shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I think about having this amethyst recut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I''m new to the world of precision-cut gems, but I''m starting to appreciate the difference it can make in a stone. I have an amethyst in my personal collection with lovely color, and the proportions of the stone are good, but it''s dead. Just doesn''t sparkle.

Would a recut help this stone?

Do you think the color is nice enough to warrant a recut?

wigglewomptysnicker121408.jpg

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And finally, another outdoor shot. The color tones are cooler in the pictures than in real life.

wigglewomptysnicker121405.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not unless the color is fantastic. Just because recutting is expensive.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I personally think the cut is interesting as it is!! It is very different...and I like it!

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 9:32:29 PM
Author: RockHugger
I personally think the cut is interesting as it is!! It is very different...and I like it!

Really? Huh.
10.gif

*takes second look at stone*

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 9:50:54 PM
Author: DistinctionJewelry

Really? Huh.
10.gif

I like unique stones. I think it looks like your looking through a kaleidoscope under water. *shrug*

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi DJ, thanks for sharing some RL photos of your amethyst.
I''m no expert & just by referring to your photos, I think the gem looks too dark & I''m not sure if it''s worth a recut to bring out any nice sparkle.

The cut looks decent though it has a shallow crown & the facets aren''t that crisp/sharp... >Just my 2 cents<

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 10:03:03 PM
Author: blithesome71
Hi DJ, thanks for sharing some RL photos of your amethyst.

I''m no expert & just by referring to your photos, I think the gem looks too dark & I''m not sure if it''s worth a recut to bring out any nice sparkle.

The cut looks decent though it has a shallow crown & the facets aren''t that crisp/sharp... >Just my 2 cents<

Thanks so much for your advice. If a recut wouldn''t help that much, I''ll just enjoy it as it is. Only worth it if the result would be wonderful.

Rockhugger, I share your love of the unusual :D For sure.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 10:02:05 PM

Really? Huh.
10.gif

I like unique stones. I think it looks like your looking through a kaleidoscope under water. *shrug*

I am suddenly starting to develop more of an appreciation for the current cut :D
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
amethyst isn''t an expensive stone....buy another if you want precision cut.....this one is lovely just the way it is!

mz

ps don''t forget you''ll lose a lot of carat weight also if you recut and you may actually not be happy with that.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 10:26:40 PM

Date: 3/21/2010 10:02:05 PM

Really? Huh.
10.gif

I am suddenly starting to develop more of an appreciation for the current cut :D
30.gif
Well I am glad I could help you love your stone for the special little ammy it is!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the color zoning in the stone, it looks cool.

But recutting seems like it won''t be worth it with amethyst being so inexpensive to begin with.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, posted at a wrong topic

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/22/2010 2:01:16 AM
Author: dreamer_d
I like the color zoning in the stone, it looks cool.

But recutting seems like it won''t be worth it with amethyst being so inexpensive to begin with.
+1

I think the amethyst is too dark to show off the crisp facets of precsion cutting as well. For the price of recutting, you can get some nice citrine, amethyst or similar material from a precision cutter (and you will end up with 2 stones as well!). Gene had some nice, inexpensive pieces, if I remember correctly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple things are not in its favour for a recut:
1. Cutting already seems decent although it may not suit your needs/preference. I''m not sure why but the facets do not seem sharp or to stand out.
2. The tone is dark and a recut may not improve it much.
3. Quite inexpensive stone to begin with, which it''ll probably cost just as much to get a newer one.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m with the majority - enjoy this one as is, and buy a new, better cut amethyst if you desire :)

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love you guys :) Thanks for the help, I''m going to take your advice and not recut. I''ve yet to see a precision cut amy whose color I was in love with, when I do I''m sure I''ll buy it. :D

Cheers!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You could set it next to some cabochons to make it seem more sparkly, or just set it in something with a brushed (matte) finished metal - that usually makes stones look way sparklier than they really are - by an optical illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results