shape
carat
color
clarity

Shady move by GOG...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 8:11:14 PM
Author: Imdanny
surfgirl- you have a very aggressive way of putting things. Just some feedback. You might want to share your opinions in a more subtle and diplomatic way. I don't personally like to have to read berating posts. You did the same thing to me.
38.gif

ummm, geez, what part was "aggressive" IMdanny? Was it the "Dude, chill" part? Because it was a lot less vehement than other posts..Dude, please, go get a beer on me, okay?
9.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 8:38:07 PM
Author: surfgirl

surfgirl- you have a very aggressive way of putting things. Just some feedback. You might want to share your opinions in a more subtle and diplomatic way. I don''t personally like to have to read berating posts. You did the same thing to me.
38.gif

ummm, geez, what part was ''aggressive'' IMdanny? Was it the ''Dude, chill'' part? Because it was a lot less vehement than other posts..Dude, please, go get a beer on me, okay?
9.gif
I have to agree with Imdanny. Although the OP here clearly jumped to conclusions, he isn''t the first person you''ve been rude to. In fact you''ve done it to me, and I know of several others that are put off by your manner. Your knowledge and comments are generally helpful, but the way in which you express yourself usually comes across as condescending, tactless, and downright rude. I highly doubt that''s how you''d act or treat others in person. If you''re going to contribute, do it gracefully...or don''t do it at all.

PS-it may have been "less vehement" than some other posts here, but it doesn''t make it right...especially since your behavior is consistent.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 10:04:13 PM
Author: scarlet16

surfgirl- you have a very aggressive way of putting things. Just some feedback. You might want to share your opinions in a more subtle and diplomatic way. I don''t personally like to have to read berating posts. You did the same thing to me.
38.gif

ummm, geez, what part was ''aggressive'' IMdanny? Was it the ''Dude, chill'' part? Because it was a lot less vehement than other posts..Dude, please, go get a beer on me, okay?
9.gif
I have to agree with Imdanny. Although the OP here clearly jumped to conclusions, he isn''t the first person you''ve been rude to. In fact you''ve done it to me, and I know of several others that are put off by your manner. Your knowledge and comments are generally helpful, but the way in which you express yourself usually comes across as condescending, tactless, and downright rude. I highly doubt that''s how you''d act or treat others in person. If you''re going to contribute, do it gracefully...or don''t do it at all.

PS-it may have been ''less vehement'' than some other posts here, but it doesn''t make it right...especially since your behavior is consistent.

Danny and scarlet, if you have a problem with someone''s response to you, you should address them in your own threads. Surfgirl wasn''t aggressive or rude in any way to the OP.

As for the OP, I''m sure you''ve gotten the hint by now-anything with a return policy can get returned and show up again. It''s probably best not to jump to far-fetched conclusions!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock

38.gif

9.gif
I hate to hijack the thread... but just like I felt the need to defend GOG based on my own personal experience... I have met Surfgirl in person and also feel the need to defend her. I see nothing wrong with what you wrote and I will buy YOU a beer, surfgirl, for putting up with people attacking you, ohhhh sooo subtly, on this forum. You would think from the original example of some inexperienced PS diamond buyer bad mouthing GOG in public... others would learn from example and maybe try to not pass judgement on YOU publically based on their own individual interpretations. Everything should be read as if the writer was saying it with a smile... LIGHTEN up folks!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock

38.gif

9.gif

PS-it may have been ''less vehement'' than some other posts here, but it doesn''t make it right...especially since your behavior is consistent.

whaaaa???? I see nothing aggressive in her post at all. I can''t see how you would interpret it this way.

I also have never seen any evidence of her being ''condescending, tactless, and downright rude'' Them''s strong words.

I don''t know her at all so I have no need to be anything but impartial.

My .02c

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would have been shady if the stone had reappeared by with a much higher price. Just getting a stone back in inventory isn''t shady at all.

I saw that it was still available though so I guess that means that you decided not to take it? You have nothing to lose by buying yourself and playing with it in person to see if you want to keep it or return it like the other person apparently has.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Web is a great leveller - great that a decent vendor''s reputation can be protected by their clients.
Date: 4/26/2008 3:29:23 AM
Author: Addy
It would have been shady if the stone had reappeared by with a much higher price. Just getting a stone back in inventory isn''t shady at all.

