shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts - Part 2

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I missed that thread. My word; what an ORDEAL!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 7:29:50 PM
Author: Hest88
Ellen, I missed that thread. My word; what an ORDEAL!
I know. And it was all so TOTALLY unecessary.
20.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry I missed your thread on it, but I''m very pleased that Quest was able to fix it and now it looks like it''s in primo condition! I''ll bet you are really enjoying it! Congrats!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness, no need to apologize for missing it lump! and thanks. I really am enjoying it.
5.gif

BTW, whatcha drinkin there miss??
9.gif

glitterkitty

Shiny_Rock
This is my 5 stone OEC late Victorian ring (around 1890 or so) set in 18ct yellow gold. Total diamond weight is 1.45
emteeth.gif
and I love it!

5stoneoec.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, Ellen, it''s just juice. I used to enjoy a great variety of red wines, but these days I stick to exotic juices like strawberry kiwi, LOL! I was cheering something, though. I don''t remember what....

Glitterkitty, I love that band! Do post some hand shots! Please!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Glitterkitty.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 3:28:30 PM
Author: Skippy123
Beautiful Glitterkitty.
I agree, thanks for posting!!

glitterkitty

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the delay ladies, we were flooded 4 weeks ago during torrential rain here in the UK and its a bit chaotic at home trying to get the house dry and arrange for new floorboards (and possibly joists - fingers crossed not) to be replaced
20.gif

however, here is a picture taken last year when we actually HAD a summer, and the bright round hot thing in the sky put in an appearance!

oecfinger.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the side view where I can see the small tables and pillow tops.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
glitter, thanks for posting your beauty!

So sorry to hear of your pantsy (per Lorelei) weather. Keeping my fingers crossed replacements are kept to a minimum.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW lovely rings and pendant!

That 5 stone really is unique -- haven''t seen one this side of the pond. Hope you dry out soon!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking...For all you old/antique cut owners out there, do any of you wish you knew the provenance of your stone(s)? That is, assuming it is not a family stone? I find myself wondering who used to own my stone. What journey it took before it found me. I know, I need to get a more useful hobby! But seriously, doesn''t anyone else wonder about these things? Think how cool it would be to be able to see a photo of your ring on its previous owner(s). Or what the world was like when your stone was newly cut and awaiting its first owner...OTOH, I wouldn''t want to know if my stone came from someone in an unhappy marriage or anything like that, which is why I dont ask the dealer for more info (though I dont think they know anyway).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 8:54:48 PM
Author: surfgirl
I was just thinking...For all you old/antique cut owners out there, do any of you wish you knew the provenance of your stone(s)? That is, assuming it is not a family stone? I find myself wondering who used to own my stone. What journey it took before it found me. I know, I need to get a more useful hobby! But seriously, doesn''t anyone else wonder about these things? Think how cool it would be to be able to see a photo of your ring on its previous owner(s). Or what the world was like when your stone was newly cut and awaiting its first owner...OTOH, I wouldn''t want to know if my stone came from someone in an unhappy marriage or anything like that, which is why I dont ask the dealer for more info (though I dont think they know anyway).
Thanks for posting that beauty gal.

I have definitely wondered about my stones past life...It was already 60-65 years old when my mother received it. I have no idea if it was handed down in the family, or purchased somewhere. And what setting was it in before the one it''s in now, as it spent approximately the first 40 years in something else.

I would love to know more about it, but everyone who would know is gone, so it shall remain a mystery.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
surfgirl your ring is beautiful do you have more pictures (ie: like a profile shot)? Thanks everyone for sharing their beauties!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not surfgirl, but here''s the link to her ring.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2007 8:10:47 PM
Author: surfgirl
My ering: 2.5 ct center stone Transitional Cut.
WOW that''s just A TOTALLY FAB stone!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
this is my OMC 3 stone ring,
F/VS 1.2ctw

IMGP4642.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flower, your ring is gorgeous! Do you have, or can you get, a close up of it?

And just how much jewelry do you have??
11.gif
9.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen,it''s mine
3.gif
most fav ring
I will take face up pic later.

P1230365.JPG

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
flower, I almost had that same setting made for my ering. Love it!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
The faux-antiques are feeling very left out of this thread--
7.gif

37.gif
20.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so loving all the new rings!!!

