shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping delays and refund policies

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Is anyone else worried about shipping delays and refund policies? I just ordered a diamond from a vendor and apparently he did not have it on site. He is going to set it so it is going to ship to him, not me. He has a good reputation and trust him to check it out before he sets it. (The report is 5 years old.). But Monday makes 14 days. I wonder how shipping delays might affect refunds. In my case if he saw some damage that happened after the 5 year old report I’m sure he would let me know and would work it out.

I've seen return policies vary on when they start the countdown: the day the order is placed, the day the item is shipped out, or the day when it's delivered. Does your vendor's return policy include this bit?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I've seen return policies vary on when they start the countdown: the day the order is placed, the day the item is shipped out, or the day when it's delivered. Does your vendor's return policy include this bit?

The way I read it, 14 days from delivery, but if I’m having it set, the clock starts running when the diamond is with him. So it’s a gamble if I have him set it. That’s CAD, building the ring, having it set, and then shipped to me. Then me getting it and having my local jeweler take a look.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way I read it, 14 days from delivery, but if I’m having it set, the clock starts running when the diamond is with him. So it’s a gamble if I have him set it. That’s CAD, building the ring, having it set, and then shipped to me. Then me getting it and having my local jeweler take a look.

That doesn't make sense to me. If HE takes longer than 14 days to set it then YOU can't return it? That just doesn't sound right.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the jeweler has no relationship with the diamond vendor I can understand the policy.

Hope it goes well for you

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the jeweler has no relationship with the diamond vendor I can understand the policy.

Hope it goes well for you

I still don't get it. The person making the ring obtained the diamond for her. So if he isn't happy with the stone, he would return it to the person he bought it from. Once he has it and is happy with it, saying that her return policy to him for the entire ring starts the day he receives the stone, still seems off to me. He controls how long it takes for the ring to be made. That could be 5 days or 20 and somewhere in between her ability to return the item lapses. I must be missing something here.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the OP is talking about the 14-day return period for the loose diamond -- which is being shipped directly to the ring vendor instead of to OP -- so OP apparently will not set eyes on the diamond until after the ring is completed and shipped to her -- which would be well past the 14-day return period for the diamond ...

If this is correct, OP, personally I would not structure a diamond/ring purchase that way because I always need to set eyes on the stone and examine it. If it is a keeper stone, then I decide on the setting and move forward with that aspect as a 2nd transaction.

It seems you deliberately set up your transaction this way ... I suggest being very clear with your vendor about your expectations for the stone, and be sure he also sends you photos/videos showing those aspects along with his own comments while still in the 14-day return period.

Good luck.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the OP is talking about the 14-day return period for the loose diamond -- which is being shipped directly to the ring vendor instead of to OP -- so OP apparently will not set eyes on the diamond until after the ring is completed and shipped to her -- which would be well past the 14-day return period for the diamond ...

If this is correct, OP, personally I would not structure a diamond/ring purchase that way because I always need to set eyes on the stone and examine it. If it is a keeper stone, then I decide on the setting and move forward with that aspect as a 2nd transaction.

It seems you deliberately set up your transaction this way ... I suggest being very clear with your vendor about your expectations for the stone, and be sure he also sends you photos/videos showing those aspects along with his own comments while still in the 14-day return period.

Good luck.

That makes more sense. Since she said she trusted him to check it out, I thought she meant she would rely on his judgment about whether to keep the diamond or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results