shape
carat
color
clarity

Shame on you Macy''s !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 5:27:10 PM
Author: pennquaker09

Date: 12/4/2008 3:49:14 PM
Author: bebe

Date: 12/3/2008 11:13:20 PM

Author: diamondfan

What kills me is in a bad economy they still don''t seem to give a rat''s butt about providing good service. It is ludicrous to me that someone should have to work so hard to get something done or to buy something. Also, in many stores, no one ever answers the phone and it just rings and rings endlessly. Then these stores wonder why customers are not clamoring to spend money there.
In my Macy''s they don''t answer the phone because they are too busy chit chatting amongst themselves. Just yesterday I was making a return at the return/customer service window of Kohls. The clerk was on her cell, an obvious personal call. I stood there until she decided her job was more important than her phone call!

Another gripe of mine, is the lack of manners displayed by sales associates to customers. Especially when you have to move out of their way!! I gringe when I feel forced to get out

of their way. Why don''t they go around? This happened to me yesterday in Toys R Us, numerous times. It happens often in Target, Wal-Mart and even the grocery stores.

Back to my original post. The Mgr. of Macy''s emailed me and asked me to call. Guess what - it just rings and then a prompt to leave a voicemail. Geez! But I will not give up.

I''m thankful that I worked in retail and I can say sometimes. customers think they are in the right, and they are so totally wrong. Even when I go out shopping, I notice way more rude customers than sales associates.
pennquaker, I agree with you too. There are always 2 sides to a story. I witnessed a very ugly, rude customer at Wal-Mart a few weeks back. I felt sorry for
the clerk. In fact when it was finally my turn to check out, she apologized for the wait and I told her it was ok, I understood.

In my situation with Macy''s, I will not be ugly, nor pushy. In this case, I am right. There have been times I''ve questioned a clerk about a price and been wrong, again, 2 sides to the story
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 7:52:05 PM
Author: thing2of2

Yeah, my friend applied there but she was in school and they wanted her to work a lot of hours so it didn''t really work for her schedule, either. They basically want you to be available always, which as a former clothing store manager I understand, but as an employee...not so much! And yep, working retail (especially at the mall) really does suck! So you''re not missing much!
3.gif

P.S. I think their discount is only 25%...which doesn''t impress me much! Most stores give you at least 30-40% off! And at one store I worked at we got 65% off! Now that''s an employee discount!
Where did you get 65% off? That sure is a discount. Maybe I''ll apply where ever that is!

For Nordstrom, the amount of discount you get depends upon what position you hold. Managers get more - around 30-33% and buyers around 40%. I can''t remember the exact details, however, even with the disounts, you''re basically working for clothes! lol

Musey - I do pay off my credit cards on time, but the deal is I don''t even carry dept. store cards in my wallet. I keep them in my office because I''m worried if I loose my wallet, someone will gain access to all my cards, so I never remember to grab one of them when I hit the mall.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with everyone that dislikes Macy''s, their CS is horrid compared to the other big department stores. Anything I CAN buy at Nordstrom''s I do. They are really the best.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Through last Christmas, Mother''s Day and my birthday I had accumulated several Macy''s gift cards. I found, however, that I could not use them and get the coupon discounts as they only apply when using the Macy''s charge card. I said to one sales clerk that I didn''t understand as they were as good as cash and there should be some provision for me to get the coupon discount when paying with cash. Course, they want you to charge everything in the hopes that you won''t pay the bill in full and they will get back some of the discount you received on the coupon. The clerk very rudely told me to go online to complain.
29.gif

I ended up pooling them together to get a really nice set of sheets that were on sale - but I did not get the discount. I have told everyone in my family - no more Macy''s gift cards!

Our Macy''s used to be Hecht''s - at least their coupons were valid no matter how you paid. I will always miss Hecht''s!

