shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I teach my nieces about dental floss?

Should I teach my nieces about dental floss?

• No, parental pride is sacred. Oral health of these two rug rats pales in comparison.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, increasing the chance of these two little angels avoiding dentures is worth parent hatred.

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once again :roll: generalizations are generally true.

Exceptions to generalizations do not make the generalization untrue.

Flossing is a good thing for anyone with natural teeth.
It removes plaque that would build up under the gums where brushes can't reach.
Over decades the plaque converts to yuckies that result in the gums pulling away from the teeth so the teeth fall out.

I'll bet next someone is going to post, "Oh Yeah? Well if you don't floss right then it won't work" ... as if that's an argument that we should not bother encouraging people to floss. :roll:
Whatever.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1406574887|3722050 said:
momhappy|1406562512|3721952 said:
kenny|1406396683|3721037 said:
My SO's brother, his wife, and their daughters ages 3 and 5 are visiting.
One of the girls saw me use dental floss and asked what I was doing.
Nobody in their family uses floss, and all have dentures by age 40.
They say bad teeth just run in the family. Uhm ... :whistle:

Clearly educating the parents, who would educate their kids, is best.
After all, they'd have to buy the floss for the girls to use.
But wouldn't just bringing up the topic insult their parental pride?

It's none of my business if the parents floss but when the girls asked me what I was doing it really hit me in the gut.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize flossing is not a 100% guarantee of keeping all teeth 78 years, but it one step that increases the odds.

Some studies have shown that about 60% of tooth decay has a genetic component, so "bad teeth" certainly can run in the family (and there's not necessarily anything one can do to prevent it). Sure, proper dental hygiene helps (like brushing & flossing), but again, bad teeth can run in the family. As far as teaching the girls, I would have just answered their question and moved on. I wouldn't make a lesson out of it, but there's nothing wrong with a brief explanation of what, how, and why.

I guess the only way to know if their claim of, "Why bother flossing since dentures just run in this family" could only be detemined if some of them flossed all their lives.
Then compare the flossers and non-flossers.

Even if this 75-year long test proves that bad teeth do run in the family I'd respond with, "Then it's even more important that they floss so they may keep their teeth a bit longer."

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that good dental hygiene wasn't important - it most certainly is. My point was more about why this has to be a lesson in flossing, when a simple explanation is likely all you need? As I said before, you could explain the what, how, and why without risking irritating the parents by giving detailed instructions on how to floss. For example, to a 3 & 5 year-old I might respond, "It's dental floss and it helps you to clean between your teeth so that you don't get cavities." The girls may even become more curious and ask their parents - or you could mention something to the parents (in a casual manner) about how you were flossing and the girls asked about it (which may spark further dialogue).

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
A little off-topic, but this may help somebody. I always flossed religiously, but never got perfect check-ups with the dentist's verdict of "perfect pocket numbers and no sign of gum disease" until I used both ends of Doctor's Brush Picks AND floss along with brushing with Sonicare or regular toothbrush every night.

Flossing alone was not enough for me. Before the addition of the extra step in my nightly routine of adding those toothpicks, I got C+ instead of A+ check-ups...and needing root planing every 5 years or so. No more, things have been good for the 15 years since using the picks.

My husband has a small mouth with teeth very crowded together, he even had some pulled because the teeth couldn't fit. He cannot use floss, it just gets stuck, it can't even be pulled through. Those picks have saved him. He gets perfect check-ups, gums are healthy.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Pleasseee tell me this conversation is over!

kisswithkay

Rough_Rock
Trade
Are you a dentist or just play one on here? Quite obvious the benefits of proper dental. However people who may have sensitive gums may look into alternative ways such as ultra sonic .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results