shape
carat
color
clarity

Shared prong setting with cathedral mount?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JoshM_DC

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I spoke with WhiteFlash about the aramis ring. Among other things, I learned it''s a channel set shared prong. I think I''m going to end up going with something very similar.

So now I''m ready to begin looking at diamonds.

My rough parameters are:

1.45 - 1.55 ct
H - J
VS2-SI2
and in general, a little less depth and a little more spread.

WhiteFlash is going to send me some suggestions that meet those parameters. Once I have those, I''ll post them here. But, how do i go about choosing a stone sight unseen? (of course, I''m not sure seeing the stones would be terribly helpful anyway).

I have a beginners'' understanding of the 4Cs, but it seems there''s a range of quality even among those. That is, a J / SI2 may, for whatever reason (likely the cut percentages), look better than a H / VS2. Without seeing it, is there a way for me to tell?

Thanks

Josh

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
once you get the info on the stone you can run the #''s throught the HCA, found under the tools section here. the score will help to give you pretty good idea of how it will perform. Most people prefer stones that score in the 1-2 range.

JoshM_DC

Rough_Rock
I've gotten some stones (the metrics) from one of the jewelers. Of the 4, only two have the crown and pavilion angles for the HCA tool.

DIAMOND 1:
Certification: GIA
Carat: 1.55 ct
Color: K
Clarity: Si2
Cut: Signature Ideal
Depth: 60.4
Table: 56
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Polsih: VG
Symmetry: EX
Flourescence: None
Price: $5725

DIAMOND 2: (HCA score: 1.1)
Carat: 1.58 ct
Color: J
Clarity: Si1
Cut: Very Good
Depth: 59.8%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Price: $7675

DIAMOND 5:
Carat: 1.66 ct
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Signature Ideal
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 56
Price: $8325

DIAMOND 6: (HCA score 1.5)
Carat: 1.34 ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Very Good
Depth: 61.0%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle: Very Thin to Thin
Polsih: EX
Price: $8140

My price range is around 7-8k for the stone, given that the setting looks to be 15-1500, so these are all acceptable price-wise.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these stones?

#2 and 6 both received good HCA scores with light return, fire, scintillation and spread scored as "excellent", even though both have GIA rated v. good cuts (and both are eye clean according to the jeweler).

Thanks

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results