shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade my studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
One of DH''s golf buddies, who also happens to be a jeweler, called him about a pair of ideal cut round diamond stud earrings that he says are stunning. They are 2.5 carats total weight H color SI2 clarity in 18 kt. white gold martini settings. He offered them to us at a pretty decent price and he will give us full value for the princess cut studs that I received for my last birthday. My princess studs are 1.44 carats total weight F color VS2 clarity in platinum baskets. DH has agreed to do this for me for Christmas if I want. What do you guys think? I have enjoyed the uniqueness of the princess cuts, but almost all of my other diamonds are round and we all know rounds are more sparkly. Will I regret giving up F VS2 for H SI2 in earrings? Will round studs look better with the round diamonds in my three stone ring? Do you think 2.5 carats total is too big? I do have fairly large lobes. Is bigger always better???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES bigger is always better, silly girl!!
31.gif

Haha had to say it.

Anyway, I would do it...I think H SI2 is GREAT for earrings, as long as they are eye-clean...you won''t see a thing. I have I SI''s and I love them and because of how well cut they are, they look whiter than my old pair of G''s that were not well-cut at all.

Make sure the cut is very good because it doesn''t pay to get bigger stones that won''t sparkle. My old earrings were not well-cut and they looked like earrings on the ears. Big deal. My pair of ACA smaller ones look just as big as the old larger ones AND the fire and light that comes off these babies is breathttaking...BIG DIFFERENCE.

So I''d say if they are well-cut then go for it. 1.25c in each ear is not overkill IMO...I knew a gal who wore 1c in each ear and it looked great, esp if you have larger ears or are a taller person etc.

But I''d check out the cut because again, you don''t want to end up trading in for something that is not what you thought and be unhappy with how they sparkle or lack thereof!!

I also think rounds are more classic but I wouldn''t mind a nice pair of princesses either.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

woops double post.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Go for it!!! If your husband gives you the green light, I''ll say take a look at them to make sure that the cut is good and that they are eye clean. I think you should not turn away from an opportunity to own a pair of nice studs for a great price. 2.5 tcw is an amazing size! Just picture Angeline Jolie with her studs on, these studs are going to look huge and stunning on you.
18.gif

They are classic and I don''t think you are going to get bored of them. You will be very happy with them for a very long time.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Mara and Jewels, if the larger studs have a fabulous cut and the stones are eye clean, then go for it, they''re bound to be gorgeous. I''d love them myself. However, I''d suggest you go and take a look at them and have your princess earrings with you so you can try both sets on and/or perhaps one in each ear and see which you prefer. Good luck and let us know what you choose. I''m excited for you.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Mara you made me laugh! "Is bigger always better" is probably a silly question for pricescope!!! Thanks for the input guys. I am telling DH that I have to take my princess cuts down there and compare them to these new round ones this morning.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like round studs better than square. I don''t really have an explanation as to why -- maybe because earlobes are round? I just think round stones look better as earrings. Wow, 2.5 ctw is big, but whether they are too big will depend on your personality. Also, I would only consider the trade if the rounds truly are well cut.

Taking your current studs in for direct comparison is the right thing to do. Take your camera too, and have someone take a pic of both on you. Post the pics here, and maybe we can help you decide.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I just upgraded to 2.2 ctw for my studs and I love them, so definitely go check out the big rounds! One word of advice: I wanted even bigger ones than these but my earlobes are small and my holes are low and slightly crooked (if I had know how important this would be later in life I would have had them professionally done rather than spending that evening in my bedroom 25 years ago with an ice cube and a safety pin...) so the bigger ones fell forward on my ears. If that''s the case on you too check out some bigger backs. As tacky as they are, I now use those backs with the clear plastic discs (cut down a bit) and it makes all the difference in the world. There are also bigger metal backs that you can get too, but I haven''t gotten around to hunting them down yet. Let us know what you decide!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
get the sparkly rounds sundial!
36.gif

for all of the reasons stated above
2.gif

let us know what you think after you compare.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
All I had to hear was "should I upgrade" and I didn''t need to hear more
9.gif
YES! They are fab!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I knew I came to the right place to discuss this!!! I have now been to the jewelers with my princess cut studs for comparison and all I can say is WOW! I always thought my princess cuts were pretty sparkly, but these ideal cut rounds took my breath away. I was worried that the size might be a bit much, I mean after all each one is as big as the center stone in my three stone ring, BUT I DON"T CARE. They are magnificent and I had to have them. Although they are pretty big and I am pretty short I do have large detached ear lobes and I thought they looked pretty darn good! Of course I ran off in such an excited state that I forgot my camera, but I will post ear shots after Christmas along with the previous post of my princess cut studs. Thanks for all your support! Where else but pricescope can I obsess about diamonds???

Edited to add: Oh and I love the martini settings! They are just as great as everyone here says. They sit up so snug on the ear with no drooping!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay!! they sound awesome sundial!
36.gif

i can''t wait to see them
30.gif

martini''s are the way to go!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another martini lover here. Congrats sundial, can''t wait to see these babies!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
where''s that drooling icon when you need it!!

so happy that the deal worked out for you, i can''t wait to see pictures!

vadim_s

Rough_Rock
Bigger is better, esp. when it comes to earrings!!! Where are those pics!!!!
18.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I finally got my new studs posted in Show Me The Ring, but here is a comparison with my old princess cut studs.

princessplat.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
The princess cut are 1.44 total carats, the round brilliant are 2.5 total carats.

studgraderb.jpg

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Sundial, the before''s and after''s are fabulous - shame you couldn''t keep both! I can''t believe how big your new round studs are, they look gorgeous. Congratulations!
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
They are PERFECT!!!
36.gif
I just think the round stones compliment earlobes so much better than squares.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhh those are fabulous!!! I''m so glad you did it...when I read your first post, I was like "YES!!! DOOOO IT!" LOL. Congratulations!!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I was afraid these round studs would look too big for everyday wear, but it is amazing how quickly I got used to the size. At my age (50) and with my large earlobes I think I can handle it. As much as I adored my princess studs, I have to agree that the round ones just seem better suited to the shape of the ear lobe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results