shape
carat
color
clarity

Should "low-level" crimes like drug possession and prostitution be decriminalized?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am open to decriminalizing.
Also, I'm open to hearing other arguments.

I don't accept the argument that drug use should be a crime since it can result in robbery etc.
By all means prosecute the robbery.
But not every drug user commits that or other crimes.

We allow folks to smoke, drink, and eat crappy food till they explode.
So why not let them use drugs?

Yes, women (and men) can be forced into prostitution.
That is a crime, not the prostitution itself.
There are women and men who are not forced into it.
Consenting adults ... and all that.
Underage prostitution should of course stay very illegal!

But hows bout we make victimless crimes no longer crimes?
They could even tax prostitution, clean it up, and provide health screening, etc.

I support freedom to do things that can result in self harm, like eating junk food, smoking, and not exercising.
I say, let's end the pious and puritanical nanny state.
Let's save tax dollars unnecessarily supporting a zillion people in prisons.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, Everything is legal in cities run by liberals. Don't believe me? go ask your LA DA George Gascon.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about shoplifting?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legalize drugs and prostitution. Tax it. Leave people alone and focus on other issues. I live in a state where weed is legal and opioid deaths plummeted.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about shoplifting?

Of course not!
I define crime as what harms others.
Shoplifting is not a victimless crime.

I like that saying Matt Dillahunty often repeats, "Your right to swing your arm ends at my nose."
Secular morality! :clap:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legalize drugs and prostitution. Tax it. Leave people alone and focus on other issues. I live in a state where weed is legal and opioid deaths plummeted.

Exactly! Legalize drugs and tax it. Folks with addictions need rehab and support, not prison. And legalize sex work. It would make such work safer for everyone involved.

I agree with legalisation of drugs (consumption/possession, at least) and sex work. Tax it and educate police etc on how to sensitively deal with users/addicts/sex workers so that they have protections. You would have a lot less violence if sex workers had the ability to report crimes (like assault) instead of having to hide or minimise it in order to avoid prosecution themselves. Same goes with addicts - they would be much more likely to seek help for their addictions if they were not afraid of jail time. Besides, if you still want to reduce consumption of the harder drugs, you can make it illegal to sell but not illegal to buy or use. I support full legalisation of drugs like marijuana which aren’t associated with overdose/addiction/physiological problems and can in fact be beneficial for things like anxiety and pain management; but at least legalisation of drug consumption for all drugs should be made possible.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prostitution is legal in NZ
the woman don't have to fear prosecution them selves if they are a victim of crime

we recently had a referendum on legalizing pot
it was a narrow defeat
Gary and I both voted no to decriminalization and surprisingly so did my liberal woke sister

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have grown up in a country were prostitution is legalised and prostitutes protected. Since 1965 it was not a crime anymore, since 1991 not an offence. Since 2002 prostitution got the status as a profession. This is necessary for prostitutes to be able to get into the healthcare system legally, retirement etc. Of course they pay normal income tax. Since 2017 there is a law specifically protecting sex workers. It is supposed to make it easier for them to report any crimes against them and to prosecute those crimes accordingly.

Unfortunately this has not put a stop to sex trafficking, forced prostitution etc. I sure hope it will continue to have better effects in the future. It is not, however, a miracle cure for abuse and the slave like circumstances prostitution sometimes seemd to mean for sex workers.

I do hope that it has significantly improved the situation of those who work in this field because they chose to do so.

For drugs: I think marijuana is semi legal (very small amounts for private consumption ok) .
We do have substitution programmes free of charge for addicts.
This also has not put an end to drug criminality. We don't have the massive opioid crisis the US have, but for some people it's still a gateway drug. So I've always been torn on this.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd have to study the results from places that have decriminalized those things before having an opinion either way.

One change I do like is how it seems they now apply current laws to prostitution customers too, no longer only arresting the prostitutes while their customers get a free pass. If it is illegal then both parties should at least be held to the law equally.

Last edited:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with you 100%!!!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I have grown up in a country were prostitution is legalised and prostitutes protected. Since 1965 it was not a crime anymore, since 1991 not an offence. Since 2002 prostitution got the status as a profession. This is necessary for prostitutes to be able to get into the healthcare system legally, retirement etc. Of course they pay normal income tax. Since 2017 there is a law specifically protecting sex workers. It is supposed to make it easier for them to report any crimes against them and to prosecute those crimes accordingly.

