shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I exchange my G-colored Pear Shaped diamond for F?

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock
hey guys i know there's been this topic a million times.. but i'm new to this whole thing and i need a decision FAST as i'm planning to propose on the 9th of November next next weekend and still need the ring to be made.

i purchased this diamond here:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-200189
GIA-Graded, G color- excellent polish, VG symmety

I love how sparkly, shimmery this diamond is.. but I compared it to my mothers "F" colored EGL diamond.. and even with the looser grading from EGL.. i can't help but notice how much whiter it is.. (it's a classic round shaped diamond)

i read that pear shapes the color matters more than other shapes...... and I can only really afford maybe one color grade higher.. (i'm already over my budget).. does anyone with experience with pear shapes think I'll honestly be able to see the difference with the F-colored diamond? If so.. i was thinking of getting this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.96-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-176364

but i dont like how big the table is and i'm just stressed out because i really need to decide soon.. any help or suggestions and i would be utmost appreciated... i would hate to return this ring just to find out i can't even tell the darn difference.....and i can't help but see my diamond as yellow now, now that i've compared it to my mom's diamond.....

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Should I exchange my G-colored Pear Shaped diamond for F

I am no expert but I think a G is a nice color for a pear. I have a pear that is a G and I never notice any color. I have an I RB and I only notice a tiny tiny hint of color on a very rare occasion. I would not trade in the diamond you already have. I would rather have the slightly bigger G than a smaller F. Good luck whatever you decide.

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

thank you so much for your opinion.. you're making me feel better

edit: need other opinions pls, honest ones

thediamondshopper

Rough_Rock
Trade

Comparing to a round F isnt a fair comparison, as rounds have better light performance and mask color much better. Also Im assuming that the round is set as well which also makes a difference. If the pear isnt set yet, see if you can find a way to get it into a mock setting as it may show whiter once set. One thing I have learned after being in this business for a while is that most customers dont just forget about things they dislike in their diamond and it is better to get something you like rater than settling.

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

thediamondshopper said:
Comparing to a round F isnt a fair comparison, as rounds have better light performance and mask color much better. Also Im assuming that the round is set as well which also makes a difference. If the pear isnt set yet, see if you can find a way to get it into a mock setting as it may show whiter once set. One thing I have learned after being in this business for a while is that most customers dont just forget about things they dislike in their diamond and it is better to get something you like rater than settling.

it's currently held by a clasp, that's a shape of a ring.. so i guess in a way it's kinda like setting it?

ya.... i'm not happy now.. but i'll be even more unhappy if i get an F and it looks the same to me................. that's what i'm worried about. sigh decisions.. tyvm for your opinion though

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

cloudkicker3030|1383205986|3548013 said:
thediamondshopper said:

it's currently held by a clasp, that's a shape of a ring.. so i guess in a way it's kinda like setting it?

ya.... i'm not happy now.. but i'll be even more unhappy if i get an F and it looks the same to me................. that's what i'm worried about. sigh decisions.. tyvm for your opinion though

Set in a clasp is not the same thing as set, IMO. I would not trade in the stone for 1 grade better in color. 2 grades, I'd think about it. If you are already over budget, I would not spend the money.

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

liaerfbv said:
cloudkicker3030|1383205986|3548013 said:
thediamondshopper said:

Set in a clasp is not the same thing as set, IMO. I would not trade in the stone for 1 grade better in color. 2 grades, I'd think about it. If you are already over budget, I would not spend the money.

thanks for this liaerfbv. with everything you guys are saying.. i think i will stick with the diamond i currently have. thanks so much.

anymore opinions are always welcome too

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Not a pear expert here, but I think the cut on the G is partly the problem. I actually like the cut on the F you posted much better based on the videos. They face up at a similar size as well. I suggest ordering it and viewing it in person.

I have been looking at dozens of emerald cuts over the past month or so, and at one point I was comparing 2 similar sized GIA E colors in person. The better cut E looked noticeably less tinted face up than the other one.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

thbmok|1383238937|3548199 said:
Not a pear expert here, but I think the cut on the G is partly the problem. I actually like the cut on the F you posted much better based on the videos. They face up at a similar size as well. I suggest ordering it and viewing it in person.

I have been looking at dozens of emerald cuts over the past month or so, and at one point I was comparing 2 similar sized GIA E colors in person. The better cut E looked noticeably less tinted face up than the other one.

