shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your China Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

I just got an engagement party invitation from my cousin who I haven''t seen or spoken to in about 5 or 6 years. She registered at Fortunoff''s, and I was very surprised when I found out that she registered for the same china pattern that I picked out.
Of course, she has no I idea that I picked out the same pattern, being that I never registered when I got married years ago and I just purchased my stuff last year at about this time.
This got me thinking though, if me and my cousin could pick out the same pattern from the hundreds out there, I wonder what other people picked out.
So, show me your china pattern please!!!!
Here is mine, and my cousin''s, Noritake Silver Palace.
2.gif

I still need to get a few more pieces, but at least my china cabinet doesn''t look so bare anymore!
2.gif

118_1882 (2).JPG

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a close up of the pattern!

118_1884 (2).JPG

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Here is my china which was my grandmother's china. It means so much to me. It is about 75 years old. The entire set consisting of place settings for 12 and all service pieces were given to me by my grandmother at my wedding shower. I've been married for 18 years, and Nana passed away a month after our wedding in 1986. We still use this china for holiday dinners and have never broken one piece. It means so much to me, I hope to pass it down to my daughter someday.

DiamondLil

Nanachina1.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of the back of one of the plates. Is there a way to date this china based on this information?

DiamondLil

Nanachina2.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty Pattern, Kayla17. My husband and I don't have a pattern. We eloped and I'm not much of a fancy china person. Actually, my mom had a really cool antique set (50-75 years old???) that was white and rimmed in silver that I had expected to get at some point, but she dumped ALL her stuff and left to Europe so there goes the fancy plates! lol I love dishes and stuff, but more usable funky stuff and can spend a fortune on all kinds of kitchen/dining stuff at places like Pier One and Crate and Barrell, but have only found ONE fancy set I liked and it was Wedgewood (lol).

Michelle

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Best guess- Noritake had the M in the wreath with ribbons and Noritake China over it first registered in 1933. The portion that says US patent pending was only used while production was done in the US, which stopped in 1940. So best guess would be sometime between 1933-1940. This pattern is of course discontinued, and the replacements are very hard to find. Some sites have replacement pieces, but label the pattern 'Unknown'- even though it clearly states VanDyke 3502 on the back.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I'm like Diamond Lil, I have my grandmother's china. Yours is lovely, Lil.

Grandma gave it to me when I moved into my first apartment of my own. She filled in the missing pieces, which ended up being most of the dinner plates and all the coffee cups & saucers; actually, not very much of it is her original china. I treasure it not just because I think it's so pretty, but because I treasure her. It's Wedgwood Edme. Very classic. Cream colored with fluted edges. We used to joke that it looked like Wedgwood's version of plain paper plates. Her original dishes were actually Wedgwood Conway, which is the same shape as Edme but with flowers painted on it. I'll see if I can hunt up a picture. Grandma used to throw it in the dishwasher, which was pretty hard on the older dishes, so many of them are so crazed they're unusable for anything damp--salad dressing stains the salad plates, for example. The newer dishes are supposedly dishwasher safe, and I do wash them in the dishwasher.

I also inherited her sterling when she died; we filled it out on our regsitry. And (as I keep boring people on this board by going on about) her engagement ring.

I got my other grandmother's second best china, too, but I don't use it very much because it has gold edges and roses in the center, so I have to wash it by hand, and even then it slowly loses its gold.

edme.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ours is very classic and simple...the Platinum Line collection from Crate and Barrel. Fortunoff had a few I liked but it would have been the only thing I registered for there, so I figured since C&B had essentially the same thing and 80% of my registry was there, it made sense to get it through them. I saw a similar set to this at PB a few years back and they had set the table with all red for the Xmas holiday and just this simple white china with large bowl wine glasses and I loved it. Since then I had thought if I ever got china, it would be very simple with the platinum line so that it would be versatile with different themes.

I already have another dinnerware pattern for slightly more informal parties, the Bamboo Orchid pattern from C&B which I got about 3 years ago. I have 8 place settings. For daily use we use these great Pottery Barn sage green pottery style ones, along with the same style but a wedgewood blue for salad plate stuff. It was on clearance a few years back at 1/2 off so I got about 8 place settings of that too. But daily use is so hodgepodge..we also have random colored striped bowls as hand me downs from a friend who threw out all her old stuff when she got her new china! I don't throw out anything, I keep it all!
2.gif
I LOVE kitchen items.

Platinum Line Bone China (I only need 6 more sets to make my 12!)

