shape
carat
color
clarity

Should she be with me when I get the ring formally appraised

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hansel

Rough_Rock
I am in a bit of a time crunch and I do not believe I will have time to get the stone and ring combination formally appraised (the stone has been verfied). Is it inappropriate for her to be with me when I get the stone formally appraised?

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Nathan, I wouldn''t say it was either appropriate or inappropriate. I am just wondering why would you want her with you for the appraisal? If there is a specific reason why, then go for it. Otherwise, I don''t see it being a big deal.

Hansel

Rough_Rock
Only that I want to get the diamond and setting formally appraised asap, but the most free time I will have is when I go to her to propose. I am only in Colorado for 5 days, so I don''t think she would want to be without me during that time. I know that sounded incredibly cheesy, but I live in Maryland and she is Colorado (long distance for 2 years). We don''t get to see each other much, and when we do we don''t like to be apart.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
it is completely a personal decision. Is it important to you or her that the value is not known to the other? I know my wife did not want to know anything about her ring at all. it comes down to what you think personally.

sorry I am not of any help at all.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
She might get a big kick out of learning the details about her ring. I know I would--and I did.

ak dia

Rough_Rock
you know i''m a girl and i''m a fellow Marylander as well...and i would have to say that you should get it appraised in your own time, perhaps in MD or DC. I know some type of girls might feel a bit weirded out and guilty when thinking about all that money spent on an object(albeit a very symbolic one) for her. And some girls might even have had certain expectations for the amount spent on it. Lets just put it this way... its kind of like leaving the presale price tag on a gift. Now its a totally different story when the girl is participating in choosing the ring. Thats because its one of those first major decisions in a life being shared together. However if you already chose the ring, why subject her needlessly to the price? Lets try to keep the moment magical.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I also feel that it’s a personal decision but if it was me....I would go with her…it will be fun! I always like to have my nose in everything…ha ha ha!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
If I had the chance to go along and learn more about my diamond, I would jump at the chance. My hubby and I both chose my diamond and we went and had it appraised together, I wouldn''t have had it any other way, even if he had chosen the diamond without me, but maybe it''s because I''m naturally inquisitive and curious. Visiting the appraiser was a fun time and it''s a great ''doing things together'' moment. Your engagement ring is a symbol of unity, so why not find out more about it as a couple? I''d say propose to your girlfriend and then give her the option to go along to the appraiser with you, or else if she doesn''t want to then you can go alone, and she won''t wonder where you are, because she''ll know.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you do have the ring appraised with your significant other with you AND you don''t want her to know what you paid...you must share
that with the appraiser before the appointment. I always ask before I discuss valuation with my clients if it''s o.k. to talk about it. I''ve heard some stories from angry clients where the appraiser didn''t have the good sense to ask first. I''m all for being discreet...after all, we are dealing with intense human feelings and emotions. The purchase and presentation of a diamond engagement ring is not like buying a handbag. Although some handbags are very pricey!!
5.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Hansel

Rough_Rock
All of this was actually great advice.

That''s a good answer. Thanks, I will ask her what she wants to do when I get there. I will tell the appraiser before I go, whether or not she wants to know the price. Thanks Pricescopers,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results