Unfortunately this has not put a stop to sex trafficking, forced prostitution etc. I sure hope it will continue to have better effects in the future. It is not, however, a miracle cure for abuse and the slave like circumstances prostitution sometimes seemd to mean for sex workers.

I do hope that it has significantly improved the situation of those who work in this field because they chose to do so.

For drugs: I think marijuana is semi legal (very small amounts for private consumption ok) .
We do have substitution programmes free of charge for addicts.
This also has not put an end to drug criminality. We don't have the massive opioid crisis the US have, but for some people it's still a gateway drug. So I've always been torn on this.

I wholeheartedly support the decriminalisation and protection of sex workers. I take it you grew up in Europe? Such a civilised viewpoint.

But to comment on the bit about cannabis being a gateway drug, cannabis is not the problem. If you're an addict, you're an addict. The substance isn't the problem, you are.

I was in rehab with people who were addicted to heroin; we sat right next to people who were addicted to OTC headache powders. Substance means nothing. We'd be addicts even without cannabis.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wholeheartedly support the decriminalisation and protection of sex workers. I take it you grew up in Europe? Such a civilised viewpoint.

But to comment on the bit about cannabis being a gateway drug, cannabis is not the problem. If you're an addict, you're an addict. The substance isn't the problem, you are.

I was in rehab with people who were addicted to heroin; we sat right next to people who were addicted to OTC headache powders. Substance means nothing. We'd be addicts even without cannabis.

Thank you for clarifying this, @Trekkie . Yes, I'm German and while there's less cash for bling in our pockets, the tax money *is* used elsewhere.

I'm fortunate (?) in that my addiction potential is largely canalised towards bling (and perfume), so I appreciate any new viewpoints

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for clarifying this, @Trekkie . Yes, I'm German and while there's less cash for bling in our pockets, the tax money *is* used elsewhere.

I'm fortunate (?) in that my addiction potential is largely canalised towards bling (and perfume), so I appreciate any new viewpoints

I loved living in Germany. Everything works. My grandfather is probably turning in his grave as I type this, but really, I'd return in a heartbeat! :lol:

Bling and perfume are awesome addictions! I'm too stingy to spend on perfume but I do enjoy it as a gift!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Would I get a citation for driving under the influence of marijuana in your state?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would I get a citation for driving under the influence of marijuana in your state?

Yes. You can drive with it in your car (since you can buy it recreationally and trade it) but it has to be sealed and in the glove compartment. If you’re caught smoking while driving or driving erratically and you or the vehicle smells like smoke it’s treated like a DUI.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does make it legal and tax really work?
I dont smoke weed but know some who do.
From what I have been told:
Legal weed from a dispensary in IL runs $20+ a gram with taxes where usually better quality street weed is $5 a gram both vary a bit by area and quantity.
Some people will pay the higher price but nothing has really changed in the market other than not getting arrested for small amounts of weed.

Does make it legal and tax really work?
I dont smoke weed but know some who do.
From what I have been told:
Legal weed from a dispensary in IL runs $20+ a gram with taxes where usually better quality street weed is $5 a gram both vary a bit by area and quantity.
Some people will pay the higher price but nothing has really changed in the market other than not getting arrested for small amounts of weed.

I would say over time it probably would if quality improves and the price discrepancy reduces a bit. But just reducing the number of arrests for possession/consumption is good for society.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I would not prosecute sex workers themselves, and in fact I believe selling sex should be decriminalised entirely. BUYING sex on the other hand.... I’d still come down like a ton of bricks on people who use their services. People who buy the sexual use of another persons body, consensual or not, are filth and should be jailed IMO.

My view is the biggest problem with the drugs trade is the proceeds of selling drugs are used to fund more pernicious criminal activity. Legalise it and you cut off that funding to organised crime syndicates. Let people do drugs if they want - same arguments as above - if it wasn’t using an illegal drug they’d be doing something equally unhealthy.

