color
clarity

Should I continue this purchase?

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

I have this diamond on hold right now:
1.01ct H SI1
Depth-61.9%, Table-55.0%, Crown-34.5 deg, Pavillion 40.8 deg, HCA 1.3.
$6500

Real image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jTVoX2bDETQkxKcWRkMDVfcG8/edit?usp=sharing
ASET image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jTVoX2bDETWUN5aGJSOUM5SlE/edit?usp=sharing
Ideal-scope image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jTVoX2bDETSGZoMUJUNzVPQ2c/edit?usp=sharing

I am taking these images with a grain of salt. The vendor obviously has the tools to take these images but does not do it for all diamonds and I kind of rushed him to take them so I am afraid the ASET is not properly illuminated.

I cannot hold the stone at the vendor for too long so I am starting this new thread to make this decision fast. I can always return it if I do not like it in person.
Should I continue with the order and inspect it when I get it?
Anything raise obvious red-flags and I should cancel the order before it gets shipped?

Thank you so much for all your help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a very nice stone. Is it eye clean?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a nice choice given what can be seen in the photos, no obvious issues to me. The edge inclusions, have an appraiser make sure they are not a durability risk during your inspection time and if you're lucky prongable. Good luck! Hopefully the experts will chime in soon and see something I've missed. But looks good :wavey:

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the brave first reply!

When I first inquired about the diamond, the vendor responded with this: "Their expert gemmologist has analysed and assessed this diamond. They have informed us that this is a beautiful eye clean diamond with a clear white face up. Due to these attributes, this diamond sparkles with immense brilliance. This diamond offers great value for money."

The vendor is B2C Jewels and they are getting the diamond from another source of theirs.

I do not have the diamond yet, it is still at B2C waiting for my go-ahead to be shipped.
The GIA cert number is 2131465938. It has no marked inclusions under the table so should hopefully be eye-clean. And the magnified picture reflects some of that, I think I can can see the twinning wisps at the left corner.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
In the ASET-image does the green in the center worry anyone? Or the light pink under the table in as far as light leakage?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, the green is fine. Pink looks like it is photography.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Although the "reply from the gemologist" seems a bit canned, if their official word is that it's eye clean, that's a point in your favor should a return be necessary. I agree about the inclusion near the girdle, and hopefully a prong can be set near it.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Can I set prongs right on the twinning wisps or do they provide structural problems? What about the cavity on the other side of the twinning wisps? Can this be something that my appraiser will evaluate?

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
I'll let someone with more technical expertise chime in on that, but generally from what I understand, one tries to avoid having a prong directly on a girdle (or upper or lower girdle facet) inclusion, as it can stress the stone unnecessarily at a potentially weak point.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrilliantDummie|1403567858|3699547 said:
Can I set prongs right on the twinning wisps or do they provide structural problems? What about the cavity on the other side of the twinning wisps? Can this be something that my appraiser will evaluate?

Twinning wisps should not be any kind of durability issue with prongs or otherwise, there is a small chance a cavity could be but from what I understand this is rare in SI1, that you are having an appraiser evaluate the stone is perfect and they will be able to advise if they see anything of concern.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei,

I should be getting the diamond in today. Interestingly enough the insurance guys only need a detailed reciept in order to insure the jewelry while being set, final insurance including an appraisal is not necessary for setting coverage. Hopefully all goes well.

I figured the twinning wisps and the cavity are almost directly across from one another. If I cannot set the prongs directly on top of them, I can atleast offset the setting so the inclusions are right next to the prongs such that they do not catch your eye. In the end this thing will be insured either way. I would hate to spend another 3 months on diamond searching though if anything were to happen during setting :).

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Just got back form my appraiser. She actually estimated the diamond color and clarity as G VS2 when it is actually an H SI1. Everything checks out, she says it looks very good. Cavity is almost unnoticeable, she actually missed it the first time she looked at the stone under a microscope. Twinning wisps are visible and she recommended I set them directly under a prong, she said there should not be any problems with stone integrity. Symmetry is very good, ASET is very good. She showed me ASET examples from AGS and this one was very much like the AGS0 example (not drawing any conclusions or anything).

Looks like I got my stone! Thank you so much everyone! I will make sure to post up some pictures with the final setting on here as soon as I get it set!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Congrats, can't wait to see it! :appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrilliantDummie|1403905237|3702361 said:
Just got back form my appraiser. She actually estimated the diamond color and clarity as G VS2 when it is actually an H SI1. Everything checks out, she says it looks very good. Cavity is almost unnoticeable, she actually missed it the first time she looked at the stone under a microscope. Twinning wisps are visible and she recommended I set them directly under a prong, she said there should not be any problems with stone integrity. Symmetry is very good, ASET is very good. She showed me ASET examples from AGS and this one was very much like the AGS0 example (not drawing any conclusions or anything).

Looks like I got my stone! Thank you so much everyone! I will make sure to post up some pictures with the final setting on here as soon as I get it set!

Hooray! Many congratulations, we will eagerly await your pictures when you have them, how exciting!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results