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I am another Macy''s hater! The disorganzation of their store gives me a headache when I go in. But, I absolutely love Nordstrom! Especially shopping online on their website. Several times I bough items online and then it later went on sale and I just called CS and they adjusted the price right then and there and credited my card the difference!
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 11:11:37 PM
Author: MC
Date: 12/4/2008 7:52:05 PM

Yeah, my friend applied there but she was in school and they wanted her to work a lot of hours so it didn''t really work for her schedule, either. They basically want you to be available always, which as a former clothing store manager I understand, but as an employee...not so much! And yep, working retail (especially at the mall) really does suck! So you''re not missing much!
3.gif

P.S. I think their discount is only 25%...which doesn''t impress me much! Most stores give you at least 30-40% off! And at one store I worked at we got 65% off! Now that''s an employee discount!
Where did you get 65% off? That sure is a discount. Maybe I''ll apply where ever that is!

For Nordstrom, the amount of discount you get depends upon what position you hold. Managers get more - around 30-33% and buyers around 40%. I can''t remember the exact details, however, even with the disounts, you''re basically working for clothes! lol

Musey - I do pay off my credit cards on time, but the deal is I don''t even carry dept. store cards in my wallet. I keep them in my office because I''m worried if I loose my wallet, someone will gain access to all my cards, so I never remember to grab one of them when I hit the mall.

Sorry MC-just seeing this! The store I worked at with the 65% off actually went out of business...wonder if that''s why?! Hahaha! It was called Sigrid Olsen and was a Liz Claiborne company. Actually, when the store first opened we got 40% off, but the clothing was so expensive that even with 40% off the clothing was still pricey. (I''m talking $89 PLAIN T-SHIRTS! Seriously! I mean I will drop some $ on clothes but I will not buy a $90 plain old lady t-shirt.) They wanted us to wear their clothes, so they upped the discount to 65% off. Now that made a difference!

The clothing was targeted to older women so I never really bought anything...but I did buy my mom stuff all the time! She has the cutest clothes she''s ever had because I worked at that store! She was so depressed when it closed...she came and bought so much stuff before it closed! I don''t know where she''ll get her clothes now...there''s no going back after a discount like that!

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 3:07:58 PM
Date: 12/1/2008 12:16:26 PM

Date: 11/29/2008 5:49:59 PM

Author: Haven

I hate Macy's for many reasons, and this is one of them.

I refuse to shop there. I had a horrible experience with them last spring, and that was the last time I bought anything there.

Nordstrom's, however, if they sell it, I'm buying it there. Best. Store. Ever.
What happened with your Macy's experience?

I shop at Nordstrom a lot and recently applied there and given a phone interview and was appauled by the questions asked. They pretend to be all about the customers and customer service, but the questions the HR lady asked were all about how I'd push items on customers and she wanted examples of how I'd approach those entering my dept. and how I'd lure them in. It was horrifying and seeing their perspective and greed had lowered my opinion of them. I guess all retailers are that way
7.gif
Nordstrom isn't any better than the rest of them.

Well, they are in the business of selling things, MC!
2.gif
Of course they want to know how a salesperson will make sales! If they didn't have good salespeople they wouldn't be in business!

I think half the reason their customer service is so great is that their salespeople work on commission. It doesn't bother me because they've always bent over backwards to make me happy!

Exactly Thing2of2! I worked at Nordstrom for 5 years in college. Nordstrom employees work on commission and it is like having your own business and they supply you with the merchandise. Basically, you are in control of your own pay. You have to be able to be a good salesperson and create personal clients. I never once attended a meeting where I was asked to "push" items on people. I was taught how to provide great customer service so that people would buy, such as observing what the customer was wearing to get an idea of their personal style, asking them what they were looking for, and then bringing out items I thought they would like. I also was taught how to fit items properly. I would act like a shopping buddy to the customer and helped them make their decision. It really is more like having a personal shopper if you get a salesperson who takes pride in fashion. Macy's employees don't make commission unless the work in furniture, cosmetics or shoes. Therefore, they don't need to go above and beyond because their paycheck will be the same no matter what.

Also, not everyone is always going to feel their shopping experience is to their standards. If a store upsets you just ask for the manager and then if you can't be helped you can always ask for the store manager or district manager. Anyway, back to the topic at hand...Bebe, if they manager doesn't get back to you quickly you should try to go into the store and bring them a picture of the coat from Nordstrom. Who knows?...it may have been a mistake like someone said. If it was marked up then ask them to price match it to Nordstrom. Otherwise I would return the item and buy it at Nordstrom. It doesn't make any sense that the prices are that much different since there is a suggested retail price.

