shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade or go for diamond stud earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:03:08 PM
Author: Chrono
Metro,
Just a FYI if you haven''t done a pricing comparison to check how much the ''used'' HOF is selling for:
0.73 F VS2 from JA $3K
0.76 F VS2 from WF (ACA) $3.5K

If the pricing is competitive and in-line with these web offerings, I''d say go ahead with the HOF stone. If it is MUCH more, I''d stick with unbranded AGS0 cuts.
My current stone cost $2300.00

This stone cosst $3500.00

So it will cost me $1200.00 out of pocket w/my trade-in. Eeeeeek! Should I go for it?!?!?!?!?!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metro,
Just a FYI if you haven''t done a pricing comparison to check how much the ''used'' HOF is selling for:
0.73 F VS2 from JA $3K

If the pricing is competitive and in-line with these web offerings, I''d say go ahead with the HOF stone. If it is MUCH more, I''d stick with unbranded AGS0 cuts.
Metro,
HOF is a branded cut, so it cost more. Usually, HOFs cost about 40% more than the unbranded superideals, so if you can get a HOF at a unbranded super cut stone, I''d take it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2007 10:39:39 AM
Author: metro

Metro,
0.73 F VS2 from JA $3K

So it will cost me $1200.00 out of pocket w/my trade-in. Eeeeeek! Should I go for it?!?!?!?!?!
Wow, pricing looks really good. Just make sure it really is a HOF and not just base it on its inscription because anybody can inscribe whatever they want on the girdle. I saw a post earlier in this thread with a red flag that this might be an EGL cert and HOF stones are AGS certs.
33.gif

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the cert:

canidandiamondscan0017.jpg

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 10:37:05 AM
Date: 6/1/2007 12:28:10 AM

Author: lumpkin

Oooo, if it''s not a lot more money I''d jump on the HOF. It''s not every day something like that is traded in and available, but that''s just my opinion. I would still definitely upgrade the ring. I want to see my bling because it''s for ME not my friends, family, coworkers, etc. The earrings you have are probably just fine. Remember they get dirtier because of the oils on your ear, your hair products, etc., and they aren''t as convenient to clean.

I would be so psyched to find an affordable HOF. I''m not really into branded things, but I''d be just as excited over a Coach bag for a great deal, too.

Your excitement is a little contagious! Is this a good deal?

What is the deal with HOF? Why are they so special?

HOF is a Branded Hearts and Arrows diamond. WOW performance at a WOW price tag. Hence the earlier comment of "Wallets on Fire".

I have to agree with Moikoi. Instead of VG/VG, you would typically see ID/ID.

Maybe a Cert variance because you don''t live in the US, Metro?? Definitely something to check into, I''d think.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 10:42:48 AM

Date: 6/1/2007 10:39:39 AM

Metro,
0.73 F VS2 from JA $3K

Wow, pricing looks really good. Just make sure it really is a HOF and not just base it on its inscription because anybody can inscribe whatever they want on the girdle. I saw a post earlier in this thread with a red flag that this might be an EGL cert and HOF stones are AGS certs.
33.gif
Interesting.....

The jeweler doesn''t open for another hour. I''m going to call to see if indeed this is a HOF diamond with an AGS cert. Could it be possible that it has two certs?

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 10:46:18 AM
Author: Finding_Neverland

Date: 6/1/2007 10:37:05 AM

Date: 6/1/2007 12:28:10 AM

Author: lumpkin

Oooo, if it''s not a lot more money I''d jump on the HOF. It''s not every day something like that is traded in and available, but that''s just my opinion. I would still definitely upgrade the ring. I want to see my bling because it''s for ME not my friends, family, coworkers, etc. The earrings you have are probably just fine. Remember they get dirtier because of the oils on your ear, your hair products, etc., and they aren''t as convenient to clean.

I would be so psyched to find an affordable HOF. I''m not really into branded things, but I''d be just as excited over a Coach bag for a great deal, too.

