shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your favorite quotes

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one is perfect, however, some are more perfect than most.

DK :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I forgot this one as I say it almost daily to reassure myself lol

"Perfect is the enemy of good enough"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 7.56.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 8.11.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 8.12.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 8.13.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 8.14.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 8.15.23 AM.png

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This is my thread.

I have books upon books upon books dedicated to quotes. I have quotes saved up all over the place, old journals, my computer, my phone... I can share quotes all night.

Okay, here we go.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
(Often credited to Einstein, but no evidence of being his.)

"
Loneliness is the human condition. Cultivate it. The way it tunnels into you allows your soul room to grow. Never expect to outgrow loneliness. Never hope to find people who will understand you, someone to fill that space. An intelligent, sensitive person is the exception, the very great exception. If you expect to find people who will understand you, you will grow murderous with disappointment. The best you'll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way.”
Janet Fitch, White Oleander

"As light causes suffering to the sick eyes, so happiness causes pain to the wounded soul. For both the sick eyes and the wounded souls there is no better remedy than darkness."
Reşat Nuri Güntekin, The Wren
(I haven't read this one in English, so the quote is my own translation, not the official one.)

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
(Often credited to John Lennon, but no real evidence.)

"Nothing great is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a fig. If you tell me that you desire a fig. I answer you that there must be time. Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen."
Epictetus

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

Okay, I'm gonna stop now so that I don't actually spend the whole night copying quotes. I might be back though.

...this sounded like a threat. I promise it wasn't.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. S. Hawking
Action speaks louder than words, but not nearly as often. M. Twain
The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions. G. Carlin

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 6.30.44 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.24.54 AM.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
1819557-Eric-Frank-Russell-Quote-May-you-live-in-interesting-times-and.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us not be too particular. It is better to have old second–hand diamonds than none at all.

Mark Twain

I prefer second hand (as long as they are antique old cut) diamonds! :love:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ikr? If someone were to wish me to live in interesting times I'd be convinced they hate me. :lol: There's a reason people started thinking of this saying as a curse...

That's exactly why I love it.
It's perfect in that it takes a minute to sink in.
The little used end to it:
'And may the gods give you everything you ask for'

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

The attribution to Seneca is bogus.

This seems to be a paraphrase of the enlightenment historian Edward Gibbon in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776): The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord. Note that Gibbon gives this as his own opinion, not as a quote.

As best I can tell, there is no evidence that Seneca said it. See the discussion in this Wikipedia talk page:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Seneca_the_Younger

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The attribution to Seneca is bogus.

This seems to be a paraphrase of the enlightenment historian Edward Gibbon in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776): The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord. Note that Gibbon gives this as his own opinion, not as a quote.

As best I can tell, there is no evidence that Seneca said it. See the discussion in this Wikipedia talk page:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Seneca_the_Younger

I love this quote whoever said it :)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I love this quote whoever said it :)

Yes, it's a great line. Apart from the thought itself, I love the polished Latinate phrasing, more Ciceronian than Cicero himself, and the dry outsider's tone. You can appreciate these things better when the quote is correctly attributed to Gibbon (an eighteenth-century enlightenment historian) than when it's wrongly attributed to an ancient Roman.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's a great line. Apart from the thought itself, I love the polished Latinate phrasing, more Ciceronian than Cicero himself, and the dry outsider's tone. You can appreciate these things better when the quote is correctly attributed to Gibbon (an eighteenth-century enlightenment historian) than when it's wrongly attributed to an ancient Roman.

Thank you for sharing. It’s interesting how many quotes are misattributed

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Some of my favorites, especially this last year during my healing journey:

Unconditional love does not mean unconditional tolerance.

If it is out of your control, it deserves freedom from your mind too.

Accept people as they are, but place people where they belong.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away today’s peace.

And finally:

Your direction is more important than your speed.

<3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.38.43 AM.png

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
"This too shall pass"

Don't know if anyone knows who specifically said this, it's an old adage. But it's lovely in simplicity and usually helps me in hard times.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 7.30.47 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And along a similar thought
This one really hurts

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 7.32.12 AM.png

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

Another bogus attribution. Quote Investigator:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/01/14/hottest/

Dante (Inferno, canto 3) did indeed describe a place for such people. But he explicitly said that it was not in hell, rather, on the way to hell - it's sometimes called the 'vestibule'. It was not hot. (For that matter, the worst places in Dante's hell were not hot either.) Rather, its inhabitants eternally chased an ever-moving banner, pursued by biting insects. Dante's description inspired T. S. Eliot's poem The Hollow Men.

You can endorse the thought without misrepresenting Dante.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another bogus attribution. Quote Investigator:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/01/14/hottest/

Dante (Inferno, canto 3) did indeed describe a place for such people. But he explicitly said that it was not in hell, rather, on the way to hell - it's sometimes called the 'vestibule'. It was not hot. (For that matter, the worst places in Dante's hell were not hot either.) Rather, its inhabitants eternally chased an ever-moving banner, pursued by biting insects. Dante's description inspired T. S. Eliot's poem The Hollow Men.

You can endorse the thought without misrepresenting Dante.

I wasn’t purposefully misrepresenting Dante:)

And the quote is powerful. Especially given the current events. Perhaps one of my favorites at the moment.

TY as always for your dedication in crediting the proper people.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Disclaimer: I mean this in an entirely positive way.

@Starstruck8 I am this close to start posting intentionally miscredited lesser and lesser known quotes just to test how many you can catch. :lol:

Oh, that reminds me! Another reason I love the quote I posted is everybody believes it to be some ancient Chinese proverb/curse.

It's from an English sci-fi author's short story from the 50's:lol:

Makes it doubly awesome in my book.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear your path.

And for a little levity:
I believe in holding grudges. I’ll heal in hell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results