shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I stop mentioning Octavias on RT?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've probably noticed when someone starts a thread looking for an asscher on Rocky Talk I mention the Octavia.
Should I stop doing this?

I feel a little guilty, as though I've turned into a loudmouth about the Octavia.
Maybe a few people wish I'd tone it down.
I want to be helpful to those not aware of this cut but not become annoying to the community.

I am seeking opinions and dialog on this.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say keep on mentioning it. That magnificent cut deserves to be considered by everyone who wants an Asscher or emerald cut stone. A lot of new posters probably wouldn't know about Octavia unless a PS regular mentions it.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely mention it if someone is new to the board and specifically asking about asschers. It is a gorgeous cut and you''re one of the few who has firsthand experience of how it performs in person. The Octavia is a marvel and people should be made aware of it, because it''s so new that probably most people haven''t heard of it.

That said, I wouldn''t bang on the drum more than once per thread, and only if it''s for the benefit of a newbie who hasn''t already heard of them.
2.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Keep mentioning them--it doesn''t hurt anyone to let people know of their options.

We are always encouraging posters to really think about cut, clarity, color becuase they don''t have the knowledge base, why is shape and style any different? How many people looking for cushions have been directed to look at GOG''s August Vintage line? It doesn''t matter if they like the style or not, what matters is that they have enough options to form an opinion of what they like the best.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t see any harm in *mentioning* such a lovely, unique "asscher-like" option ... but I''d keep your expectations about influencing anyone''s decision LOW. Octavias are so rare currently and most people shopping for an engagement ring aren''t going to wait around months for something to MAYBE become available in the size/specs they desire.

For awhile Royal Asschers were this holy grail kind of option & it left a lot of people frustrated because they couldn''t GET them. They had this IDEA that they were somehow superior but unable to track them down -- which left folks feeling like they were "settling" for generic asschers.

I just hope folks don''t come away feeling like they are "settling" for what they started out WANTING in the first place.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 1:08:48 PM
Author: Liane

That said, I wouldn't bang on the drum more than once per thread, and only if it's for the benefit of a newbie who hasn't already heard of them.
2.gif

Thank you, yes, agreed.
In the current thread over there I mentioned it only once, but the OP asked me for additional info so I answered.

After mentioning the Octavia if the OP doesn't show interest I'd never hound them.
I respect that others are not me.
Tastes vary and I frankly I am having 2nd thoughts about upgrading my asscher to an Octavia of similar size and value.
A good generic is still astonishingly captivating, even next to an Octavia.

I'm just glad I have one of each in my life.
Even though I won't get to wear the Octavia, I will get to see it every day.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I think it would be a disservice to NOT mention it. I saw the videos and was blown away. I think Storm (Karl) and DiaGem did a wonderful job. And as LONG time members of PS, I don''t see how it''s wrong to mention their work. It''s a diamond consumer site. No different then someone mentioning Leon for a halo setting. No guilt there Kenny.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
If I had acquired a stone as magnificent as yours, I''d hold press conferences about it daily. Why stop mentioning it? It''s a new cut and someone else might love it even more than an asscher. Plus you love it, and you should always stick with what you love.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 1:05:53 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I say keep on mentioning it. That magnificent cut deserves to be considered by everyone who wants an Asscher or emerald cut stone. A lot of new posters probably wouldn''t know about Octavia unless a PS regular mentions it.

Ditto!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
No way! People deserve to know about that awesome cut!!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I understand you don''t want to seem that you are pushing it. Although once someone sees one that is the end of discussion. I would always mention it. Tell a bit about why it is different and leave it. If the person wants to know more they will ask. How long do you guys think it will be before they are "available"? Are only top tier vendors going to carry them? The reason I ask is because once they really are able to get a hold of I think that the mention of it will be it. Octavia will be in every diamond purchasers vocabulary.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
No.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
That stone is GORGEOUS!!! Lucky you to get to look at it everyday:)

I''d definitely mention it, but would also highlight that it''s a new cut and it might be difficult to secure a stone in the size, budget, and color/clarity that an individual is looking for.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, you''ve got one gorgeous stone and I personally am not sick of hearing about it. In fact, I am offering to take it off your hands if you ever get sick of it.
emwink.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- If I had acquired a stone as magnificent as yours, I''d hold press conferences about it daily. Why stop mentioning it? It''s a new cut and someone else might love it even more than an asscher. Plus you love it, and you should always stick with what you love.---

You are perfectly fine, Ken. How very thoughtful, though. No, you are not being "too much". Absolutely. I love when I see it''s name in print and posts about it, too.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. You love it, you own one. People need to know about this exceptional cut.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, one of the things I like about you is your willingness to adapt to the mood of the forum, and alter how you post if you find out it''s getting on people''s nerves.

That said, I think you''re in a unique position right now. You''re the only one of us with an Octavia, and the only one that has spent significant time with it that doesn''t get into the murky waters of self-promotion. As the owner of an Octavia and an asscher, you''re in an even better position to explain the differences and the strengths of each. I think your posts on the subject are invaluable, and as long as you accept whatever reaction the OP has - whether they are interested or not - your posts are perfectly appropriate.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 5:10:17 PM
Author: princesss
Kenny, one of the things I like about you is your willingness to adapt to the mood of the forum, and alter how you post if you find out it's getting on people's nerves.

Aw, Hecks No!

If it bugged you guyz, I'd do it more.
31.gif

Just kidding.
25.gif

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
HELL NO!

9.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 1:32:35 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
If I had acquired a stone as magnificent as yours, I'd hold press conferences about it daily.
Haha, this was so hilarious I started laughing and choked on my baked potato.

I find your side-by-side comparison of your asscher and octavia to be extremely helpful I don't think you are harping on it at all--in fact, I have to admit that I find it refreshing that you're so smitten with your new stone.

My opinion is that anybody who comes to PS is looking for education and you're simply letting them know what is out there. Any potential buyer can then use that information to determine what is best for his/her timeframe/budget/preferences, etc.

Personally, I don''t mind it.. so I say keep it up!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
only as much as hearts on fire, tiffany, or any other brand should be quieted - its a beautiful stone and I believe that innovation can only help the diamond industry and if other cuts aren''t measuring up, well then isn''t what these superideal rounds have been going on for years about now?

Don''t quiet your opinion - it''s all positive so no harm done IMO.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t stop
And why can''t you wear it?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn''t bother me. I love to go look at the links you post.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 11:23:31 PM
Author: MissMina
And why can't you wear it?

It was a gift.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I understand now

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I mention ACA's as well as GOG's vintage cushions (the two stones I am partial too). I know I am not the only one.

I don't see how mentioning the Octavia is any different.

The key to giving advise is to know what the asker wants. For example, if someone is looking for a princess, I wouldn't suggest a round H&A.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
One of the purposes of PS is to let people share experiences with vendors, cuts etc.
I try only to post about stones / vendors I have personal experience of and that''s what you''re doing with the Octavia. Your enthusiasm about it speaks volumes for the stone and that could be really useful for someone who is considering an Octavia.

If people admire something, it''s helpful to have someone with hands on knowledge of it to comment. If people don''t like something, ditto. We all have our preferences and there''s nothing wrong with that! I don''t think there''s anything wrong with shouting about them, either.

Also, if people don''t want to read about this stone, they can skip the post easily enough. Carry on!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results