Your excitement is a little contagious! Is this a good deal?

What is the deal with HOF? Why are they so special?

HOF is a Branded Hearts and Arrows diamond. WOW performance at a WOW price tag. Hence the earlier comment of ''Wallets on Fire''.

I have to agree with Moikoi. Instead of VG/VG, you would typically see ID/ID.

Maybe a Cert variance because you don''t live in the US, Metro?? Definitely something to check into, I''d think.
Oh, but I do live in the US. I live in Houston. The diamond is in Austin.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, a stone normally does not have 2 certs. I am thinking something is fishy here. It clearly has a EGL cert and the polish & symm aren't tops, so it can't be a real HOF. Perhaps someone wants it to be HOF so he/she had the jeweller inscribe the girdle? The price seems in-line with an excellent cut stone at a B&M store, but super cheap for a HOF.

ETA
Do you have any HOF dealers in your area? Can you give them a call/pay a visit and ask about the certification?

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
From the info on the Cert, it scores well on the HCA.

1.5, TIC, Ex/Ex/VG/VG.

Interesting! A HOF diamond with a new EGL Cert. Cert is dated April 26, 2007.

But then again,........... The Labs typically just report the inscription on the girdle. Doesn''t necessarily make the inscription true.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 10:54:33 AM
Author: Finding_Neverland
From the info on the Cert, it scores well on the HCA.

1.5, TIC, Ex/Ex/VG/VG.

Interesting! A HOF diamond with a new EGL Cert. Cert is dated April 26, 2007.

But then again,........... The Labs typically just report the inscription on the girdle. Doesn''t necessarily make the inscription true.
True. But that makes me wonder, who would have the *fill in the blank* to inscribe that if it wasn''t....Strange.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does, however, have a HOF number 9720. So I was wondering if a HOF dealer can authenticate the stone as a real HOF through its records?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2007 11:03:33 AM
It does, however, have a HOF number 9720. So I was wondering if a HOF dealer can authenticate the stone as a real HOF through its records?
I was just going to stick my nose in and point that out, well worth a try and it might clear things up.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 11:07:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 6/1/2007 11:03:33 AM

I was just going to stick my nose in and point that out, well worth a try and it might clear things up.

Good point! Definitely worth checking into. Could be this is a good deal to be had and a little investigation will prove it to be true.
1.gif

Moikoi

Rough_Rock
i can see at least three reasons why this is NOT a HoF stone...

#1...this stone is price too low
#2...all HoF stones are 0 cut graded by AGS.
#3...all Hof stones will have a Hof logo inscribed on the girdle.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 11:39:44 AM
Author: Moikoi

Would comments on the EGL show that the HOF logo is also incribed if it''s indeed there?

What''s the sure way for me to know 100% if this is indeed a HOF diamond?

The jeweler opens in 10 minutes!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2007 11:54:10 AM

Would comments on the EGL show that the HOF logo is also incribed if it''s indeed there?

Contact a HoF dealer and ask. Only the HoF dealer will know all the answers to our question as to the logo and AGS/EGL cert.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2007 11:58:59 AM

Contact a HoF dealer and ask. Only the HoF dealer will know all the answers to our question as to the logo and AGS/EGL cert.
Ditto.

Moikoi

Rough_Rock

will cost you a lot more than $3500.
9.gif

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 12:02:07 PM

will cost you a lot more than $3500.
9.gif
Just got off the phone with the jeweler.

SURPRISE - She totally screwed up in her emails to me. The HOF diamond cost $4800, not $3500.
29.gif
38.gif
7.gif

She got her certs and dimaonds mixed up in her emails to me.

The $3500 is acutally for a Canadian diamond that is a G/SI2.
7.gif

I''m so bummed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is the jeweller saying that the HoF stone has a EGL USA cert? The pricing of $4.8k sounds about right for a HoF. Wallets on Fire indeed.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 12:25:39 PM
So is the jeweller saying that the HoF stone has a EGL USA cert? The pricing of $4.8k sounds about right for a HoF. Wallets on Fire indeed.
Indeed - $4800
23.gif

I''m waiting on the GIA cert for the .75/G/SI2.

