shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I sell it, recut it or give it as a gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a small light-blue sapphire that I once blue for a token price from a vendor going out of business. Bought because it was unheated and had an octahedral crystal inclusion. (On the side).
Now I have seen better and darker stones, I almost decided to sell it. But...it fluoresces pink.
How can I give it up? But it has a window, and a cut is awful. It is very bright and happy stone.
Deep enough. So...I may give it for recutting, maybe just clean the pavilion. Or is it too much work and money?

lightbluecey222.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more

lightceyblue555.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turns slightly violetish when the light is changing

lightceyblue666.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the last one

lightbluecey111.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...I definitely prefer much darker stones but this one is fun. Very blue, very bright. Unheated. Fluoresces. Just this window. I suppose you''ll tell me it is too much money but maybe someone has an idea...

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hehe you could always give it to me ;-).

I would try for a recut! I think the pink flour is cool, and I like how it turns pinkish in the sun!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like this one just the way it is. I would hate to see you lose or damage the octahedron inclusion in a recut. It has it''s own charm just as it is. I would gift it or keep it since spring is here and it can fluoresce on the widow sill.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 5:43:32 PM
Author: RockHugger

I would try for a recut! I think the pink flour is cool, and I like how it turns pinkish in the sun!!

I can give it to you only if you are a non-profit organization and I can claim deduction. But since you were complaining of making no profit on the ebay...I guess you are nonprofit!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 5:35:36 PM
Author:crasru

Deep enough. So...I may give it for recutting, maybe just clean the pavilion. Or is it too much work and money?

If the stone is deep enough and the crown is in good shape, then you may only need a partial recut on the pavilion in order to remove the window. Typically stones with pavilions which are very steep at the girdle, have very shallow areas around the culet, leading to the window you see. Recutting directly around the culet and leaving the angles as they are around the girdle will remove the window and give maximum depth and color retention. It''s not as perfectly symmetrical as a complete recut, but it''s pretty darn close and much less expensive than doing a full recut. I''d ask around with those cutters who do recuts and see what the prices look like before nixing the idea of improving this stone. You might be surprised at how little a touch up like this actually costs, (assuming your stone is cut appropriately...got any side shots ?).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 5:50:04 PM
Author: crasru

I can give it to you only if you are a non-profit organization and I can claim deduction. But since you were complaining of making no profit on the ebay...I guess you are nonprofit!
I am almost tempted to offer you the value of the deduction for it! Let''s see - what is your tax bracket?
3.gif

Personally, I wouldn''t try a recut, but Michael''s post is very encouraging. I do think a reset is in order, though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of...bad gypsy setting masking everything but I''ll try.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 11:26:21 PM
Sort of...bad gypsy setting masking everything but I''ll try.
Crasru - I wouldn''t call that a gypsy setting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am calling any setting with a closed back a "gypsy" setting. Am I wrong?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think it's lovely just as it is, and would consider a reset. But that's just me, if the stone doesen't make you happy, no reason to invest more money into it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
It appears to be a 4-prong set stone into which the setting may have a very enclosed gallery (I cannot tell because all your pictures show a top view only). The stone doesn’t look too bad and since it has an interesting inclusion, it may be better for you to sell it as it is.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HAHA well there ya go! I give gems to those in need of sparkle :razz:. When should I expect it? LOL

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Is the inclusion on the girdle or where exactly on the side is the inclusion? You might be able to recut the stone and still save the inclusion in question depending on the location of the inclusion and what the cutter has to cut in order to fix the window. Some windows just require recutting some facets on the last row of the pavilion while others require a complete recut.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 11:50:45 PM
I am calling any setting with a closed back a ''gypsy'' setting. Am I wrong?
A gypsy setting is a type of setting similar to a flush setting*, where the metal from the base is pushed up to the stone, holding it in place. It is quite uncommon to see a true gypsy setting, as it needs a heavy base, where a channel is cut, which allows the metal to hold the stone. It is used for cabs and I don''t think it is possible for facetted (unlike a flush setting).

As Chrono said, your setting uses prongs to hold the stone in place, even if the side gallery is closed.

* ok, this statement is a bit of a can of worms, since many people do use the terms interchangeably. I was taught to differenciate them, so I do
3.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 11:25:38 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

I am almost tempted to offer you the value of the deduction for it! Let''s see - what is your tax bracket?
3.gif

Personally, I wouldn''t try a recut, but Michael''s post is very encouraging. I do think a reset is in order, though.

Thank you all for participating and offering your advices. I thought of selling it - I was interested in it just because unheated sapphires are sort of rarity and because of fluorescence. But frankly, I almost never wear this ring so..

Lady Disdain, I am in the bracket where donation may not help (although it becomes more profitable to donate) but last year I did save a lot with all my financial contributions + donations.

I bet it will sell at a school or church auction. It has good-quality diamonds on the sides, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results