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/itemgroups/9608_0.asp?query=platinum%20line&DIMID=&Page=1&fromLocation=Searchhttp://www.crateandbarrel.com/gr_guest/itemgroups/9608_0.asp?rn=5460379&fromGrList=1

They don't have the Bamboo Orchid china online anymore but they still have it in stores...this is a somewhat similar pattern (shape etc) but mine has a single white orchid stem going across with something like a bamboo stalk on the other side at an angle. The background is a sandy cream.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/itemgroups/4129_0.asp

Every time someone sends us another place setting of china, Greg says..don't we have enough?!
2.gif

platinum line.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Jenwill, for the info. I hope it holds up long enough to pass on to the next generation.
1.gif

You are not boring us, Glittterata, although I'm sure I would have thought so about 20 years ago -- heehee! Having items with such sentimental value gives me the chills in a way. Maybe it is my age? I must admit, I even wash my china in the diswasher. My washer does have a china setting though. I think my Nana is watching down on me and is so happy that *her china* is still being used, she will make sure nothing gets broken.

I have her entire set of silver as well. I remember her telling me an interesting story about it. It is also (like her china) setting for 12, but there are 4 sets that are larger and heavier than the other 8 even though they are all the same exact pattern. I remember her telling me something like that during WWII, she purchase 8 sets, but since metal was being rationed, the size of each of the utensils was scaled down. The other 4 sets are slightly larger than the rest. I can't remember whether she got the 4 larger sets before the war or after.

DiamondLil

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
This is our pattern. Noritake Rothschild.
The problem is our china sits in a kitchen cabinet.
We haven't chosen a suitable cabinet for it to display.
Oh well-maybe some day before the kids graduate!

7293.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here's a close up.
I actually like my Christmas pattern better.
9.gif

7293kitty.jpg

hannah

Rough_Rock
I'm so not traditional on this level
tongue.gif
:

New Wave by Villeroy & Boch
newwave-preview.jpg

I very much like the idea of having white china. It's easier to mix and match designs, to take components from other makers and create one unique collection. For example, I plan to add some pieces of these to my collection:

Palm by Villeroy & Boch
102526_03-preview.jpg

and a couple of these:

Solar by Wedgewood
main_option3.jpg

The structual elements are what draw me to all these styles.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hannah, I like your style! That's one thing about pure white china--you can mix it up without worrying about the colors & patterns, just the shapes.

Somebody should start a similar thread for silver. I volunteer Diamondlil, mostly because I want to see her nana's silver.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is an example of what I'd register for. I LOVE colorful plates that brighten up a table and with a huge bouquet of summer dahlia's along side these plates, I'd be in heaven
9.gif
Bone china, or whatever it's called, isn't me and would never be used. I like stuff that is fun and can liven up/distract from my horrible cooking. hehehe

I'm not sure I'd pick this EXACT style, but this is close enough. I'm so tired right now that spending endless hours searching for my functional tableware would take too long.
2.gif

My husband and I just put an offer down on a new house and the inspection is tomorrow (so wish us luck
9.gif
) and this means plates are pretty low on our list. I HATE the plates we have now and this thread has got me thinking that this may be something to update in the near future.

I may hunt out a new set of stoneware after we get our current house sold AND move into the new house. Tons of work ahead of us.
errrr.gif

Michelle

potterybarnplates.jpg

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Here's what I picked out a while ago...

palatial platinum.JPG

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/28/2004 1:05:27 AM glitterata wrote:

Somebody should start a similar thread for silver. I volunteer Diamondlil, mostly because I want to see her nana's silver.
----------------

What a nice idea. I think I'll do that, Glitterata. I'll pull the box out today and take some pics. It is raining here on the east coast (has been for 4 days), so I hope I can get some clear shots.

I also love the white-china idea. Very elegant and east to coordinate with other pieces purchased here and there.

One of my girlfriends had an interesting set. She had one place setting of eight different china patterns. She could not decide on just one -- heehee. It absoluely looked beautiful in her china cabinet! If I had not inherited my Nana's, that's what I would have done. Imagine a tranditional cherry dining set and a room decorated in white and taupe (all white table linenes, of course). Set a table for 8 with each setting a different pattern. What do you think? I used to be a decorator (before kids), so I have some different ideas -- probably not for everyone.

DiamondLil

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh good thread! We are going to register maybe in January or Feb. I hadn't even thought about the dishes I might like. I just know when I look around I choke at the prices.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
Lisa,

My BEST FRIEND has that pattern! It is a verry pretty pattern!

Bethany
1.gif

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
That is too funny, Bethany! I actually have 12 place settings and some other pieces (my mom has been buying me this stuff for years)...so I'm not sure if we'll ask for anything/other type as well. My sweetie likes it - so we may forgo registering for any new China. Mine has barely been used. I hope this nice enough to keep for a long time - I've wondered if we should we register for waterford or something. Any experience with the duration of Mikasa China anyone??

Anyway, I do love this pattern - it goes with everything
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread. I love Kayla's pattern, but really its not applicable to my needs. When would I ever use fancy plates? My pattern, which the FW and I will probably buy ourselves will be more like Mara's or Michelle Carmen's.

