shape
carat
color
clarity

She didn''t like the ring. Would you be offended? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 5:32:16 PM
Author: QueenMum
This one is much bigger and about the same price:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5848/
To my eyes, most I''s look very white.
And this VS2 could be 100% eye clean.
Just ask Jonathan and her!
The thing is, she''s keeping the setting, that was made for a stone with a 7.14 diameter. I don''t know how much bigger he can go (depth may play too), but I doubt it''s this. Not even sure about the 1.59. The G is almost the exact same diamter. Both stones look great.

joelly

Ideal_Rock

I would go with the G color, it scores better than your second choice. Look up the HCA score. May I suggest something else?

I would also check this one out: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5404/

Have fun choosing together. Good luck!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/9/2009 5:17:04 PM

Date: 5/9/2009 4:41:37 PM
Author: cdogstu99
I''m thinking probably a VS1 or VS2.

She pointed out these to me:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5806/

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4833/
Both are very nice!
I love the first one!
And G-VS1 should be safe.
Right, the first one should be totally clean AND FIT THE SETTING!

You have to remember that the head of the setting was custom made for your 7.1mm stone. So please don''t be looking at 1.5-1.7 ct. stones unless you want to pay for another setting!!!! Stick with stones in the 7.1-7.2mm range and you should be safe!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 5:41:55 PM
Author: joelly

I would go with the G color, it scores better than your second choice. Look up the HCA score. May I suggest something else?

I would also check this one out: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5404/

Have fun choosing together. Good luck!!
joelly, an IS and helium report, etc., over rule the HCA. It tends to ding stones with deeper numbers/angles. That stone is fine.
28.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 5:44:31 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

You have to remember that the head of the setting was custom made for your 7.1mm stone. So please don't be looking at 1.5-1.7 ct. stones unless you want to pay for another setting!!!! Stick with stones in the 7.1-7.2mm range and you should be safe!
That's what I been sayin.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/9/2009 5:47:50 PM
Author: Ellen

You have to remember that the head of the setting was custom made for your 7.1mm stone. So please don''t be looking at 1.5-1.7 ct. stones unless you want to pay for another setting!!!! Stick with stones in the 7.1-7.2mm range and you should be safe!
That''s what I been sayin.
2.gif
I noticed that, but I saw stones being posted that were TOO BIG even after that...so not everyone was reading the warning!

I hate to see another disaster.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 5:51:54 PM

Date: 5/9/2009 5:47:50 PM

That''s what I been sayin.
2.gif
I noticed that, but I saw stones being posted that were TOO BIG even after that...so not everyone was reading the warning!

I hate to see another disaster.
2.gif
I know, I was just agreeing with you, that apparently some weren''t paying attention.
5.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Glad it worked out! But I think you should change the title from She didnt like the ring...... to she didnt like the visible incusion!
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 5:17:04 PM

I''m thinking probably a VS1 or VS2.

Both are very nice!

I love the first one!

And G-VS1 should be safe.

I would hope Jon has advised them on this but I''m going to ditto Ellen and DS just in case!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you are both on the same page now! And bonus point to her for being willing to contribute to the budget if her tastes are beyond the current one.

Serious relationships are so full of compromise & ego & misunderstandings & hurt feelings etc ... must feel good to know that you can work through something so fraught with emotion & expectation & come to a solution that you both can feel good about! CONGRATS!!!

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I''m really glad the situation got worked out and that it''s smooth sailing from here
1.gif

limonade

Rough_Rock
Yay!
36.gif

Glad to hear it worked out for both of you in the end, and that you were able to meet in the middle. That''s a good sign. Good luck for the rest.

Now I have to make sure the stone I''m eying (an SI1) is clean. The problem is that the common definition of eye clean, as I heard it, is from a 10 inches distance or so, whereas I don''t think my GF will keep her eye further than a couple cm away from it for a while (something I can totally understand
1.gif
). In between lays that minefield...
Maybe I''ll just go ahead with Plan B and propose with that credit card.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
So glad that you two were able to talk through it and come to a very reasonable conclusion!! But really, how could she not after you gave her that fabulous Mark Morrell??
9.gif
30.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''m so happy things are working out for you guys, cdog!! It sounds lilke opening the lines of communication and having a heart to heart really worked. Now, it''s fun cuz you both can be involved in the process and be educated at the same time.

I would have to agree with the others about the setting issue - you are planning on keeping the setting, correct?

