shape
carat
color
clarity

should i downgrade the color and upgrade clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
downgrade from F ----> G
upgrade clarity SI2 ----> SI1

i''ve seen one stone w/ SI2 and it''s somewhat not eyeclean...

since, im looking at this 1 stone, it''s SI1..so im thinking if i upgrade the clarity to SI1, the chance of me seeing the inclusion is slightly less.

i guess my question is should i risk buying SI1 w/o seeing it first?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a plan, an SI1 unseen could be a great choice, always ask the vendor with ANY diamond regarding eyecleanliness and inclusions just to be safe. The colour difference should be negligable. Also you could consider some more SI2 diamonds, they are not all created equal and there are many that are eyeclean, but if you are more comfortable with one grade up then fine. Also all inclusions are not created equal, you are less likely to see a small crystal off to the side than a carbon spot smack under the table for example, so also ask size, colour, number. position and visibllity, also type of inclusion. As always, make cut your most important C.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
Lorelei, that''s the thing....the stones that im comparing to are virtual..and james allen most likely have to order it and bring it in to look to see the inclusion.

im assuming it cost the vendor $30 to bring in the stones...i dont want to waste their money bringing something in and find out i dont want it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see your point......... I wonder if they could maybe email you copies of the reports, which might not be a problem and then go from there, I understand totally you don''t want to waste money calling in diamonds you might not want, I wouldn''t either - but you want to get the right one.....hmmmm ask them if they can get you more info on the cut quality without bringing in the diamonds, see which ones are best from that and then once you have your finalists see about the inclusions. If it was me, I would insist on more info for sure. Maybe someone else can chime in that can help?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I think color and clarity is a matter of preference. I personally go for color and lower clarity if it''s ''eye clean'' or the inclusion is something that is on the side rather than dead center. I can tell you I own a SI2 D color Marquise and I don''t see any of the inclusions unless I use the 10x loop and its graded EGL so not the best quality grading either. It''s all a matter of what you are able to live with. I''d keep looking until you find something that really stands out. It took me a few weeks to find what I was looking for. I just came everyday and put my specs in and finally what I was looking for popped up and now I''m in the process with Wink of seeing it. Another idea is to possibly give your specs to one of the vendors and let them do the leg work for you. It may take a little bit of time but I''d bet it will be worth the wait when you get everything you are searching for at the price you want to spend.
Good luck!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I bought an eye clean SI 2. Although I know where the inclusions are, I cannot find them without a loupe.
The vendor was able to call the dealer on a few stones before she had them sent to them for inspection. In most cases, the dealer will be honest and tell the vendor whether a particular stone is eye clean before they have it sen out. They depend upon vendors to buy stones from them and there is no point in taking a stone out of circulation and sending it out only to have it returned.
If you tell James Allen that you want an eye clean SI stone, they may be able to get this information before they send for it. Also, some SI 1 stones are not eye clean. It varies from stone to stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results