Then... maybe when I finally become a grown-up... I'll buy something like Kayla's!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have an old set of china from my mother...so it's probably about 50 years old...it's a beautiful bluish flowered delicate pattern, totally not something I would use but I like keeping it. I don't even think it was expensive, but as the others noted, that sentimental value. My kids may like it!

Michelle...those plates in sage green and a wedgewood gray blue are what we use for daily use..from PB. They look very similar with that kind of pottery oven look and feel but glossy. I love them, they were one my smartest purchases since they were on clearance!!
2.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, everyone's patterns looks great!

Diamondlil,
l love that you still have your grandmother's pieces. I wonder if there is a way to figure out the exact year it was made. That is so interesting.

Mara,
It was a toss up for us. I liked Federal Platinum by Lenox, which is white china with two simple platinum lines and the one we chose. In the end, my husband picked silver palace.
I remember the bamboo orchid line from Crate and Barrel. I have a thing for bamboo and orchids. Orchids are the only flowers in my house!
For some reason, I am really attracted to asian type designs and lines.

Hannah,
I love the new wave designs. They are so cool. I found this awesome set at Pottery Barn that looks very similar, but in a more asian way. I am so tempted to order the stuff, but my husband will get really pissed if I do!!! He says I have been spending too much money this year!
2.gif

Edited to add the link to the PB asianware stuff- for some reason I can't copy the pictures!-

http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cat/index.cfm?cid=tentbldnw&cPage=3&src=shpctentbldnw%7Crshop%2Fshpcten%7Crshop%2Fhme

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
Any experience with the duration of Mikasa China anyone??

1.gif
----------------

Yes, Mikasa holds up very nicely! I bought part of the Mystic Rose collection (discontinued???) and use it regularily and the pieces still look in brand new condition. We don't have the entire set as I don't need tea cups or anything but just have functional pieces and run them through the dishwasher and they look great. Mine are rimmed with something, not sure what, and this was worn down a bit over the 6+ years that I've had these dishes, but if I had hand washed them they'd look perfect.
1.gif

Mara - so cool that you have these dishes. It's nice to have a colorful place setting, especially during the summer.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but I use to make pottery, before my first son was born, and know how to use the potters' wheel and have made a ton of fun giant salad & serving bowls (but gave many of them away
cry.gif
). This probably is why I'm more into the stoneware look than the fine china look as I've obsessed over throwing the perfect stoneware plate for years.

Adding here: Kayla - I love the set you posted from pottery barn. Totally cool. This is a set I'd pick out for daily use even if pizza was being served. lol It has character, and I love this!

Michelle

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I am not married, but already have my china...is that bad
rolleyes.gif
?? I couldn't resist, the Mikasa store where I live was going out of business and I got a great deal on 8 5-pc place settings and the 5pc serving set, all for $190. It is the Mikasa Platinum Crown. Of course, it's still in the boxes, so I have no idea yet how they hold up, but I love the pattern!!! Here is a pic of it..not sure if it will come out

china.jpeg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim,

Hehehe! I did the same thing. I was engaged at the time, but no wedding plans and found the Mikasa stuff I liked and bought it just for fun. lol

Michelle

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Michelle
1.gif
I feel better now that someone else did the same thing, I wasn't even planning to get china, just everyday china, but I saw this and was like, oh well, might as well jump on the deal! And I will never get sick of "platinum," so I know I will still like it when I finally get married..hehe
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Fine china really is a fortune when you are talking about several place settings, and I'm not sure today's brides even want it. If I were getting married today, I don't think I would register a pattern. We only use ours at holidays and because it has sentimental value having been passed down to me. Of course, we ban all the children to the kitchen and make them use the *regular* plates.
rolleyes.gif

DiamondLil

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Here are the basic kitchen dishes we always use and the kids are forced to use when the adults are dining in the dining room -- heehee. Not fancy, not expensive, but my mother bought them for us because they match our morning room -- what a Mom.
2.gif

DiamondLil

kitchendishes1.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Kayla, does your Noritake Silver Palace have different plates? It looks like the one is rimmed in a blue pattern while the rest are white on white.

I used to sell china, silver and crystal. When I got married I went with a Noritake china pattern that has since been discontinued (Viceroy). It's very similar to Lenox Eternal...ivory colored with a gold band around the rim, very plain. I should have gone with the Lenox, but even back then, I like saving money and didn't like spending a lot on a name brand.

I went with Fostoria crystal (also since discontinued) but I wish I would have gone with Waterford. Mine is a plain goblet with the gold rim. I really love cut crystal. It's kind of like diamonds.
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hope this picture posts. Here is the room the *regular* dishes match. My mother decided they were perfect. Oh well . . .
rolleyes.gif

DiamondLil

morningroom3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results