Let me also add that retail does suck. And I'm happy not to be working in retail more due to rude customers than big business as Pennquaker09 said.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 7:34:53 AM
Author: Carbonlove

Date: 12/4/2008 3:07:58 PM

I hate Macy''s for many reasons, and this is one of them.

I refuse to shop there. I had a horrible experience with them last spring, and that was the last time I bought anything there.

Nordstrom''s, however, if they sell it, I''m buying it there. Best. Store. Ever.
What happened with your Macy''s experience?

I shop at Nordstrom a lot and recently applied there and given a phone interview and was appauled by the questions asked. They pretend to be all about the customers and customer service, but the questions the HR lady asked were all about how I''d push items on customers and she wanted examples of how I''d approach those entering my dept. and how I''d lure them in. It was horrifying and seeing their perspective and greed had lowered my opinion of them. I guess all retailers are that way
7.gif
Nordstrom isn''t any better than the rest of them.

Well, they are in the business of selling things, MC!
2.gif
Of course they want to know how a salesperson will make sales! If they didn''t have good salespeople they wouldn''t be in business!

I think half the reason their customer service is so great is that their salespeople work on commission. It doesn''t bother me because they''ve always bent over backwards to make me happy!

Exactly Thing2of2! I worked at Nordstrom for 5 years in college. Nordstrom employees work on commission and it is like having your own business and they supply you with the merchandise. Basically, you are in control of your own pay. You have to be able to be a good salesperson and create personal clients. I never once attended a meeting where I was asked to ''push'' items on people. I was taught how to provide great customer service so that people would buy, such as observing what the customer was wearing to get an idea of their personal style, asking them what they were looking for, and then bringing out items I thought they would like. I also was taught how to fit items properly. I would act like a shopping buddy to the customer and helped them make their decision. It really is more like having a personal shopper if you get a salesperson who takes pride in fashion. Macy''s employees don''t make commission unless the work in furniture, cosmetics or shoes. Therefore, they don''t need to go above and beyond because their paycheck will be the same no matter what.

Also, not everyone is always going to feel their shopping experience is to their standards. If a store upsets you just ask for the manager and then if you can''t be helped you can always ask for the store manager or district manager. Anyway, back to the topic at hand...Bebe, if they manager doesn''t get back to you quickly you should try to go into the store and bring them a picture of the coat from Nordstrom. Who knows?...it may have been a mistake like someone said. If it was marked up then ask them to price match it to Nordstrom. Otherwise I would return the item and buy it at Nordstrom. It doesn''t make any sense that the prices are that much different since there is a suggested retail price.

Let me also add that retail does suck. And I''m happy not to be working in retail more due to rude customers than big business as Pennquaker09 said.
Carbonlove, I do intend to take a pic of the coat from Nordstrom. The Macy''s I bought it from is quite a distance from my home, so driving there just for this issue is a problem. I''ve left a message for the mgr. and I''ve yet to hear from him. I will never buy another item from this store.

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
Bebe, it is too bad they still haven''t responded. I just noticed the date on the thread. It has been way too long! They should have responded to you within 48 hours.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
A few years ago I bought a pair of boots from Neiman''s for around $400 on sale. I was happy with the price because they were something like 65% off what Neiman''s claimed was the original price. A few days later I saw them on the Nordstrom''s site and the original price was several hundred less than what Neiman''s claimed. Granted, I paid less that what I could have gotten them at Nordstrom''s for, but, I was still incredibly annoyed...

What I did was I called the manufacturer of the boot to find out what their suggested retail price was. What I found out was that Neiman''s actually sold it at the suggested retail price, but for some reason Nordstrom''s sold it for less to begin with. They have that choice if they don''t feel like an item will move out of the store because it is too expensive or not a popular name brand for the area.