I saw that it was still available though so I guess that means that you decided not to take it? You have nothing to lose by buying yourself and playing with it in person to see if you want to keep it or return it like the other person apparently has.
The US$ is falling and diamond prices rising.
keenly priced vendors have every right to raise the prices on their goods.
What is the point of selling a diamond at or below cost, then doing work to find a replacement?
Consumers scream unfairness.
But vendors have rights and family''s to feed too

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have much to add to others comments as I feel exactly the same way as others and have voiced my support for GOG in many posts.
I am just curious if the OP cares to reply ? I know it may seem intimidating with all the others posts, but jonathan himself has made the effort to respond.. The least would be to say thankyou for the explanation..?
33.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2008 3:50:30 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
The Web is a great leveller - great that a decent vendor's reputation can be protected by their clients.

It would have been shady if the stone had reappeared by with a much higher price. Just getting a stone back in inventory isn't shady at all.

What is the point of selling a diamond at or below cost, then doing work to find a replacement?

But vendors have rights and family's to feed too

That's why I said "much higher price" rather than just "higher price". I was then going to explain the need for vendors to sometimes raise their prices in my original post, but it got too long and wordy. I thought the "much higher price" took care of my having to explain exactly what I meant.

Okay, here goes. Had the stone stone appeared back in the inventory with a much higher price, higher than inflation or the cost to the replace the stone, such as closer to the cost of the original stone you were looking at (which you said was around $2K more), then it would have been a shady move. Just getting the stone back in inventory isn't shady at all.

I think I kept semi-short and sweet and covered all the points this time!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/26/2008 3:58:26 AM

Date: 4/26/2008 3:50:30 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
The Web is a great leveller - great that a decent vendor''s reputation can be protected by their clients.

But vendors have rights and family''s to feed too

That''s why I said ''much higher price'' rather than just ''higher price''. I was then going to explain the need for vendors to sometimes raise their prices in my original post, but it got too long and wordy. I thought the ''much higher price'' took care of my having to explain exactly what I meant.

Okay, here goes. Had the stone stone appeared back in the inventory with a much higher price, higher than inflation or the cost to the replace the stone, such as closer to the cost of the original stone you were looking at (which you said was around $2K more), then it would have been a shady move. Just getting the stone back in inventory isn''t shady at all.

I think I kept semi-short and sweet and covered all the points this time!
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Don''t really have much of anything *new* to add here, but I just wanted to pop in and ditto what everyone said who was in support of Jon and GOG. I have never had the pleasure of buying a GOG stone (YET!
31.gif
) but I would sure love to one day. It''s just this blasted *budget*, you see... (so many diamonds, so little time...
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 9:24:58 AM
Author: Lynn B
Don't really have much of anything *new* to add here, but I just wanted to pop in and ditto what everyone said who was in support of Jon and GOG. I have never had the pleasure of buying a GOG stone (YET!
31.gif
) but I would sure love to one day. It's just this blasted *budget*, you see... (so many diamonds, so little time...
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)
Hey, you got any Tiffany boxes??
9.gif
31.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock

38.gif

9.gif

A big fat Word!
And it has been addressed in my threads, and others.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 9:45:21 AM
Author: Ellen

Don''t really have much of anything *new* to add here, but I just wanted to pop in and ditto what everyone said who was in support of Jon and GOG. I have never had the pleasure of buying a GOG stone (YET!
31.gif
) but I would sure love to one day. It''s just this blasted *budget*, you see... (so many diamonds, so little time...
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)
9.gif
31.gif
LOL, Ellen! Yessireee, I do! Watch for them on eBay, babeeee!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 9:58:46 AM

Date: 4/26/2008 9:45:21 AM
Author: Ellen

31.gif
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)
9.gif
31.gif
LOL, Ellen! Yessireee, I do! Watch for them on eBay, babeeee!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
lol.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Surfgirl, I don''t why you are getting these comments
33.gif
. I just get a casual, laid back but upfront impression from your posts, nothing derogatory or mean spirited.
I like someone''s post where she says we should imagine people posts with a smile so here you go
9.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 9:46:34 AM
Author: CrookedRock

38.gif

9.gif

A big fat Word!

