone, it stays as is.

What I meant was I wouldn't change it myself, but what happens to it after I'm gone is their choice. No strings attached.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from my AVR engagement ring (in avatar picture), I would have to say my Beaudry rings are my favorites at this point. I recently bought two more similar style settings, so once they have new stones set in them, they will join the others as pieces I consider to be future heirlooms.

_15537.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have my FCD pendant and my forever set rings (for now) and my earrings...is that too many for 'heirloom'?

I guess i will be giving my jewellry to my 2 daughters so i gotta plan realistically about what i buy and who gets what.
Damn- wrong computer, so i dont have the pic to post. i will do that later on tonight. ti is midday here in Perth Western Australia.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
My OEC 5 stone. :) Hopefully I will have some earrings, pendant, and another ring or two in the future that I will also consider heirloom worthy items to pass on to my daughters.

uploadfromtaptalk1394104911666.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Here are my two favorite pieces outside of my ering. The cartier love I never take off and the other ring is an antique with OEC center. While the ring has had a bit of drama I still adore it! The craftmanship of the orginal ring is beautiful!

_15544.jpg

_15545.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Armywife13, Do you have a SMTB thread on your five stone? Its beautiful!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Wow SB! that is an amazing ring! Definitely heirloom-worthy. the intricacy of the design means it would be a crime to remodel!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
pixgirl|1394074220|3628388 said:
LaraOnline said:

What I meant was I wouldn't change it myself, but what happens to it after I'm gone is their choice. No strings attached.

Aha! :) so maybe you are saying the stones are heirloom worthy, but re-model as you like!
That is the most unselfish way to go, is it not?
That is how I feel about my l'il collection too, for the most part.

DS your great taste is once again reflected in this photo of your heirloom worthy rings! I wouldn't change a thing about any of them, and hopefully your lucky descendants will feel the same way!! ;-)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
vinjewels said:
Armywife13, Do you have a SMTB thread on your five stone? Its beautiful!
Thanks, vinjewels! I actually do not have a thread on it-I am a bad PSer! ;-) I recieved it a month or so ago but our move to Korea a few weeks ago has kept me pretty busy. Hopefully one of these days I can get around to taking some nice pictures and doing a thread.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1394079345|3628436 said:
I have my FCD pendant and my forever set rings (for now) and my earrings...is that too many for 'heirloom'?

I guess i will be giving my jewellry to my 2 daughters so i gotta plan realistically about what i buy and who gets what.
Damn- wrong computer, so i dont have the pic to post. i will do that later on tonight. ti is midday here in Perth Western Australia.

completed_0.jpg

photo_4__1_2.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1394078667|3628430 said:
Aside from my AVR engagement ring (in avatar picture), I would have to say my Beaudry rings are my favorites at this point. I recently bought two more similar style settings, so once they have new stones set in them, they will join the others as pieces I consider to be future heirlooms.

I can't wait to see them!
Everyone has such lovely pieces <3 Diamondseeker if you ever need a 3rd adopted daughter I'm up for an adult adoption (I did do an adult adoption already with my adopted dad lol) since you know-you have more rings than kids!

I do have an heirloom piece-it's just my e-ring (if I don't end up changing it). I won't be inheriting anything either since my family is working poor but rich in love. Which is all that matters anyways :)

_15571.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394078667|3628430 said:

hi DS,

I missed this earlier... love the beaudry rings esp the asscher.. :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's easy for me. I hope that my oval will be cherished for generations to come by the women in my family....some lovely bling here ladies! Definitely heirloom worthy!

antique_oval_close_up.jpg

oval_ring_0.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super sentimental, so I hope all my stuff gets passed down for generations. My current most prized possession is the Edwardian piece with a 2.1+ ct OEC set in it that I purchased off the 2nd owner. Its history goes back to an affluent family in CT. Though it isn't my own family heirloom, I intend for it to turn into one.

sidebysidehasoidhasod.jpg

My own family pieces aren't much since my family were poor immigrants from another country who saved everything to come to the states for a better future. However, I will hope that my children, and theirs, will never chop up my grandmother's pieces that she gifted to me:

A pair of diamond earrings. The center diamonds were originally studs that my grandfather saved up for and surprised my grandmother with. They were her first diamonds. I don't know any stats on them. They have yellow gold threaded posts that hurt my ears, but I want to keep it as they are, the way she wore them.

photo_1_10.jpg

A jade cabochon in an 18k wg setting. I hate the design on the sides, as they remind me of cockroaches for some reason.. or some weird Egyptian amulet design. And I feel like it just doesn't flow well. But, I'm sentimental. It was my grandmother's. And I love it.

_15584.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I love these old pieces!
I absolutely adore brooches.... so many wonderful brooches must have been melted down over the past twenty years...so sad!
Bring back the brooch, I say!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Lara, Greg, and VL! I was very fortunate to be able to get those rings!

And VL, seriously, if you didn't have a mom, I would be proud to adopt you and have you as a daughter!

I love everyone's special pieces (I'd have to name them all)! But I will say,Yenny, your ring kills me every time I see it! (I have had the pleasure of actually trying that ring on, too! :bigsmile: )

Zozye

Rough_Rock
This is a ring I got from a pawn shop, spending all the money I save from a summer job in college.... I was planing to buy a motorcycle but my mom wasn't happy about that (even though she had one at my age, but now shes a nurse in a ER). When I saw this ring it took my breath away.
I called up my mom (I was 22 living at home) and said "mom would you rather me spend my savings on a ring?" She said "Hell YES!"

My DH makes fun of me that I could have had a motorcycle but bought a ring instead!

The smart thing would have been to save the money or use it to PAY FOR COLLEGE instead of taking out loans that semester but I love this ring. I dont wear it often because it is a rather flashy cocktail ring but I am wearing for my wedding (I've already eloped) and wear it out on some date nights.

I'm sure when I'm old this ring will be an amazing family story of how Grandma was going to by a motorcycle as a broke college student but bought this ring instead.

sam_2552.jpg
sam_2557.jpg
sam_2519.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be the "something blue" for my daughter when she gets married someday.

dsc_0348.jpg

And for my daughter and granddaughters:

gold_leaf_1.jpg

crosses_set.jpg

She's already wearing it. :)
crosses_1.jpg

All except for the half eternity pave band. Gonna change that to a full.
dsc_0069.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Wow that YG is amazing! :love:

Edited to add: doesn't anyone have a lovely heirloom brooch to post? :cheeky:

MsBris

Rough_Rock
Interesting question.

Having lost my mom and grandmothers, I can say that some of my favorite pieces are basic store-bought stuff. IMO, an heirloom is loved not for its specs; it's value is in the memory and the honor of staying connected beyond time. I have a white gold ring, bypass style, ~1ct topaz with ~2pt accent diamonds. Dad probably spent the equivalent of a few days' wages on it. But it was the first ring he gave her. Priceless.

What will my heirs cherish? Only time will tell.

eta: my avatar pic shows Mom's wedding band, above the knuckle, ring finger. Wide band, YG, five 10pt diamonds, prong set. Has a matching 'his' ring. Now are our WRs. These aren't their original WRs, since hers became too worn for wear or repair. And her original everyday band is still on her; Dad's choice. Everyday I have this one on a ribbon around the neck. I'm partial to my anniversary bands instead since the memory of her passing it to me is bittersweet. The ring is priceless to me. But she bought them at the mall. With me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results