shape
carat
color
clarity

She likes this setting, but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

linvillegorge

Rough_Rock
I''ll try to keep this as short as possible, but I want to give as much info as possible in order to hopefully get the most informed responses possible.

My GF are both 23. We''ve been together now for 4 years. We''ve lived together for the past two and a half years. We''ve both graduated college and we''re doing fairly well financially. We will be moving within the next few months and I mean a big move, like across the country, and she has made it very clear she is not willing to embark on such a major change in her life without a more solid commitment (i.e. she wants a ring).

Now, this is no shock to me, as we have been talking about this for a couple years now. Both her parents and my parents want us to get married. I graduated in December ''04 and she graduated in May ''05, so the biggest reason she doesn''t have a ring is because we were getting ourselves grounded financially. Now, we have a good amount of money saved up ($10k+), but much of that will go into the big move and the rest we want to have as "safe" money.

I would rather wait a bit longer to buy the ring, until after we''ve moved and gotten settled, but she''ll hear none of it. She wants a ring like two years ago! So, I WILL be buying a ring in the coming months.

Basically, the absolute ceiling is $5k and I''d rather keep it closer to $4k. She has picked out this setting: http://www.novori.com/diamond-engagement-rings-12628R4-p.html

I really like the setting, but I question the value at that price. It''s over $1400 and it''s just a white gold setting with 0.27 ctw pave set diamonds. If it was platinum I could see it, but $1400 for this setting in white gold? The platinum version is well over $2k. Similar settings can be had elsewhere at $800ish. However, I do agree that this setting looks much more elegant, less bulky, and just in general "cleaner" than others. This is very important as my fiancee-to-be has very small, petite hands. To her, the setting is really more important than the diamond itself. But, I refuse to compromise on the diamond. To me, it must be at least G color (preferably F) with an ideal cut, with very good clarity and polish. In short, she wants the right setting and I want a good quality diamond. She wants a one carat diamond (what girl doesn''t), but I figure I can skimp a bit on the size here a go with a 0.8 - 0.9 ctw stone in order to cut back the price significantly. Like I said previously, she has VERY small, petite hands and judging by some of the rings she''s tried on, I simply think that a one carat stone looks a bit oversized on her hands and I truly think she''d find wearing one every day a bit of a hinderance.

So, here''s my questions:
Does anyone know anything about the "Novori" company and if they''ll "wheel and deal"?
Does anyone know of any similar settings to consider? I''ve already checked dirtcheapdiamonds, diamond.com, bluenile, uniondiamond.com, and a few others
Anything else I should be considering?

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
A jeweler near me carries this line, and I have seen a number of them in person and I really like them. The pave is very delicate, which would be good for your situation. I asked for a price on one of them, and though I can''t remember the exact quote, I remember it being VERY reasonable.

http://elmagil.com/jewelry-soulmates5.htm

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of novori so I can''t help you there. $1400 is a lot to spend on a setting when your whole budget is 5K (which I think is a nice budget). would you consider spending most of your budget on a killer stone possibly hitting that covetted 1 carat mark and putting the diamond in a solitaire and then getting the new setting down the road once you''ve moved etc? That way you can have the best of both worlds. What size finger does she have? I wear a 3 1/2 and had a 1.2 carat round for 5 years and I loved the size on my hand.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of Novori either. Just remember that pave work is usually more expensive because you are paying for labor...there is alot of pave in that ring, and even being WG that is prob why the price is so high...

Can you give Whiteflash a call? They can prob find you a really awesome stone and give you a quote on that type of setting in WG...many people here have used them and they do really nice work. Sounds like your gf wants that type of setting, so I am not sure she would want to go the solitaire route. I dont blame her- that setting is beautiful! I do agree with you though- if you go slightly smaller on the center (.80-.95) you can save quite a few bucks to go towards the setting...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at dirt cheap diamonds? They have some very pretty settings for reasonable prices.
For example, E7337 (slightly different setting with 20 points diamonds) is $950 for 14K and $1850 for platinum. They may charge a setting fee to set a diamond that''s not their''s but that pretty much true everywhere.