I''ll post it as soon as it shows up in my inbox.

Boy, you guys were right on the money!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, it sounds fishy Metro. You question the certs and suddenly the price goes up and the HOF still has an EGL cert? I''d still be very interested to see what HOF has to say about the diamond. If the stories don''t mesh, I''d press her about it, and I''d probably go elsewhere with my $1200.

I''d still upgrade the diamond if possible. Even if you get a really kick butt cut I''d do that rather than get studs. BUT, I wear a lot of costume jewelry for earrings because I''m known to lose earrings. And again, I want to see my diamond because most people won''t appreciate my diamond (in real life) the way I will, and I can''t see earrings when I''m wearing them. But that''s just me. I think your ring is absolutely gorgeous and on your small finger it already has a beautiful presentation. It really, truly is a gorgeous ring. Maybe you might enjoy the earrings more. It really depends on the deal you can get.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I would go for the upgraded e-ring stone (so I can see it).

I do find it strange that the "HOF" stone has an EGL cert....but, if you are no longer interested in it then I would not bother looking into it to see what is the deal.

Good luck with your exciting decision!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 12:36:40 PM

Indeed - $4800
23.gif

So here''s the info on the GIA .75/G/SI2. The stone isn''t mapped. I''d have to pay to have that done after my visual inspection.

What do you guys think?

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 3:33:15 PM

Date: 6/1/2007 12:36:40 PM

Indeed - $4800
23.gif

So here''s the info on the GIA .75/G/SI2. The stone isn''t mapped. I''d have to pay to have that done after my visual inspection.

What do you guys think?
OH, I GUESS THE PIC WOULD HELP!

CANADIANGIAscan0018.jpg

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''m such a goof. I just realized the depth on this stone. Why did she tell me it was "Ideal"? I''m confused....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the mini-cert. Why do you have to pay for a full cert?

ETA
With only a mini-cert, I can't get the crown & pavilon angles. The stone is a tad deep but maybe it's okay (or not). Like I mentioned earlier, really can't tell without all the numbers. Also, you can't call the stone IDEAL if the polish & symmetry is only Good and Good. For rounds, you can get MUCH better stones than this. I'd keep looking (and look elsewhere too).

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 3:38:12 PM
That''s the mini-cert. Why do you have to pay for a full cert?

ETA
With only a mini-cert, I can''t get the crown & pavilon angles. The stone is a tad deep but maybe it''s okay (or not). Like I mentioned earlier, really can''t tell without all the numbers. Also, you can''t call the stone IDEAL if the polish & symmetry is only Good and Good. For rounds, you can get MUCH better stones than this. I''d keep looking (and look elsewhere too).
I wish I could look elsewhere but if I want to trade-in, then I''ll have to go with this jeweler.
38.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass on this stone. It isn't worth it to pay for the cert:

1. Too deep
2. Table too large
3. Don't like the Very Thin girdle - prone to chipping
4. I'd aim for at least VG VG (Excellent is better) on the Polish & Symmetry
5. Need all the numbers (crown & pavilion information)

I guess you have to keep looking then. I thought you had given her tight parameters, so why is she bringing in this stone?!!
20.gif

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 3:51:53 PM
I''d pass on this stone. It isn''t worth it to pay for the cert:

1. Too deep
2. Table too large
3. Don''t like the Very Thin girdle - prone to chipping
4. I''d aim for at least VG VG (Excellent is better) on the Polish & Symmetry
5. Need all the numbers (crown & pavilion information)

I guess you have to keep looking then. I thought you had given her tight parameters, so why is she bringing in this stone?!!
20.gif
Right! That was my first thought. I spelled our all my requirement in my original email. The main reason I was looking to trade-up was to get a cut better stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results