Q

Queenie60

NO - ABSOLUTELY NOT. Leads to more crimes being decriminalized.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think prostitution and marijuana should be legalized and taxed.

I think decriminalizing other crimes is a big mistake because they often lead to more serious crimes.

For example people who jump the subway turnstiles often also commit more major dangerous crimes so I am in favor of prosecuting fare beaters. Even though that is viewed as a minor crime. It often leads to more serious crimes.

So I am not in favor of ignoring (smaller) crimes because they often do lead to more serious offenses. And past history shows that prosecuting less serious offenses leads to an overall decrease in more serious offenses.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Sex work is legal here and honestly it's no different from any other profession. Employers pay tax etc, employees are protected. Sex workers can access health care, contraception, etc easily and without fuss. If one were to be mistreated this would be a crime like any other kind of assault, but I can't think of any time this has reached the news or caught my attention. There is no need for 'back street' brothels or for sex workers to put themselves in dangerous positions trying to solicit customers.

We recently had a referendum to legalise cannabis which was very narrowly defeated. I think this will change once the older generation have died out.

I would not prosecute sex workers themselves, and in fact I believe selling sex should be decriminalised entirely. BUYING sex on the other hand.... I’d still come down like a ton of bricks on people who use their services. People who buy the sexual use of another persons body, consensual or not, are filth and should be jailed IMO.

My view is the biggest problem with the drugs trade is the proceeds of selling drugs are used to fund more pernicious criminal activity. Legalise it and you cut off that funding to organised crime syndicates. Let people do drugs if they want - same arguments as above - if it wasn’t using an illegal drug they’d be doing something equally unhealthy.

Not trying to be confrontational or change your opinion; but I just wanted to reply to the first paragraph.

I’m just wondering why your stance on people buying sex is so harsh if they stick to the sex worker’s rules, and it is consensual, and they don’t harm/assault them in any way. In my eyes there’s little difference between general sex work and sugaring, or being a “trophy wife” (except that in the latter cases ‘payment’ is in the form of gifts (and/or cash) and for a trophy wife the arrangement is usually monogamous. But it’s still someone purchasing the sexual use of someone’s body). For example, the idea of people “sleeping their way to the top” exists in every industry, particularly acting/modelling. Do you feel this strongly about all these cases as well, or is there something about “traditional sex work” in particular that you find more distasteful/worthy of jail time? How about strip clubs?

Personally, I have never sought out these services and it’s not my cup of tea; and as long as everyone is consenting, of age and isn’t causing anyone physical harm it’s none of my business; but I tend to see all of the stuff I mentioned in the previous paragraph as similar versions of the same central concept. So I don’t see why they should be jailed for either buying or selling.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This topic is rather current. I would decriminalize both the buyers and sellers of sex. Recently, they police bagged an owner of a big famous sports team(I forgot which). Frankly, I thought it was stupid. Men, mostly have been doing this for years ad years. They pay for a service and everyone is happy. Sex workers ought to be protected, but I don't think it is my concern who is doing what in the area of sex. The DA ended up dropping the charges against the famous owner, as they should have.

Now, we have a member of Congress who is in the news.. My distaste for this man is political, but I don't care how many women he has paid for sex. There is one who is 17 which may be an exception, but the rest,--who cares.

Drug use I'm more cautious about. I do not agree with Trekie that the problem with the addict is themselves. Deliverance from pain, as in the use of opiates is in the opiates. Drugs change peoples chemistry, even if only for a nite. It is the drugs that do that, thus an organization like AA advocates abstinence. So, I would decriminalize, but would suggest caution. I did marajuna(Sp) when I was younger. I had such a bad reaction I would never try it again.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By all means continue to prosecute crimes that have a victim, but not consenting adults doing what YOU think is naughty and sinful.
If you don't like sex work, don't do it.

Then, mind your own damn business. :naughty:

I hope this sweeps the nation, and the world.

Last edited:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
On the surface, I'm in favor of legalizing prostitution. However, my concern comes where prostitution and human trafficking interface. Would dropping prosecution of prostitution make prosecution of human trafficking harder? My gut says probably not, because if prostitutes weren't in fear of law enforcement they might be more willing to come forward with information on traffickers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results