I don''t think she can have both that setting and a one carat diamond, even if bumped up budget to 5K.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 5:40:30 PM
Author: part gypsy
Have you looked at dirt cheap diamonds? They have some very pretty settings for reasonable prices.
For example, E7337 (slightly different setting with 20 points diamonds) is $950 for 14K and $1850 for platinum. They may charge a setting fee to set a diamond that''s not their''s but that pretty much true everywhere.

I don''t think she can have both that setting and a one carat diamond, even if bumped up budget to 5K.
Agreed, part gypsy!!! He is going have to go significantly smaller than 1 ct on the stone if he sticks with that setting...
Can you post a pic of the setting you were talking about from James Allen??

linvillegorge

Rough_Rock
^^^^
See that''s what I was thinking. I know she wants one carat, but she knows our budget is below $5k and the setting is very important to her. She HATES solitaires, so that''s not even an option. Unfortunately, she prefers the more intricate, delicate designs which basically equates to more $$$$! I''m trying to convince her that we could get a more preferable (for her) ring in our budget if we would go with a slightly smaller diamond. There''s a HUGE price jump when you get to that 1.0 ctw.

To her, the overall appearance of the ring is more important than a great diamond. But, I refuse to sacrifice and get an inferior one carat diamond. I would much rather get a quality 0.85 - 0.90 diamond and get her the ring she wants. In the end, I think we would both be happier that way.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
maybe you can suggest a setting with small .3pt stones going down each side (maybe 5 stones deep) or maybe a stone on either side of the center stone? Just trying to give you options. GL

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
can the setting be made in 14kt gold? Maybe that will save in the price

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 5:47:52 PM
Author: linvillegorge
^^^^
See that''s what I was thinking. I know she wants one carat, but she knows our budget is below $5k and the setting is very important to her. She HATES solitaires, so that''s not even an option. Unfortunately, she prefers the more intricate, delicate designs which basically equates to more $$$$! I''m trying to convince her that we could get a more preferable (for her) ring in our budget if we would go with a slightly smaller diamond. There''s a HUGE price jump when you get to that 1.0 ctw.

To her, the overall appearance of the ring is more important than a great diamond. But, I refuse to sacrifice and get an inferior one carat diamond. I would much rather get a quality 0.85 - 0.90 diamond and get her the ring she wants. In the end, I think we would both be happier that way.

Well, if that is the setting she wants, than she has to understand that the center is not going to be 1 ct tw. It is just not possible to have that setting and a 1 ct diamond with the specs you want for thar price...

What about something like this for center?
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948518.htm

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 4:51:16 PM
Author: linvillegorge
Like I said previously, she has VERY small, petite hands and judging by some of the rings she''s tried on, I simply think that a one carat stone looks a bit oversized on her hands and I truly think she''d find wearing one every day a bit of a hinderance.

My gf also has very petite hands, as well as almost all of my friends that are engaged. Several of them mentioned that when they were trying on 1ct rings it simply looked too big and gawdy for their little hands. Now, I''m not knocking on people who think 1ct looks awesome on them, but I''m just telling you what their own opinions were. That''s why I''m going with a ~.800ct myself.

I haven''t yet begun to think of settings that much, so I can''t help you there...I hope this info helped though...