I know that Guess is a very popular name for Macy''s, whereas at Nordstrom''s it would have to compete up against other major contemporary designers, which is why it was probably less expensive. I would check online, or call the manufacturer to find out the ''suggested'' retail value.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a big time Nordies fan myself. The only time I shop at Macy's anymore is when I have gift cards there. They are a very popular gift card vendor, so for birthdays (the wedding), etc. I do always seem to find myself with giftcards from them, but I use them for John's work dress shirts and ties. I can't stand their customer service, and I too have found it for less at Nordstroms, with better service and a no hassle return if needed. Don't blame you for being ticked, you've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread though. Very informative.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2008 3:19:34 PM
Author: musey
Macy''s also suuuuuuuuuucks in the credit card department. My husband opened an account in May to get the day-you-open-a-macy''s-card discount on his wedding suit, put his suit on the card, paid the bill the day it came, and hasn''t used the card since. He got a bill two months later stating that he''d never paid the first one and that there was now a late fee. He called their CS and was told that it was a blip in their system and that they''d take care of it. A month after that he got another bill with additional late charges, so he called AGAIN and made the CS rep tell him that it was completely taken care of before he''d hang up with him.

He checked his credit score last week and, lo and behold, he has MULTIPLE late charges listed from Macy''s which significantly hurts his otherwise stellar credit score.
38.gif

SOOOOOO not worth the additional 10% off his suit (or whatever it was). Sheesh.

Oh wow, I had almost the exact same experience too. I opened up a card so that I could take advantage of the star rewards program with our wedding registry. I bought an item and then returned it two days later but they didn''t credit my account for it, apparently a billing blip. So two months later I went to go use my card to make a purchase so that I could use a 20% off coupon and the Sales Associate had to patch me through the credit dept because they had suspended my card. It was embarrassing to say the least, but the worst part was that it ended up on my credit report too. I''ve been working with a lawyer to get it cleared...

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I actually had a few minutes this past Saturday morning while shopping in the same mall as the shamed Macy''s. I went up to the executive office and asked for the mgr.
Not there, out on the floor, but should be back in the office later that morning. I wasn''t about to wait around, could have been there all day. I will just let it go, I won''t put
amy more effort ito this. But I will not shop there again, ever.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nordstrom''s, however, if they sell it, I''m buying it there. Best. Store. Ever.
I shop at Nordstrom a lot and recently applied there and given a phone interview and was appauled by the questions asked. They pretend to be all about the customers and customer service, but the questions the HR lady asked were all about how I''d push items on customers and she wanted examples of how I''d approach those entering my dept. and how I''d lure them in. It was horrifying and seeing their perspective and greed had lowered my opinion of them. I guess all retailers are that way
7.gif

Ick, that''s unfortunate to hear about your Nordstrom interview. I''ve always had extremely positive experiences at Nordstrom. Several years ago I purchase a suit there, then went back about a week later and saw the suit on sale. I asked the SA if I could bring in the suit for a price adjustment, she said "No need to" and credited my card over $80 on the spot. She had no idea if I really purchased the suit, she just trusted me. They''ve gone out of their way for me in the shoe department multiple times, as well. I wear a 10 narrow, which is hard to find, but Nordstrom always makes the extra call, search, or whatever is needed to help me out. Yes, they make more sales that way, but I''ve never had that kind of service at any other department store.

Okay, Macy''s. I should preface this by saying I''m a Chicagoan, so I had some hard feelings when they bought out Marshall Field''s, anyway. BUT, I warmed up to them over time because I liked their products. Macy''s is definitely not as nice as Field''s, but it was better than nothing.

I purchased three dresses at Macy''s for a rash of bridal showers, all at full price. I can''t remember now, but Macy''s price adjustment policy is either ten or 12 days, and whatever it was, I saw that the dresses were all now $29 a piece (instead of the $59 to $79 I paid for them) the day after the price adjustment period. Okay, I''m a big girl, I get that companies have policies, but I also had these three dresses at home hanging up in their purchase bags, tags on, unworn. I asked the SA if she could adjust my price, and she said No, sorry. So, I asked my sister to get them from my place and meet me at the store (we were meeting for lunch, anyway.) My sister brought the dresses, I returned them, and after I did the return the SA told me I could not re-purchase those dresses for 48 hours. Another policy. Fine.

My sister said "Oh, then I''d like to buy them, please." The SA said "Absolutely not! We are not in the business of being scammed by little girls.* And don''t even think about bringing a friend in to purchase these, either. I''m going to take these dresses in the back now."

