shape
carat
color
clarity

Shallow crown, Deep pavillion. Need advice

tmd2006

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a diamond for an engagement ring and was wondering if someone would be able to shed some light on whether these measurements should be a concern.

Thanks in advance

2.65 ct F Si1 - eye clean
Table % 57
Crown height 14.5
Crown ang 34.5
Pavillion height 43.5%
Pavillion ang 41.0

Total depth 60.5%
Thin girdle 2.5%

Star facet 60%
Pavillion 80%

No culet

The HCA says its a 1.8
In comparing to other diamonds the crown is a bit short and pavillion a bit deep. Is this difference too small to notice or will there be an effect. Furthermore, the girdle on the thin side as well as largish star facets

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
T

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tmd2006|1339716671|3216476 said:
I am considering purchasing a diamond for an engagement ring and was wondering if someone would be able to shed some light on whether these measurements should be a concern.

Thanks in advance

Table % 57
Crown height 14.5
Crown ang 34.5
Pavillion height 43.5%
Pavillion ang 41.0

Total depth 60.5%
Thin girdle 2.5%

Star facet 60%
Pavillion 80%

No culet

The HCA says its a 1.8
In comparing to other diamonds the crown is a bit short and pavillion a bit deep. Is this difference too small to notice or will there be an effect. Furthermore, the girdle on the thin side as well as largish star facets

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
T

Crown is definitely not overly (or even a little bit) shallow, pav is definitely not steep. Thin girdle is just fine w/ a stone this size (girdle percent is determined as a function of diameter). Some like longer stars, it makes negligible real-world difference other than slightly changing the look of the stone a bit - definitely not something to base your decision on either way ::)

What is pol/sym listed on the report? When was the report issued, and by what authority (I assume GIA)? Is it eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are (clean at 5" face-up? 12" sufficient...?) Have you seen the stone or can you get some pictures to judge optical symmetry? (symmetry listed on the report is physical facet-meet symmetry, optical symmetry is symmetry of all the reflections and reflected facets called "virtual facets" throughout the stone)

tmd2006

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1339717455|3216483 said:
tmd2006|1339716671|3216476 said:

Thanks in advance

Table % 57
Crown height 14.5
Crown ang 34.5
Pavillion height 43.5%
Pavillion ang 41.0

Total depth 60.5%
Thin girdle 2.5%

Star facet 60%
Pavillion 80%

No culet

The HCA says its a 1.8

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
T

Crown is definitely not overly (or even a little bit) shallow, pav is definitely not steep. Thin girdle is just fine w/ a stone this size (girdle percent is determined as a function of diameter). Some like longer stars, it makes negligible real-world difference other than slightly changing the look of the stone a bit - definitely not something to base your decision on either way ::)

What is pol/sym listed on the report? When was the report issued, and by what authority (I assume GIA)? Is it eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are (clean at 5" face-up? 12" sufficient...?) Have you seen the stone or can you get some pictures to judge optical symmetry? (symmetry listed on the report is physical facet-meet symmetry, optical symmetry is symmetry of all the reflections and reflected facets called "virtual facets" throughout the stone)

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention the other details. Pol/Sym are both Excellent as reported by GIA cert. I havent seen the stone as this is an e-stone.

In terms of eye cleanliness, they said inclusions could only been seen with 10x mag face up. They didnt mention anything else.

Is the optical symmetry something I can get the retailer to reliably tell me or will they simply quote the GIA cert? (Blue Nile)

Thanks so much!
T

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile doesn't have access to their stones. When they are telling you that the stone is eye clean to 10x, they have called the dealer and asked his opinion, of course he wants to sell his stone.....this is another reason it's difficult to purchase without magnified images. An option would be to contact ID Jewelers and give them the report # of the stone and ask them to call it in. They will be able to give you magnified images and Ideal scope images to determine if the stone has any leakage issues. They will also beat BNs price. =)

tmd2006

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. I'll look into that. Heres the one Im comparing it with

2.48 F Si1
Table 55%
Crown ang 34.5
Crown height 15.5
Pavillion depth 43
Pav ang 40.8
Total depth 61.9

Star face 55%
No culet

HCA scores 1.3
Pol/Sym - Ex by GIA
Will the smaller table and lower pav angle and deeper total depth have much of an effect or do you think these 2 will look similar?

Thanks!
T

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results