Pixie

Rough_Rock
Just to give you a woman''s point of view, one with tiny hands, I have a 1.22 ct center stone (size 2.5 finger), and I do not think the stone is large at all. In fact, now that we''ve been married for a few years, I''m looking for an anniversary ring that''s quite a bit larger. I definitely think you should stick with what you''re comfortable with for the budget, but she can decide whether she wants the setting, a good quality center stone that''s a bit smaller, or maybe you can go down in color slightly to get the larger stone? These are all options that if she''s picky, I think you should let her decide since she''s going to be the one who wears the ring. If you go diamond shopping together, maybe you guys can find a stone that you can both agree on. There are always going to be compromises. That''s what my husband and I did. I started out wanting much higher color/size, but ended up going with a G/VS2 1.22 ct stone instead since I didn''t want to break the bank either. (I originally wanted at least 1.5 ct.) Good luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t heard of them before either but it is a very pretty setting but I can relate to her. I feel in love with my overly priced setting. I was willing to forgo a larger diamond for the setting of my dreams.

linvillegorge

Rough_Rock
^^^^
That''s pretty much how she feels. The setting is very important to her. I think I''ll be able to talk her into a compromise that will make us both happy. Try to get that setting or a very similar one, and then go with a good quality 0.85 - 0.90 stone.

jimhwu

Rough_Rock
you can try here... this is where I bought my wife''s e-ring from. We went with a tension setting, but Isaac (owner) has a ton of ring styles.... There is some split shank choices too, but they are more expensive in 18kt gold then the one you posted, however, they have more diamonds ctw (~.5 instead of ~.27). You can always call and work on the price a little too.

http://www.dscaasi.com/engagement/default.asp

here is a direct link to the category w/ side diamonds:

http://www.dscaasi.com/engagement/withDiamonds/default.asp

He can also custom make one for you maybe that is slightly budget friendlier with less diamond ctw or maybe 14kt gold also...

I''m sure whiteflash and other companies can probably custom make similar rings. If all else fails, just buy the one that she wants. Knowing my wife, I kind of knew she would love tension set rings, and as soon as she saw them in his store, she fell in love with it, so that''s what she got eventhough they cost way more than a normal traditional setting. Isaac worked with me on the setting and also found a great diamond that all fit within my final budget. Slightly smaller stone than what I intended due to the setting cost but wife is happy and that''s all that matters.

Good luck!
Jim

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
If she wants a 1 carat/non-solitaire ring...then get it for her! Skimp a little on the color...it''s the size that she wants and may be disappointed in getting a .80-.9 ct diamond. Go through an pricescope vendor like Whiteflash that has a good upgrade policy.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
If she is more concerned with size than color or clarity, then listen to her! She will be wearing it, so it''s more important for her to be completely thrilled with it. Good Luck!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Linville,

My FIs budget was around $4k too, and I could have picked either a 1ct in a plain setting, or a .80-.90 in a pave setting. Because the difference in sizes is so small, I decided I'd much rather have a gorgeous *ring* than a slightly larger diamond, and so I have a .85ct in a bead-set diamond setting. My entire ring sparkles, not just the center diamond! I think so many people are concerned with size, they forget that it's the ring they'll be wearing.

That being said, I think the split shank in WG at $1400 isn't a bad price. If it's the setting she wants, I think you should go for it.

This might be a good diamond to inquire about (if you do, ask if it's eye-clean!):

.80 E, SI2 Ideal $2952 with PS discount, 1.4 on the HCA (mine's a 1.4 as well and it's a beautiful performer!)

ETA: Did you see the split-shank at Union Diamond in 14k WG for $849? I'd post the link to it, but for some reason, the site is going INCREDIBLY slow and the page won't load. Go to engagement rings, and then to gold and diamonds.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Linvillegorge ~
emrose.gif

Here is a split shank ring she might like, it also looks like it has surprise diamonds on the side. It is from Ingwer ... and You can access their site from Good Old Gold's web site.

I think it is between $800-900 on the Ingwer site, but I think GOG might offer a discount if you order from them. I also went to Good Old Gold's site, and they have some pretty diamonds I would definately call Jonathan, or Tim about at GOG. I did a search for diamonds between $3000-$4200 and it pulled up some nice ones.

I will try to post some links to what I found.

Here is the Leo Ingwer split shank ring setting.

