shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Antique chain and help me with my questions! Belcher, Curb Link, or Albert Watch Chain?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello @Mreader , @stracci2000 @YadaYadaYada and anyone else!

Lately, I’ve been on this antique Victorian chain hunt and have been checking out Rubylane, Etsy, and EBay. I don’t know enough about the diffferences in the quality of gold, style, gram weight or how to identify a true antique chain. Can you both or anyone provide some insight? @Mreader I loved seeing the padlock pendant and seeing your picture of your antique belcher chain- how did you choose to purchase one?

I want to purchase a solid 14k gold antique belcher, probably my budget $600 won‘t get me there. Then again would I be happy with a rolled gold one? I know I want a yellow gold chain, but what kind? Meaning I really love the belcher look, but how about other styles like the T bar, or Albert watch chain? And is it better to have a heavier chain /gram weight?

So can you or anyone shed a light and help a girl out about how to choose and what to look out for when selecting a chain? I‘ve seen prices all over the board, but I my requirements is that it has to be yellow gold and at least 17-18” length. I‘m not sure if I like the slider look or muff chains as I don’t want to wrap a chain around my neck 2-3 times.

Thanks for reading this long post,
-C4C
PS. This is coming my way to help out why I’m looking at buying an antique chain to wear this on it...I also think a dog clip is really cute too, but will it go with this pendant/brooch?

Attachments

• E09733C3-A9F9-4499-907C-08B278F7B63E.png
    E09733C3-A9F9-4499-907C-08B278F7B63E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hello @Mreader , @stracci2000 @YadaYadaYada and anyone else!

Lately, I’ve been on this antique Victorian chain hunt and have been checking out Rubylane, Etsy, and EBay. I don’t know enough about the diffferences in the quality of gold, style, gram weight or how to identify a true antique chain. Can you both or anyone provide some insight? @Mreader I loved seeing the padlock pendant and seeing your picture of your antique belcher chain- how did you choose to purchase one?

I want to purchase a solid 14k gold antique belcher, probably my budget $600 won‘t get me there. Then again would I be happy with a rolled gold one? I know I want a yellow gold chain, but what kind? Meaning I really love the belcher look, but how about other styles like the T bar, or Albert watch chain? And is it better to have a heavier chain /gram weight?

So can you or anyone shed a light and help a girl out about how to choose and what to look out for when selecting a chain? I‘ve seen prices all over the board, but I my requirements is that it has to be yellow gold and at least 17-18” length. I‘m not sure if I like the slider look or muff chains as I don’t want to wrap a chain around my neck 2-3 times.

Thanks for reading this long post,
-C4C
PS. This is coming my way to help out why I’m looking at buying an antique chain to wear this on it...I also think a dog clip is really cut too, but will it go with this pendant/brooch?

About to go to bed so will write a bit more later, but I didn't even intend to go antique when I saw that chain. I was actually just looking on Ebay for a rose gold chain for a pendant and stumbled across it, and fell in love with it. I got it from ebay seller krose47 so you can see their inventory; and they think that it used to be a watch chain turned into a necklace. Mine was pricey, about 800, but I really loved it and also it's heavy at 18 grams. Gold is so frustratingly expensive these days!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im googerling to find out what an Albert watch chain is

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Not a belcher, but here’s my great-grandmother’s 14k watch chain, about 24-26” long if memory serves. I think they’re known as papercilp? I wear it almost every day, sometimes with a pocketwatch I found recently, sometimes with a ring attached.

Dog clips are super convenient and I think they are stylish.
C0416456-B7E3-4DC3-9F1E-B6F55676F705.jpeg

DC27431A-FFDB-438D-939E-75EC478F6D48.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are a couple of things working against you with your budget, watch chains are very trendy right now and gold is very high. I did find an Albert chain that would work for you but it is 9k and not antique it is also almost $200 over budget. If you want the look and don’t care so much about it being a true antique then this would be a good choice:

For between $300- $600 you can get a true antique yellow gold watch chain at about a 13.5” length, you could hack it like I did with a recent purchase but mine was silver and depending on your comfort level it might not be something you are willing to undertake.

Gold filled is a great choice IMO because there will be a lot more options for you and there are some really nice ones. Before I had an appreciation for these years ago I sold a watch chain with these really neat heads (dog, alligator could never figure it out) definitely one of a kind and well made.