Surf, yes I''ve always wondered at the history of my OMC. I mean, part of the charm of older cuts is the aura of history around them, isn''t it? Mine actually came off a men''s ring under consignment at Dave Atlas'' shop (before they stopped dealing in older stones), but that''s all I know.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl, what is a "transitional cut"? Besides gorgeous!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2007 8:27:20 PM
Author: boston_jeff
The faux-antiques are feeling very left out of this thread--
7.gif

37.gif
20.gif
lol I''m sorry Jeff. But I didn''t make the rules.....just following the first thread.

Maybe you could start a thread like, Show me your antique inspired cuts/ring?
4.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
rainbowtrout, the evolution of old cuts, as I know it (and I may be leaving out some levels) is:

1. Old Mine Cuts (OMCs)
The most basic of old cuts. Called that because many were cut at the mine sites? They typically have a steeper, higher crown and look more like an ice cream cone. And they often have sort of a Maltese Cross look about the center area because they have, IIRC, fewer facets and an open culet.

2. Old European Cuts (OECs)
The next step up in cutting evolution. These cuts have more faceting, and some have less steep crowns, almost all have open culets.

3. Transitional Cuts (early 1900's - 1940/50ish?)
These are the in-between cuts that bridged the gap between the OECs and what we know today as the modern round brilliant. They are more symmetrical than OECs, have more faceting, IIRC, open culets but often smaller open culets than the above cuts, and have, IMO, a more glittery effect because they have more faceting and a more precise symmetry. I still am not clear as to whether or not the Tolkowsky cuts are similar/same as a Transitional cut or not. It's not clear to me at all...

Anyway, dont take my word on the above, but that's how I remember it off the top of my head, and after only one cup of morning coffee!

Example, if you look at my stone (on it's own thread there are plenty of different angle photos) and then at flower's or glitterkitty's stones, you can see the difference in faceting and shape. Their stones are OMCs (quite old) and the crowns are quite steep with a smaller table and less faceting, and mine is Transitional, shorter crown and larger table with more faceting, more in line with today's RBs...

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Hey all...here''s some additional cut info from PS''s very own Richard Sherwood -- I linked to the old thread below. We still need Rose Cut info, too! [Saw a 2+c baby yesterday -- interesting cut!]

I went looking because I enabled my sis to trade in her modern 3-stone for a vintage band. Can you believe I can''t remember whether she got an OEC or Euro Cut? We were looking at several! Anyway, it''s gorgeous (.88 center)and I am harassing her for better pics.

Old Mine Cut stones (cushion shaped) are typically
circa 1840-1890.

Old European Cut stones (round, with small table, high
crowns, and large to very large culets) are typically
circa 1900-1920.

European Cuts (larger tables, lower crowns, medium to
large culets) are typically circa 1920-1940.

Transitional Cuts (transitioning between the european
cuts and the modern round brilliant cuts) are
typically circa 1940-1950.

If your stone is a European Cut, (versus an Old
European Cut), it will have a larger table and smaller
crown than an OEC, but probably still "smaller and
higher" than a modern round brilliant.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/european-cut-diamond.3875/

In other vintage news: My avatar ring''s wee table chip became a table/crown chunk, so after 6 months of noticing my diminished sparkle (and the nice carbon the chunk highlighted), I''m having another Euro Cut set in. Saw the stone loose and it''ll be an upgrade for sure...much less body color. Will post when it comes back to me.

Decided I should break down and get a band for when I go hiking and camping "just in case" -- so here''s my little $150 single cut 30s plaything. It''s very sparkly in sun and low light.

vintage_band_lowlight_web.jpg

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Attempting to get a close up....

vintage_band_cu_web.jpg

Vix

Shiny_Rock
And a back/slight profile. [sorry, can''t figure out how to get them all in one!]

I can''t help but think the craft on most vintage settings rivals any but the most expensive modern/reproduction stuff.

vintage_band_back_web.jpg

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am a lurker coming out of hiding for my first post. Y''all have been so helpful and you don''t even know it!

Here is a family ring that I don''t know much about. After reading PS for a month or so now, I think that it is probably OEC, around .5ct (size 6). The setting is an interesting mix of white and yellow gold, though it doesn''t show well in the picture. The head is mostly white with the middle fishtail claw being yellow. The shank is yellow, but the bar and bows are white. What do you think??

bt_top_01.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results