shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I worry about crown angle 36 & pavilion angle 40.6?

adstanford

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope Fam,

It would be great to get some advice from the very helpful folks here.

I'm looking at a stone in the $13~17k price range. An interesting one after filtering has the following dimensions:
  • 1.81 carat
  • G-VS2
  • Depth 62%
  • Table 58%
  • Crown angle 36%
  • Crown height 15.5%
  • Pavillion angle 40.6%
  • Pavillion depth 43%
  • Girdle medium-slightly thick 4%
HCA score turns out to be 1.7:
  1. Light return - very good
  2. Fire - excellent
  3. Scintillation - very good
  4. Spread - very good
The video could be found at https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/18774629. All the specifications look good except for the crown angle exceeding 35.

Do you think the 36 crown angle could be concerning here? Also, the GIA certificate seems to come from 2 years ago, not sure if that is concerning too?

Thank you all for taking a look at this!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately that stone isn't well cut. Happy to find alternatives if you're open!

adstanford

Rough_Rock
That would be awesome thank you!

I am ok with going up to $18k and hoping I can find something over 1.5 carat if you don't mind shedding some light.

By the way, does this mean the HCA score is not too trustworthy although it says 1.7 - Excellent? (I am still new and learning thanks in advance)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better option

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be awesome thank you!

I am ok with going up to $18k and hoping I can find something over 1.5 carat if you don't mind shedding some light.

By the way, does this mean the HCA score is not too trustworthy although it says 1.7 - Excellent? (I am still new and learning thanks in advance)

HCA tool is a way to weed out bad stones, but not a way to decide if one is good.

adstanford

Rough_Rock
Much better option

This looks great!

I am just curious about the H & VVS2 combination here. I was reading somewhere else about selecting (G and above) + (VS2 and above), which is different from the strategy here.

I guess color doesn't matter that much as long as it is H and above?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks great!

I am just curious about the H & VVS2 combination here. I was reading somewhere else about selecting (G and above) + (VS2 and above), which is different from the strategy here.

I guess color doesn't matter that much as long as it is H and above?

Color depends on your own sensitivity.

Most people won't perceive H as "too yellow" but it just depends on the person's sensitivity. Cut is the most important thing.

I agree that clarity above VS2 is usually unnecessary, but I really liked that stone

adstanford

Rough_Rock
Color depends on your own sensitivity.

Most people won't perceive H as "too yellow" but it just depends on the person's sensitivity. Cut is the most important thing.

I agree that clarity above VS2 is usually unnecessary, but I really liked that stone

Gotcha!

Between the two selected above, it looks the first one has some advantage since it is the same color, higher clarity yet even cheaper, if I understand correctly?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha!

Between the two selected above, it looks the first one has some advantage since it is the same color, higher clarity yet even cheaper, if I understand correctly?

Yes and no. Victor canera has super ideal stones that have been heavily vetted and are among the best of the best.

James Allen is a drop shipper so none of their stones are in house. That particular stone looks really good, but it doesn't come with the advanced images, etc, from VC.

@DejaWiz @Kim N what do you think? I see some "streaks" (peovsbly polish marks) in the JA one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

adstanford

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I guess for the above items, we were looking at 1.8 ct.

If we go for smaller ct, would that give us higher color or cut within our budget 18.5k ish?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no. Victor canera has super ideal stones that have been heavily vetted and are among the best of the best.

James Allen is a drop shipper so none of their stones are in house. That particular stone looks really good, but it doesn't come with the advanced images, etc, from VC.

@DejaWiz @Kim N what do you think? I see some "streaks" (peovsbly polish marks) in the JA one.

I see those streaks too. I wonder why they don't show up in the report. I like the JA stone a lot as long as the streaks don't affect transparency.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually don't go for the 36/40.6 combo, but this stone looks well cut and gets you to 1.90 ct. within budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually don't go for the 36/40.6 combo, but this stone looks well cut and gets you to 1.90 ct. within budget.

Do you think there would be "paddling" IRL at 12 and 9 o'clock?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I do not think you could go wrong with either. You may want to check up their upgrade policies or other considerations to decide, if both are on the table.

adstanford

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just noticed that the whiteflash diamond AGS report is as old as 2018. I am wondering whether that is a red flag?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
With this seller, I would not worry, but you could ask for a refreshed report.

adstanford

Rough_Rock
Thank you folks for the reply.

I asked whiteflash about the problem of old 2018 report for that diamond. They replied that "This diamond was upgraded, but inspected and found to be in original condition." Do you folks have any concern about such trade-in stone? (The stone was upgraded in 2020, therefore it sounds like it has been in the inventory for 4 years)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I asked whiteflash about the problem of old 2018 report for that diamond. They replied that "This diamond was upgraded, but inspected and found to be in original condition." Do you folks have any concern about such trade-in stone? (The stone was upgraded in 2020, therefore it sounds like it has been in the inventory for 4 years)

Personally, heck no, not with this vendor. They probably took it in and checked every tiny detail to make sure the stone was as it was. Otherwise, they would take a loss. If you don't feel comfortable though, you can ask for it to be sent off for a new report.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope, 0 concerns.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results