I’ll poke around and see what I can come up with for a chain more in your budget. Also love that charm/pendant you bought with the pearls, really pretty!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Not a belcher, but here’s my great-grandmother’s 14k watch chain, about 24-26” long if memory serves. I think they’re known as papercilp? I wear it almost every day, sometimes with a pocketwatch I found recently, sometimes with a ring attached.

Wow that’s amazing!!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think there are a couple of things working against you with your budget, watch chains are very trendy right now and gold is very high. I did find an Albert chain that would work for you but it is 9k and not antique it is also almost $200 over budget. If you want the look and don’t care so much about it being a true antique then this would be a good choice:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/890754...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&cns=1

For between $300- $600 you can get a true antique yellow gold watch chain at about a 13.5” length, you could hack it like I did with a recent purchase but mine was silver and depending on your comfort level it might not be something you are willing to undertake.

Gold filled is a great choice IMO because there will be a lot more options for you and there are some really nice ones. Before I had an appreciation for these years ago I sold a watch chain with these really neat heads (dog, alligator could never figure it out) definitely one of a kind and well made.

I’ll poke around and see what I can come up with for a chain more in your budget. Also love that charm/pendant you bought with the pearls, really pretty!

This is making me feel better about my 800 splurge (it was in August). I also love that @YadaYadaYada does shopping for us :) :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just had an idea, if you find a watch chain but it’s too short you could hack some pearls onto it like I did and it would look really pretty with your pendant/charm since it also has pearls:

66F90D8F-3D8F-44F2-8C94-28D45D22BFB6.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another idea would be to price a dog clip and ring and maybe a jeweler could swap them for the barrel clasp on this one:

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another idea would be to price a dog clip and ring and maybe a jeweler could swap them for the barrel clasp on this one:

Ohh! I never thought about that! Good idea! I even had this chain on my list and the sale on the item just ended! :confused2: But I think I’m gonna hold out and see what else pops up! I do think though you are right with gold being so expensive, sigh may have to either up my budget or consider rolled gold or 9ct gold one. What do you think about gold content and weight on an antique chain?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
About to go to bed so will write a bit more later, but I didn't even intend to go antique when I saw that chain. I was actually just looking on Ebay for a rose gold chain for a pendant and stumbled across it, and fell in love with it. I got it from ebay seller krose47 so you can see their inventory; and they think that it used to be a watch chain turned into a necklace. Mine was pricey, about 800, but I really loved it and also it's heavy at 18 grams. Gold is so frustratingly expensive these days!

This chain is so lovely on you and do you wear it daily even though it’s ‘heavy?’ I think weight is a factor, but I think antique chains should look and feel different from our modern chains. Does anyone else agree? Thanks for the seller tip!

-C4C

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This chain is so lovely on you and do you wear it daily even though it’s ‘heavy?’ I think weight is a factor, but I think antique chains should look and feel different from our modern chains. Does anyone else agree? Thanks for the seller tip!

-C4C

I don't wear it daily mainly because I have so much stuff haha. It doesn't feel too heavy too me no. A decent sterling chain would be that many grams so even though it's heavier than many box chains etc. it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crazie4Cuts, I have a gold paper clip chain that is 8.5 grams and that is a good weight, not too heavy and not super light. Of course it’s always nice to have a higher gold gram weight but you pay for that!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the seller knows that they have a Victorian watch/muff chain, they are certainly going to ask more.
If you search under other terms, you might score one for a lot less. I have never bought from Etsy or Rubylane, but I am a frequent eBay shopper.
Try searching terms like 'old', 'vintage', 'unusual clasp', 'fancy link', etc.
Sometimes people find these things in auction lots or estate sale, and they have no idea what the chain really is.
The good stuff is out there, we just have to look!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love those types of chains and dog clips. The few times I’ve seen them pop up they sell fast. I have a platinum one. It was described as deco but no idea if that is the right time period or not. The clasp is a replacement. I notice the weight of it when I pick it up, but once it’s on I don’t feel it at all. Good luck with your search and I hope you find something fabulous in your budget!
027AF1B9-E2CF-42D3-98F8-2437565A343D.jpeg

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Crazie4Cuts, I have a gold paper clip chain that is 8.5 grams and that is a good weight, not too heavy and not super light. Of course it’s always nice to have a higher gold gram weight but you pay for that!