I agree, I like the look of the F colored stone better. I am definitely not an expert though...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The cut on the F looks better than the G (less "mush" under the table) and it even faces up almost the same size.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock

Another vote for the F. The difference in size is really not much and the F is a bit wider, so that will help make it look a bit larger on your finger. The better cut on the F may make this stone appear two shades whiter than the G. Your choice should make your eyes happy! :bigsmile:

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock

stargurl78|1383239258|3548202 said:
thbmok|1383238937|3548199 said:

I agree, I like the look of the F colored stone better. I am definitely not an expert though...

+1 I am also FAR from being an expert, but, IMHO, the F VS2 stone looks nicer overall (and not just based on the higher color). Are both of the stones similar in price? Also, am I incorrect in assuming from the stats that they appear quite similar in spread???

I noticed that the F VS2 weighs in at .96. IMO, that is a GREAT size. I am a huge "bang for your buck" kind of guy, and I imagine the fact that the .96 pear weighs in just a hair below the "magic" carat mark, this miniscule weight difference (as compared to the I.01 carat G SI2) could offer you significantly more value for your money. Again, I'm not an expert, but the magic just-above-a-carat mark could potentially account for the reason why some people here are viewing the cut on the G SI2 to be not as nice as the F VS2. The cutter of the G SI2 was probably making a smart (for him/her) business decision in having the end product of that stone weigh in just a miniscule amount above the carat mark.

In the same "bang for your buck" vein, it seems to me to be a quite notable discrepancy between the 2 pears as far clarity goes. I would, personally, feel much more "mind clean" going with a VS2 stone versus a SI2 stone. GIA is very reliable, and you are virtually guaranteed that a VS2 should be eye-clean (but the same cannot be said for a SI2, certainly). Just my two cents. Best of luck! :bigsmile:

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

wow thanks everyone. i think i will go for the F diamond now. thanks again so much

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

oh and the price of the G was $4150.. so even though i'm already over my budget.. what's $300 more dollars really..

if anyone thinks the G is better pls tell me! think i will purchase today

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock

cloudkicker3030|1383242143|3548231 said:
oh and the price of the G was $4150.. so even though i'm already over my budget.. what's $300 more dollars really..

IMHO, for $300, the 2 grade difference in clarity is, alone, worth the $300. Even if it is just for peace of mind (but I wonder if, to your eyes, does the G SI2 look eye clean?). Tack on top of that the nicer cut and the higher color of the F VS2, and I think it a no brainer. Again, just my personal opinion (certainly go with your gut and what feels best to you and your wallet :bigsmile: ).

Best of luck on the stone and the proposal!

P.S.: as I am also a noobie, I cannot seem to remember if James Allen offers a PS discount? I seem to remember that they do, but I could be wrong. If so, be sure to mention that during the purchase.

SandyHouston

Rough_Rock

I have a GIA H round and GIA G oval, and the round is way much whiter than oval both in sun light and indoor. I think it just because it is round, and that's why round is the most popular cut in diamond. Could you please tell us if the F pear is as white as your mom's EGL F round when you get it please? Because I happened to buy a EGL F oval which is way too yellow than my GIA G oval. I don't believe in EGL any more.
Thanks

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

hey guys im about to purchase this diamond but i'm seeing a sort of bow-tie effect.. what do you guys think about that?

so stressed outttttt =[

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Will JA do the ASET for you?

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

Cherokee1979|1383243060|3548244 said:

IMHO, for $300, the 2 grade difference in clarity is, alone, worth the $300. Even if it is just for peace of mind (but I wonder if, to your eyes, does the G SI2 look eye clean?). Tack on top of that the nicer cut and the higher color of the F VS2, and I think it a no brainer. Again, just my personal opinion (certainly go with your gut and what feels best to you and your wallet :bigsmile: ).

P.S.: as I am also a noobie, I cannot seem to remember if James Allen offers a PS discount? I seem to remember that they do, but I could be wrong. If so, be sure to mention that during the purchase.

thank you so much for this by the way, really appreciate it. about to make the purchase due to everyone's responses here.. but now i'm worried about the bow-tie effect unfortunately ugh

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1383248263|3548299 said:
Will JA do the ASET for you?

not sure what ASET is.. but i'm assuming where they can have a gemologist inspect it.. and yes they offer that free but unfortunately i have to order ASAP to get my diamond ready in time for when i want to propose so my time is cut short unfortunately =(

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

In my experience JA's videos exaggerate the amount of obstruction, so in my opinion the relatively minor bow tie in the video is unlikely to be noticeable in person.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock

cloudkicker3030|1383248305|3548302 said:
Cherokee1979|1383243060|3548244 said:

thank you so much for this by the way, really appreciate it. about to make the purchase due to everyone's responses here.. but now i'm worried about the bow-tie effect unfortunately ugh

Happy to help! :mrgreen:

Ditto with what Chrono had suggested... have you inquired with JA whether they can get you an ASET image of the F VS2? I am totally out of my depth when it comes to giving advice on pear or any other fancy cuts, but there are some really knowledgeable people here who can help. However, I do know that the ASET truly is an asset (terrible, terrible pun, I know ;-) ) when it comes to evaluating light performance on fancy cuts. The ASET could do much to either allay your fears as to the stone (or confirm them).