That first one - the "G" color looks great. I would stick there and not go much lower on color, considering the "clarity" issue, you don''t want to risk being unhappy on color, too. For me, I''m very comfortable in the G/H range...but I started to notice a little yellow/darkness in I/J, and I don''t consider myself *too* color sensitive. So, if I were you, I''d stick with "G" and above just to be on the safe side!
2.gif

pter

Rough_Rock
Congrats on working it out!
I''ve been lurking on Rockytalk trying to figure out how to prevent the same thing.
Hopefully, she''ll see and understand the process you went through alone the first time and be even more appreciative of your combined selection the second time
36.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it''s going to be a stellar ring. Please come back and show us!

setell

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear things went well with the two of you guys. It''s nice to buy the ring together! Can''t wait to see pics of the ring you guys pick!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wonderful news!

You are in great hands with Jon, and I know that the most important thing for GOG is that both of you are happy with your purchase-- which of course is all we care about as well. I agree with Ellen about the stone sizes. That setting was made around that first diamond, and the best fit would be that G.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Result!

great to hear, happy diamond shopping!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 1:43:45 PM
Yay! I'm so glad things are going better. Just remember to ask Jon exactly what diameter will fit in the setting. You won't be able to go a whole lot bigger, as the ring was custom made for this stone.
28.gif

And please come back and show us the ring!
I would like to emphasize that you need to listen to Ellen's words of wisdom. Please make sure your lady understands you cannot get a bigger diamond to fit this custom made setting. She will have a stunning ring, if you can choose a cleaner stone--VS2 or VS1 should do it--and put this all in the past. Kudos on communicating with each other and moving on with your engagement
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad this situation was resolved and has a happy ending. Happy diamond searching (again)!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 5:46:46 PM
joelly, an IS and helium report, etc., over rule the HCA. It tends to ding stones with deeper numbers/angles. That stone is fine.
28.gif
Sorry, my bad. Where can I learn to read the IS and helium report, etc?

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
WHAAAT?? No more drama?? Aww...this sux... j/k
2.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for starting the new thread and sharing your good news! It would have been so easy for you to walk away and we never would have known how you felt about our posts as well as how you both resolved the issues at hand.

Best of all, I was happy to read about the responsibility, communication, and compromising you and your intended have shared. Sounds like you are much more in touch with one another. Kudos to both of you. You are off to a wonderful, fresh start in your new life together.

Now, on to the FUN part... finding the PERFECT diamond for BOTH of you... Whoopie!

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
YAY!!! It''s heart-breaking when you put in so much efforts and didn''t get the result you wanted. It applies to both you and your FI (you, on your research and her, on her hint dropping efforts). It''s so so so good to know that you guys had a heart-to-heart talk and cleared the air. It is a relief. It can be fun to search for the stone together too.

If you guys are keeping the setting, definitely heed Ellen''s advice on keeping the stone size similar. Jon would be able to advise on that. Also, Please DO NOT drop the color unless she OPTED for it. Color can be quite a big thing for some Asians (like me
3.gif
especially for ER).

PLEASE do come back to show us the new stone/ring!

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad things worked out. But I find your comment about her being asian offensive. you should retract it.

"Hey folks, my waitress miscalculated my bill at an Irish pub and tried to charge me double! Watch out for Irish women!"

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I steered clear of the original thread, but had been following it. I''m glad you were able to come to a solution! And I think that G is stellar!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad you are moving forward together.

Weddings can cause normally sane and rational people to go kinda nutso. I remember I went crazy over our wedding invites having the wrong color font, and I am the least Bridezilla person that our friends know.

I''d actually recommend guys involving their girlfriends in the picking of a ring from the start, as long as folks can be upfront about price ranges and reasonable expectations.

I got to design my own Mark Morrell ring, and had a fantastic time. Btw, your gf should know that MWM insists on absolute perfection when it comes to the luster and polish of his rings, which is why I picked him. No other rings I saw had that fluid smoothness.

Maybe in the future you guys can look back on this and laugh - and think about it this way - you got 95% of it right, it was just that 5%...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah I''m so glad things worked out for both of you. And that you are able to work so well together.

Asian or not, many women would NOT be happy with a visible inclusion in their ering. So guys take note of this!!

CPF0RY0U

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/9/2009 3:48:43 PM

Author: Dancing Fire

are you looking at VVS stones ?

I'm thinking probably a VS1 or VS2.

Wowzers!

It appears that the ending will eventually be happy, but did anyone else notice that the new prospective diamonds she were pointing out to him are probably at least 40% more expensive than the previous diamond.

The previous diamond was a 1.35 F SI2.

The 1.59 H VS2 #4833 is at least 50% more expensive.
The 1.38 G VS1 #5806 is at least 40% more expensive.

I would have expected seeing a smaller 1.2x F VS2 as a candidate. To me, I see it as unreasonable and pushing his budget. I really do hope that she appreciates the big upgrade.

I'm also glad to know that GoG is willing to work with you guys on it.

What did you guys ultimately get?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results