shape
carat
color
clarity

shared prong vs. channel set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m planning out an eternity band for my right hand. Has anyone had problems with their diamonds in a shared prong ring chipping or falling out? I''m wondering, for long-term durability, if a channel set would be a better choice.

These styles are very different looks and I DO like the shared prong better, but this channel set with millgrain caught my eye so I''m thinking that it may be a safer choice for me IF there''s a chance the shared prong may be a problem.

Thanks!

facetssharedprng.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi Michelle- are you still planning on going with Signed Pieces for your RHR? I thought I had last read that you were put off by the prices and were thinking about going with Pearlman''s

I have both styles of rings- channel set (half eternity) for my wedding ring and shared prong for a RHR. I alternate the shared prong with another ring but usually wear it most of the time. I do take it off when I get home. To be honest, even if my channel set were full eternity, I would feel more comfortable wearing it on a daily basis as opposed to the shared prong. But I also do take the subway to work, where I''m constantly holding on to rails and whatnot, so I definitely am more careful with the shared prong than the channel. The channel has taken some pretty good whacks (I''ve actually chipped the platinum several times) but haven''t had any stability issues.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame chipped a stone in here 3 point shared prong eternity band..apparently it''s one of the potential downfalls of the shared prong bands.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I hate to say this, because sure enough tomorrow every stone will drop out
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
-- but I haven''t had any trouble at ALL with my shared-prong rings. I know some people have... but I wear mine EVERY DAY, and haven''t had a lick of trouble. I like the milgrained channel set style very much... but IMHO, nothing compares to the look of the shared prong!
30.gif

Thebaubles3a.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
The shared prong you are considering does not appear to have the problems associated with many shared prong settings. In other words, the diamonds do not extend beyond the metal and the sides are flat. I wouldn''t be concerned about that one. The only time I see a shared prong being a problem is if you are going to wear 2 or more on the same finger. Then, assuming they are typical shared prong bands with diamond overhang, you might have a problem with chipped or scratched girdles. I say go for the one you like most.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go with what you like most. I do have a shared prong eternity band from signed pieces and have had it almost a year now and haven''t had any problems, knock on wood.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, go with what you love the most.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 8:19:45 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire
Hi Michelle- are you still planning on going with Signed Pieces for your RHR?
Hi, yes, I''m going with Signed Pieces. I sent them an email and they can make me pretty close to what I''m wanting in white gold for a good price. A bit more than I planned, but not enough more that my husband is complaining.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool, can''t wait for the pics!!!!
1.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Michelle! Maybe I''m blind but which one did you choose?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 9:22:46 PM
Author: Jelly
Congrats Michelle! Maybe I''m blind but which one did you choose?
I still haven''t decided. SP gave me a quote for the shared prong, but from looking at the site, I think the channel set will cost about the same so tomorrow I''m going to try on some of both styles and then place my order.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Make sure to let us know what you decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results