It''s one thing to adhere to a store''s policy. It''s an entire different thing to insult your potential (and now ex-) customers, and hide merchandise so it can''t be purchased.

The funny thing is that I went shopping in the mall with my sister, and didn''t find what I was looking for. I went back to Macy''s later that day, found the dresses on the rack, and purchased them with a different card. And that was the last time I''ve shopped there. We have far too many shopping options in my neighborhood for me to spend money at a store with rude employees.

My best friend and husband have also had some awful experiences at Macy''s, too.

*Note--We were 27 and 22 at the time. Young, but certainly not little girls.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Penn--I hear you about the rude customers issue. A very dear friend used to work as a manager for Wal Mart and you wouldn''t believe the things people said to her. I worked retail during high school and college, and people were rude. The worst was a woman who berated me because the store didn''t sell a particular sweater in the exact color she desired.

I almost forgot my most recent Nordstrom love story--my wedding shoes! The shoes went on sale months after I bought them, but months before our wedding. I was way past the return and price adjustment dates, but what did they do? They credited my card for half the price. They''re just lovely at Nordstrom.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2008 11:14:46 PM

7.gif

Ick, that''s unfortunate to hear about your Nordstrom interview. I''ve always had extremely positive experiences at Nordstrom. Several years ago I purchase a suit there, then went back about a week later and saw the suit on sale. I asked the SA if I could bring in the suit for a price adjustment, she said ''No need to'' and credited my card over $80 on the spot. She had no idea if I really purchased the suit, she just trusted me. They''ve gone out of their way for me in the shoe department multiple times, as well. I wear a 10 narrow, which is hard to find, but Nordstrom always makes the extra call, search, or whatever is needed to help me out. Yes, they make more sales that way, but I''ve never had that kind of service at any other department store.

Okay, Macy''s. I should preface this by saying I''m a Chicagoan, so I had some hard feelings when they bought out Marshall Field''s, anyway. BUT, I warmed up to them over time because I liked their products. Macy''s is definitely not as nice as Field''s, but it was better than nothing.

I purchased three dresses at Macy''s for a rash of bridal showers, all at full price. I can''t remember now, but Macy''s price adjustment policy is either ten or 12 days, and whatever it was, I saw that the dresses were all now $29 a piece (instead of the $59 to $79 I paid for them) the day after the price adjustment period. Okay, I''m a big girl, I get that companies have policies, but I also had these three dresses at home hanging up in their purchase bags, tags on, unworn. I asked the SA if she could adjust my price, and she said No, sorry. So, I asked my sister to get them from my place and meet me at the store (we were meeting for lunch, anyway.) My sister brought the dresses, I returned them, and after I did the return the SA told me I could not re-purchase those dresses for 48 hours. Another policy. Fine.

My sister said ''Oh, then I''d like to buy them, please.'' The SA said ''Absolutely not! We are not in the business of being scammed by little girls.* And don''t even think about bringing a friend in to purchase these, either. I''m going to take these dresses in the back now.''

It''s one thing to adhere to a store''s policy. It''s an entire different thing to insult your potential (and now ex-) customers, and hide merchandise so it can''t be purchased.

The funny thing is that I went shopping in the mall with my sister, and didn''t find what I was looking for. I went back to Macy''s later that day, found the dresses on the rack, and purchased them with a different card. And that was the last time I''ve shopped there. We have far too many shopping options in my neighborhood for me to spend money at a store with rude employees.

My best friend and husband have also had some awful experiences at Macy''s, too.