And it has been addressed in my threads, and others.

Now I''ve seen reference to this ''Word'' somewhere else - I''m so not up with these things, but I am curious! I can''t tell if you agree with Imdanny or not.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Please keep the posts respectful and on topic.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My opinion of the topic on the table is that the OP clearly jumped to conclusions. If one buys something it''s a done deal. If an item is not bought, there is no contract, and no reason for complaint IMO.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock

38.gif

9.gif

I don''t see anything wrong with surfgirl''s post. She tells it like it is without sugar coating, nothing''s wrong with that.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with most of the comments here.. purchased and returned. This scenario can happen not just with diamonds, but with shoes and bags too!

Haven''t heard back from the original poster.. troll?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 2:55:05 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Agree with most of the comments here.. purchased and returned. This scenario can happen not just with diamonds, but with shoes and bags too!

ditto. I also think the title of the thread should be changed to something like "question about GOG" or "question about GOG''s sale''s policy" or something that doesn''t directly accuse them of being unethical which can be misleading in the search results.

re: the comments personally directed at Surfgirl. I am one of those who is not offended at all by her directness and humor and trust the Moderators to determine what is and isn''t appropriate. She''s an asset to this board IMO and for those who do find her offending it''s pretty ease to just skim and skip her post.
1.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 3:05:51 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Date: 4/26/2008 2:55:05 PM

Author: simplysplendid

ditto. I also think the title of the thread should be changed to something like ''question about GOG'' or ''question about GOG''s sale''s policy'' or something that doesn''t directly accuse them of being unethical which can be misleading in the search results.

re: the comments personally directed at Surfgirl. I am one of those who is not offended at all by her directness and humor and trust the Moderators to determine what is and isn''t appropriate. She''s an asset to this board IMO and for those who do find her offending it''s pretty ease to just skim and skip her post.
1.gif

I agree with the above on all counts.
9.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 3:05:51 PM
Author: mrssalvo

ditto. I also think the title of the thread should be changed to something like ''question about GOG'' or ''question about GOG''s sale''s policy'' or something that doesn''t directly accuse them of being unethical which can be misleading in the search results.

1.gif
I agree that the thread title should be changed. If this person felt so stongly they should have come back and defended their position. Jon and his staff have done so much for so many people here that I think it''s only fair to have the title changed. Jon couldn''t have handled the situation better!

RE: the other issue... I personally did not find her post in this thread to be rude, actually she kinda said what I was thinking. But there are other threads that I have started where I have felt attacked, and some where I felt other people were attacked. Clearly I am not the only one who feels that way. I could sit here and link all the threads that I feel slightly rude comments were made, but honestly it''s not worth my time. I''m leaving it at that.

I do hope the OP comes back to clear all this up in the name of good business.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the OP should come back and comment on this, it is not fair to GOG otherwise. Rhino took the time to respond, I think he deserves the same.

I have never had the pleasure of working with GOG, but I have heard nothing but wonderful things about them, and the stones that have been posted here have all been beautiful!

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 2:38:04 PM
My opinion of the topic on the table is that the OP clearly jumped to conclusions. If one buys something it''s a done deal. If an item is not bought, there is no contract, and no reason for complaint IMO.

Welllllllllllllll....not so fast.

The OP here thinks he was the victim of a "bait and switch." I''m not saying that is in fact what happened in this case -- it doesn''t appear to be IMO.

A "bait and switch" is where a seller advertises something yet doesn''t intend to sell that item at that price. That act is per se deceptive according to many states Consumer Fraud Acts. In NJ it''s found here:

56:8-2.2. Scheme to not sell item or service advertised

The advertisement of merchandise as part of a plan or scheme not to sell the item or service so advertised or not to sell the same at the advertised price is an unlawful practice and a violation of the act to which this act is a supplement.

I''m sure NY has some similar provision. Thus if this was actually the case the OP would have a valid point and a great case to recover damages -- In NJ you get treble damages on the price of the contract so the OP would be entitled to 3x the difference in the value of the stones...I think, maybe even the entire purchase price.