Looking forward to seeing what you decide! I was totally stressing as well when shopping for my wife's ER, so I totally understand. But you are putting in your due diligence in researching before committing to buy, which is great and should result with a really good outcome for you.

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

okay guys i went ahead with the purchase. still dont know what an ASET is lol but I don't have time for that unfortunately.. i will compare the 2 side by side and make a decision, thanks again so much! i'll come back here to post which one i picked!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Comparing the two side by side is the best way to go about it! Hope you'll be happier with the F!

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

SandyHouston|1383243262|3548248 said:
I have a GIA H round and GIA G oval, and the round is way much whiter than oval both in sun light and indoor. I think it just because it is round, and that's why round is the most popular cut in diamond. Could you please tell us if the F pear is as white as your mom's EGL F round when you get it please? Because I happened to buy a EGL F oval which is way too yellow than my GIA G oval. I don't believe in EGL any more.
Thanks

hey Sandy sorry for not responding... ya that's what i been reading too that the round shapes are just generally alot more whiter...

and to answer your question.. from what i've been seeing on the internet.. EGL seems to put it 2 grades higher than GIA so i think an EGL E is equivalent to a GIA G? i could be wrong though.. and i was reading that the EGL newyork and LA(?) are the only SEMI reliable ones.. the EGLs out of the country are supposed to be equivalent to crap.

but yes i made this post BECAUSE my mom's looked so much whiter... but i really do think it's cus of the shape also... i am in no way a diamond expert though and i'm a complete newb outside of my internet research.... so my eyes might not be able to look at it properly like the experts on here

and once again thank you everyone for your responses.. you guys have been of TREMENDOUS help.. really

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock

cloudkicker3030|1383249374|3548313 said:
okay guys i went ahead with the purchase. still dont know what an ASET is lol but I don't have time for that unfortunately.. i will compare the 2 side by side and make a decision, thanks again so much! i'll come back here to post which one i picked!

I'm sure that things will turn out great... and I think it is a good sign that a good number of the long-time & quite knowledgeable posters here commented that the cut looks really nice on the F VS2. It does look like a really nice stone, and very clean. I'll be looking forward to see what you select, and wish you the best in the proposal!

P.S.: I just saw your post regarding EGL (USA) color grading. I think that it is difficult to have a general rule regarding how many grades off (from GIA/AGSL) EGL will grade a stone. It might be two grades - then again, it might be off by even more (or less, if you are one of the lucky ones). I seem to remember some people having EGL stones that were over 5 color grades off!!

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

Cherokee1979 said:
cloudkicker3030|1383249374|3548313 said:

I'm sure that things will turn out great... and I think it is a good sign that a good number of the long-time & quite knowledgeable posters here commented that the cut looks really nice on the F VS2. It does look like a really nice stone, and very clean. I'll be looking forward to see what you select, and wish you the best in the proposal!

P.S.: I just saw your post regarding EGL (USA) color grading. I think that it is difficult to have a general rule regarding how many grades off (from GIA/AGSL) EGL will grade a stone. It might be two grades - then again, it might be off by even more (or less, if you are one of the lucky ones). I seem to remember some people having EGL stones that were over 5 color grades off!!

yes this site was a God-send... seriously......

oh wow that's a huge difference!!! geeze... ya i read nothing but bad things about EGL diamonds unfortunately............... but i know my mother and father bought it way back and they're not very computer savvy -.-

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Side-by-side is the way to go. Just TRUST your eyes!

cloudkicker3030

Rough_Rock

motownmama said:
Side-by-side is the way to go. Just TRUST your eyes!

unfortunately i guess my eyes suck though because a diamond on the store that was EGL graded E-Color, very good sym/very good polish looked better to me than the one i had.. but i just didn't want to go that route o_O i think i trust your guys opinions over mine even being able to see it in person LOL

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

Looking forward to the outcome!! We looked at so many pears before finding the perfect one, we based it on our eyes, not numbers -- that's the thing. You'll be staring at the STONE, not some sheet of paper, so definitely trust your eyes between the two. Comparing it to the Round Brilliant EGL E is definitely not apples to apples :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results