*Note--We were 27 and 22 at the time. Young, but certainly not little girls.
I worked at The Limited for a summer and this was standard for us. I believe we did absolutely NO price adjustments. When people asked about returning and buying back the item at a lower price, we had to tell them that the item would be going into the back to be "processed" and it wouldn''t be out again for at least 48 hours if at all! That was one of the worst jobs of my life.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
oobie--YUCK! That must have made for some uncomfortable situations at The Limited. I''m very glad to be done with working retail. I''ve thought about getting a part-time job during the summers when I''m off from my teaching job, but then I remember how much I hated retail and commit to teaching summer school instead!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 4:51:36 PM
oobie--YUCK! That must have made for some uncomfortable situations at The Limited. I''m very glad to be done with working retail. I''ve thought about getting a part-time job during the summers when I''m off from my teaching job, but then I remember how much I hated retail and commit to teaching summer school instead!
I have always felt bad for the sales associates that had to clean up all those trashed dressing rooms. I never leave a dressing room with clothing thrown on the floor.
Just yesterday I was in Zara''s (Houston Galleria) with my daughter. The place was a disaster. Not only were the dressing rooms a horrid mess, but the sales floor had clothing
tossed around. We didn''t stay long.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm... MC, I'm sorry but I'm confused. It sounds like they wanted to find out your sales skills. Ultimately, they are sales people and customer service is a tool to retain customers. It's not done out of the goodness of their hearts, it's done to make a sale, if not at that time, then later. Which is what Nordstroms capitalizes on. I'm confused that you would hold that against them or being disillusioned by it. Obviously their HR recruiting works to get them customers and keep them, because they are one of the few companies that didn't have desparate Christmas Sales going on, store closures, and the hiring of incompetent holiday help.

Just wondering why you hold that interview against them.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2008 10:19:22 PM
I actually had a few minutes this past Saturday morning while shopping in the same mall as the shamed Macy''s. I went up to the executive office and asked for the mgr.
Not there, out on the floor, but should be back in the office later that morning. I wasn''t about to wait around, could have been there all day. I will just let it go, I won''t put
I don''t know if I believe this anymore. Are managers allowed to leave the floor with nobody else in charge? If he/she was still in the store why couldn''t they use the announcer to call him/her back to deal with your complaint? I wonder if this is a fob off? I have noticed the increasing amounts I have been told that the X is at lunch, away from their phone/desk, not in today, personall day, holidays etc, with nobody else in the whole wide world able to talk to me about that issue until he/she gets back. I don''t believe it anymore and keep asking for his boss, her boss, his manager, the CEO! etc until I get somebody to help me. It worked the last time I did it.

I understand if you do not want to waste more time, but I was looking forward to hearing if you got satisfaction from Macys.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 6:20:39 PM
Author: Steel

Date: 12/22/2008 10:19:22 PM
I don''t know if I believe this anymore. Are managers allowed to leave the floor with nobody else in charge? If he/she was still in the store why couldn''t they use the announcer to call him/her back to deal with your complaint? I wonder if this is a fob off? I have noticed the increasing amounts I have been told that the X is at lunch, away from their phone/desk, not in today, personall day, holidays etc, with nobody else in the whole wide world able to talk to me about that issue until he/she gets back. I don''t believe it anymore and keep asking for his boss, her boss, his manager, the CEO! etc until I get somebody to help me. It worked the last time I did it.

I understand if you do not want to waste more time, but I was looking forward to hearing if you got satisfaction from Macys.
Steel, I couldn''t wait for someone else and I also didn''t want to waste my time retelling the whole incident, just to be told "I''d have to speak with the mgr. since he was the one who knew about it, blah blah." I know I should stand up for myself on this matter, but it''s done and for me, over. I haven''t set a foot inside that store since and will not. The whole thing really gets me mad. It almost seems as if we are forced into accepting this type of mgmt. Grrr!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry Bebe.

Re-reading my post, it sounded aggressive and it was in no way meant to be. I was feeling your frustration and having a vent of my own. It did not read as I intended to write. I get how things get under your skin. Sometimes you have to protect your sanity and walk away - especially when it is not a huge issue. I responded initially because this type of crap bugs me. Whatever happened to honest pay for an honest days work? Do not inflate prices and try to mislead your customers. Just charge a consistently fair price; to me that is the only real way to secure a happy, reliable and most importantly returning consumer base.

Again, sorry.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 7:35:40 PM
Author: Steel
I am sorry Bebe.

Re-reading my post, it sounded aggressive and it was in no way meant to be. I was feeling your frustration and having a vent of my own. It did not read as I intended to write. I get how things get under your skin. Sometimes you have to protect your sanity and walk away - especially when it is not a huge issue. I responded initially because this type of crap bugs me. Whatever happened to honest pay for an honest days work? Do not inflate prices and try to mislead your customers. Just charge a consistently fair price; to me that is the only real way to secure a happy, reliable and most importantly returning consumer base.