Oooh, can you post pictures? And was your chain hall marked? Is that important? I’ve seen some chains that appear to be ’married’ 10k gold chain with 14k clasp, and some which said had repairs, what do you think about that?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is so lovely and in original condition! So meaningful too that it is your great-grandmother’s! One can only hope..:pray:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, can you post pictures? And was your chain hall marked? Is that important? I’ve seen some chains that appear to be ’married’ 10k gold chain with 14k clasp, and some which said had repairs, what do you think about that?

Here you go, I have a new phone so this is the only pic I have so far of this necklace. I bought it from @PreRaphaelite in the pre-loved forum so as far as I know the clasps are original. Actually this morning I started thinking that I could swap out the existing lobster claw clasp for a dog clip and bolt clasp. Of course my jeweler would have to do this since I don’t hack gold myself :read:

It wouldn’t bother me to have a lower karat chain and higher karat clasp as long as it’s disclosed and you are paying for what you’re receiving. Same for repairs, if they are well done then it’s fine but everyone has a different comfort level.

A12C85EE-A2B0-4775-9391-7A00A6D5BD38.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Here you go, I have a new phone so this is the only pic I have so far of this necklace. I bought it from @PreRaphaelite in the pre-loved forum so as far as I know the clasps are original. Actually this morning I started thinking that I could swap out the existing lobster claw clasp for a dog clip and bolt clasp. Of course my jeweler would have to do this since I don’t hack gold myself :read:

It wouldn’t bother me to have a lower karat chain and higher karat clasp as long as it’s disclosed and you are paying for what you’re receiving. Same for repairs, if they are well done then it’s fine but everyone has a different comfort level.

A12C85EE-A2B0-4775-9391-7A00A6D5BD38.jpeg

It’s so pretty! And it would look amazing with a spring ring and dog clip.

I agree with you about getting what you expect to get from a seller’s description. Makes me so furious if I’m ripped off! I returned a chain recently because of that, only to see it listed again with the same lies about gold content.

(Also, not for nothing, I stand by everything I sell and have a no-time-limit 100% refund policy for any reason or no reason, no exceptions. If anyone ever wants to return anything, ever, I will accept it back!)

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with you about getting what you expect to get from a seller’s description. Makes me so furious if I’m ripped off! I returned a chain recently because of that, only to see it listed again with the same lies about gold content.

(Also, not for nothing, I stand by everything I sell and have a no-time-limit 100% refund policy for any reason or no reason, no exceptions. If anyone ever wants to return anything, ever, I will accept it back!)

Wow! @PreRaphaelite! How did you know that the chain was ‘fake?’ Or maybe not as described? Can you post pictures and or if possible show me the link so I can check for my knowledge? See that’s what I mean! Who can you trust nowadays!? I mean how do you know if the item is rolled gold, 9ct, 14k unless the hallmarks are stamped on both the chain and dog clip! I know that not all Victorian antique chained were stamped, so how can you tell?

Also, I’m not as knowledgeable about Eagle head, lion’s marks and such on items...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

I’ve seen you mention selling before; do you have an Etsy shop??

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow! @PreRaphaelite! How did you know that the chain was ‘fake?’ Or maybe not as described? Can you post pictures and or if possible show me the link so I can check for my knowledge? See that’s what I mean! Who can you trust nowadays!? I mean how do you know if the item is rolled gold, 9ct, 14k unless the hallmarks are stamped on both the chain and dog clip! I know that not all Victorian antique chained were stamped, so how can you tell?

Also, I’m not as knowledgeable about Eagle head, lion’s marks and such on items...

Usually I can’t trust stamps because (unless they are British guild marks) stamps can lie. So, I take new purchases to a local pawn shop and have them tested on the electronic machine they have. I also don’t trust chemical acid tests either. Just the machine. I make sure to test the links and the clasp, and I take photos of the results if they come back as anything other than what the seller listed.

Having said that, even the best sellers can make mistakes, so I dont usually lead with righteous indignation! I reserve that for the times when the seller is dismissive or doesn’t respond.

Pawn shops are a great resource.

75DBFEEF-FB26-4B98-91DD-04C6AB47F8CC.jpeg

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen you mention selling before; do you have an Etsy shop??

I do, but I’m not ‘in the trade’ as it were. Anything for Sale in my shop goes in the PS Preloved section. (I have no current listings.) I prefer to sell to PS instead of to the public. I think probably many of us here on the forum have Etsy shops to rehome items we decide not to keep. Thank goodness for that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results