1GOODOLDGOLDINGWERSPLITSHANK.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I may be booed to Saturn by the PS hounds for saying this, but my brother had kind of a similar situation to you...his girlfriend had her heart set on a nice setting an a large diamond, but his law-school budget couldn''t afford both. So they talked about it honestly and openly, and had the jeweler set a lovely CZ in the size she wanted in the setting she wanted and NO ONE except me and the two of them ever knew. A year after he graduated law school and had banked some cash, he bought the "real" diamond, had it set inthe same setting and no one ever knew.

People used to ooooh and aaaah over that CZ! She just smiled and said, "Thank you, I love it too."

I think it was a great idea for them to get what they wanted in a realistic way. But ONLY because they discussed it openly and honestly and she knew that it was either a small stone now or a large stone later. No one was trying to pull a fast one...we hear about that now and then....
29.gif

Perhaps if this was something you were comfortable, you could get that setting she loves in platinum as a bonus and get the stone for your first anniversary, or even for the wedding!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there ... just to give you an idea of what the split shank settings look like in real pics ... this one is from PS on the Show me the ring thread. The center stone is what they call a flanders ... and this split shank ring was a custom made ring from Good Old Gold. This one has flat sides ... you might just call GOG up and ask them for a price quote on a split shank ring ... It wouldn''t hurt.

Anyway, I think the spit shank rings are gorgeous!

1split shank gog custom a.jpg

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another view ...

1split shank gog custom b.jpg

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
last ... the side view ...

1split shank gog custom c.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I disagree. I think she would be MORE disappointed if you choose a different setting than if you get her a smaller stone.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 11:41:12 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I disagree. I think she would be MORE disappointed if you choose a different setting than if you get her a smaller stone.
I agree with Tacori ... Usually, once a lady falls in love
emrose.gif
with a certain "look" ... it is the look she will want, no matter what.
emsmilep.gif

I think even if he does by the setting she likes (I personally would email Good old gold with that particular setting that she likes, and see if they can make it for a little less, they already have a jeweler there with many years of experience to do custom, and that way, when it is time for a wedding band, they can have the same person/jeweler make it to match ... just my .03 cents.) Anyway, even if he buys the other setting for $1,400.00 ... he can still get a very nice diamond between .80- 1.00 ct and still stay within his budget.

I don''t know about you ... but I had a guy want me to move with him out of state, and I said the exact same thing ... need a comitment before I uproot myself for you. I didn''t end up moving.
emsmileo.gif

Anyway, you have some many options ... I wish you the best and good luck with your journey
emrainbow.gif
to find your lovely lady a beautiful setting and diamond!

You can do it!
emhot.gif

Have a great day!
35.gif

midgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think she would be disappointed with a different setting. If you get her a well cut high quality .9 vs a 1.0 she couldn''t really tell
33.gif
-I mean not with a beautiful sparkle. She can''t tell the difference between 6.3 and 6.5. Your wallet will be able to tell the difference though.
23.gif

I agree with others and would say to call around and get a few quotes for a custom setting like this one. You may be able to put smaller diamonds in the split shank and you might be able to have less of them-but enough so it sparkles.

From person experience, I would MUCH MUCH rather have the setting of my dreams (SP shared pring 3/4 eternity!!) vs a .1 or .15 larger diamond. I mean she may be able to tell, but if she has small hands and the stone is well cut ppl might think it is a 1 carat stone anyways....

my $.02

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I just received my .92ct ideal cut h&a RB and it looks very big on my hand (ring size 5.25). I wanted a 1ct also but for the price range I was in I just couldn't find the ideal cut with h&a that I was looking for. My opinion is this...buy her the setting that she really wants and get as close to 1ct as you can that fits your budget. There isn't that much of a difference between a .9-1.0 on a ideal cut. It's not like she's going to go around comparing and really my diamond faces up as big as some mediocre cut 1cts so I wouldn't skimp on the cut just to hit the coveted 1ct mark. You'll be losing size where you can't see it and it won't face up as big as what it should anyway. Just my 2c ofcourse...good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results