Again, sorry.
Steel, no harm done. In no way did I take your post as agressive ! This garbage bugs me too and in normal situations I would be all over it. But this was during the madness of the holidays and also at a Macy''s I don''t frequent. I feel we are forced to accept this kind of treatment from many businesses. Wall Street and our Gov''t included.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I am weird but I like my local Macy''s store. It''s in a mall that is very convenient to my house, and of that mall it is the nicest and the friendliest staffed. Many times I haven''t had the most recent coupons, but they will scan them at the register without asking so I get more off. The bag I got there this fall (a certain fossil tote) was 30 bucks cheaper than anywhere I saw online. I get all antsy feeling shopping at places like Marshalls where everything is crowded together with no rhyme or reason, while the Macy''s is nicely laid. I don''t think everything there is a deal (for example I don''t buy jewelry or children''s clothes there). However since I can''t afford to shop at the really ritsy shops I probably have lower benchmarks and so are pretty easy to please.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 3:45:56 PM
Author: part gypsy
I guess I am weird but I like my local Macy''s store. It''s in a mall that is very convenient to my house, and of that mall it is the nicest and the friendliest staffed. Many times I haven''t had the most recent coupons, but they will scan them at the register without asking so I get more off. The bag I got there this fall (a certain fossil tote) was 30 bucks cheaper than anywhere I saw online. I get all antsy feeling shopping at places like Marshalls where everything is crowded together with no rhyme or reason, while the Macy''s is nicely laid. I don''t think everything there is a deal (for example I don''t buy jewelry or children''s clothes there). However since I can''t afford to shop at the really ritsy shops I probably have lower benchmarks and so are pretty easy to please.
part gypsy, my local Macy''s has been closed since Hurricane Ike. I doubt they reopen. But in a pinch, if I HAD to have something, I would at least look in there. But I generally stayed out of there. This particular Macy''s had a dismal inventory, forcing many local shoppers to shop elsewhere. It wasn''t inviting. Some of the clerks were nice, one lady I saw there year after year. I''m sure not all Macy''s are like this one near me. I can''t shop at Marshalls either. Just too much stuff!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking that stores may vary in their quality, or I just got lucky, or developed a relationship with a few of the salespeople. I do have to admit I did have hard feelings at first at Macy''s taking over Marshall Fields. It was a big treat when I was growing up to shop at the Marshall''s Field''s in downtown Chicago and eat at their cafeteria at the top floor. My sister and mother in law love Nordstroms. I have gone with them to Nordies before and can attest to their courteous and attentive salespeople. I like their atmosphere, it''s just too rich for my blood to shop there too regularly if at all.

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I'm sad to read that so many of you have had negative experiences at your Macy's because I have to say that I love Macys! My favorite one is the one in Manhattan. The past few years I've shopped there a lot and had their highest credit card level and I've gotten a lot out of it. I've gotten hundreds of dollars back in Star Rewards certificates on my credit card purchases, and I can use those like cash to buy anything in the store including make-up. The higher levels of their credit card comes with free gift wrapping and alterations, so I always get presents gift wrapped to impress FF's family (they think I actually wrap those presents, hehe!)

I've bought a fair number of things at discounts that aren't usually sold at any other price but retail. For example, Macy's will give 15% off (or maybe it's 20%?) a Kate Spade or Coach handbag at their semi-annual Friends & Family Sale but the same exact bag never goes on sale at the Kate Spade or Coach stores right next door to Macy's in the mall. A few weeks ago I decided to buy a very pricey Tag Heuer watch FF has been eyeing as a future wedding present. With the power of multiple discounts they could apply, I got the retail price knocked down by 25% (before tax) and I will be getting a huge reward certificate back on the credit card to more than make up for the tax. I haven't been able to find any Tag retailers in my town who could match the discount Macy's gave me. They've been shocked at what I paid at Macys. I've had sales associates help me return items way past their return expiration policy, and I at least get store credit which is better than having the item collect dust in my apartment.

I've never had a problem with their credit card customer service, a few years ago they helped me resolve a huge charge dispute very professionally . However, today was the first time that I called the credit card and I think I got sent to India...I hope this was just a fluke and isn't going to be a regular occurrence because then my opinion will change

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results