PLEASE NOTE -- I''m not saying this happened, I''m just saying that things are more complex than imdanny is claiming. I''m actually looking forward to working with GOG in the coming months!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 5:11:12 PM
Author: IronMikey

My opinion of the topic on the table is that the OP clearly jumped to conclusions. If one buys something it's a done deal. If an item is not bought, there is no contract, and no reason for complaint IMO.

The OP here thinks he was the victim of a 'bait and switch.' I'm not saying that is in fact what happened in this case -- it doesn't appear to be IMO.

A 'bait and switch' is where a seller advertises something yet doesn't intend to sell that item at that price. That act is per se deceptive according to many states Consumer Fraud Acts. In NJ it's found here:

The advertisement of merchandise as part of a plan or scheme not to sell the item or service so advertised or not to sell the same at the advertised price is an unlawful practice and a violation of the act to which this act is a supplement.

I'm sure NY has some similar provision. Thus if this was actually the case the OP would have a valid point and a great case to recover damages -- In NJ you get treble damages on the price of the contract so the OP would be entitled to 3x the difference in the value of the stones...I think, maybe even the entire purchase price.

PLEASE NOTE -- I'm not saying this happened, I'm just saying that things are more complex than imdanny is claiming. I'm actually looking forward to working with GOG in the coming months!

IM- Please read the thread more thoroughly. He isn't claiming that the stone was put up again at a higher price, only that it reappeared after he was told it had been sold. Which is the truth and happens all the time. And especially considering that he had been sitting on the other stone for awhile, GOG doesn't seem to have been misleading him into purchasing anything he didn't want to. I really don't see how there is anything cloudy about the situation AT ALL.

And thus no need to bring legalese into a situation where it isn't warranted or the same situation that you are talking about.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 5:24:10 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 4/26/2008 5:11:12 PM

Author: IronMikey

The OP here thinks he was the victim of a ''bait and switch.'' I''m not saying that is in fact what happened in this case -- it doesn''t appear to be IMO.

A ''bait and switch'' is where a seller advertises something yet doesn''t intend to sell that item at that price. That act is per se deceptive according to many states Consumer Fraud Acts. In NJ it''s found here:

I''m sure NY has some similar provision. Thus if this was actually the case the OP would have a valid point and a great case to recover damages -- In NJ you get treble damages on the price of the contract so the OP would be entitled to 3x the difference in the value of the stones...I think, maybe even the entire purchase price.

PLEASE NOTE -- I''m not saying this happened, I''m just saying that things are more complex than imdanny is claiming. I''m actually looking forward to working with GOG in the coming months!

IM- Please read the thread more thoroughly. He isn''t claiming that the stone was put up again at a higher price, only that it reappeared after he was told it had been sold. Which is the truth and happens all the time. And especially considering that he had been sitting on the other stone for awhile, GOG doesn''t seem to have been misleading him into purchasing anything he didn''t want to. I really don''t see how there is anything cloudy about the situation AT ALL.

And thus no need to bring legalese into a situation where it isn''t warranted or the same situation that you are talking about.
Neatfreak,

Thanks for your input but maybe you didn''t read the post I was responding to. I wasn''t just jumping in with my two cents, I was responding to someone who asserted that essentially until you buy something you have no basis to complain about sales tactics.

Read the statute more thoroughly. It says that if you advertise something with no intent to sell it then that is consumer fraud. Thus, if the OP was correct in his post then he has a very valid point.

If, for example, he could show that GOG advertised a stone that they never intended to sell or sell at that price then he has a valid claim. I''m NOT SAYING THAT HAPPENED!

I''m saying that if it did, the OP wouldn''t be out of luck like the post I responded to suggested.

Read the statute again:

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
IM- All I am saying is that by posting something like that in this thread it implies to many people that GOG WAS doing something shady, which they were not. It appeared that you were responding to the OP's posts, not someone else's, because imdanny was talking about the situation at hand with the OP. It can just be a problem for vendors to have their reputation on the line with a misleading post about something that doesn't apply to this situation. That's all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is I have NEVER dealt with anyone in a sales situation with more integrity and honesty than Jonathan Weingarten at Good Old Gold. The title of this thread is offensive to me because I know it must be hurtful to Jonathan and his family who work in that business. However, I hope the positive testimonials on this thread work out to their favor instead of causing damage as was intended in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results