shape
carat
color
clarity

sewing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
After much consideration and reading a few books on how-to, I''ve decided it''s time to add a new hobby---I want to learn how to sew. I have the goal in mind of making my own wedding dress in two years, but I also am dead frustrated with never ever having clothes fit me right and would enjoy drafting my own patterns for clothes.

I''ve looked at the older threads on PS about this, and I had one main question:

Is there ANY reliable machine that will sew the fussy fabrics (silk, satin, etc), not break, and generally be solid and reliable without frills for under 500 dollars?

What about used options? My impression from the older threads was that you basically have to spend 1500 or more, and if that''s so it just isn''t an option for me.

Ugh, I am sure starting up my cooking hobby was expensive as well, but it''s paid for itself so many times over I don''t feel the pinch anymore...

Thank you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RT I like making curtains and cushion covers and I have a small Singer which cost around $100 4 or 5 years ago and it has served me brilliantly! It also has coped with repairing the thick canvas of horse rugs with only a blunted needle on a couple of occasions
36.gif

Hopefully Belle will chime in as she is a sewer, but I don''t think you need to spend a fortune on a machine, get a basic model you can afford of a reliable brand and see how you get on. Many of the fancy machines have lots of different programmes for different stitches etc which a basic machine will be fine for in the beginning.

Good luck, it is a nice hobby and can save you a fortune. I save a ton on my curtains as I buy my fabric from Laura Ashley and design and make what I want, it would cost a fortune for ready mades from them.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i don''t have any good information about sewing, but i, too, am thinking i might want to take it up as a hobby.

because i didn''t want to sink a lot of money into it without being certain i actually like sewing, i originally was looking to take a class where the machines were provided. i had a terrible time finding any sewing classes, let alone ones that had machines...DC is apparently not a good area for this hobby.

fortunately, i have a friend that is really talented and she''s going to give me a few lessons at her house on her machine. tomorrow is our first go at it and we have a pattern for a very simple dress. i''m really excited.

do you know where you can find nice patterns online??

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lulu- did you try G Street Fabrics? They offer classes. I took a class through Arlington County''s continuing ed a few years ago and they had machines there too.... it was great. Having a friend teach is always good, but sometimes the more experienced instructors are the "go-to" people.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks sumbride. i did hear about g street, but i didn''t realize that they provided machines. i''m going to try it out with my friend, but that is great to know! i did a search of continuing ed classes and found all manner of pottery and photography classes, but couldn''t seem to find any sewing...

my husband is joking that now that i''m married i''m becoming all "domesticated" -- but i just want to see if i can make any cute/cheap clothes
9.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Usually, when you add up time spent and materials, making your own clothes won''t come out any cheaper... but if you want to have fun or you want to make something really special... that''s when it''s worth it. There''s no way I could make a pair of pants for less money than I would spend in the store when I add in my time spent, but hey, it''s fun... and it can be custom tailored to your body! Though it''s really hard to take your own measurements and pin on yourself... you''ll need some help with that.

Before I was born (and my mom had to get a job), my mom used to make all her own clothes and my father''s clothes... she even made his suits! She''s an excellent seamstress! When I came along (4th kid!) and she started working full time, she no longer had time for that, but she''d still make my Easter dress, or halloween costumes, school pageant costumes, etc... she even made me a duvet cover out of sheets once and saved me a ton of money! Me? I''ve made some pillows and a couple of purses, but I have grand plans for more... it just never seems to happen.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
all i know is that a good machine makes it fun and a machine that gives you problems makes it not fun. i used to have a singer and now i have a viking....and it will sew anything w/o the bobbin thread knotting up, or me tearing my hair out.

there are still sewing machine shops around: find one, go in and ''test drive'' them! that''s what i did years ago when i decided i wanted to sew again but could not face that singer one more time. seeiing what the machine could do made a world of difference....and i got to run it. also, most sewing machine shops will throw in a lesson or two. of course, you won''t get the bargain price but you will get the service. the machine i now have will do thick denim, leather, satin, etc. i haven''t used its entire capability but for what i have done, i am ever so thankful that i don''t have to fight the machine just to get a straight seam.

movie zombie

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
thanks everyone! I''ve been on a plane all day so I will have to go through and look more closely at suggestions tommorrow when I''ve had a bit of sleep.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi RainbowT ~
emrose.gif

Sewing can be alot of fun, and also a big headache!

My suggestion would be to find a nice and reliable basic sewing machine for under $500. They are out there. The reason I say this ... because this is a new hobby for you. After you have played and experimented with sewing, you will know and understand how much freedom you have to put your dream or vision into reality. This can be a curse too ... some ideas are definately more elaborate and the skill level high ... if your not prepared for it ... it can become a headache ... and the passion to create can wither and die off. With time, if you still find sewing facinating ... then I would have you consider a more expensive and elaborate sewing machine.

A friend of mine thought some of the elaborate costumes I make so fascinating & beautiful, that she wanted to learn how to sew, as then she could make her visons come to life. She went to the sewing store, they suggested the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles ... and cost approx. $4,000! She took some classes this shop offered and she was having some fun. Well, this fun was short lived for her. She ended selling the machine to a friend for $1,800! She thought it was going to be easy, and fun ... she said that it took too much time and effort to create and the end result of her not being a seasoned sewer just wasn''t worth it in the end.

So, start out with a basic model ... if after a year of playing around and making different things with different materials ... if you still are as excited and having fun creating ... go for the dream sewing machine.

I have a basic model sewing machine, and a basic model serger. So far, I have been able to do many things with them. Maybe someday I''ll upgrade and get one that can embroider!
3.gif

I wish I had more time to sew ... My sewing room in the garage is missing me!
39.gif

Best wishes, and have fun!
35.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2006 6:57:12 PM
Author: ladykemma

i cringe when i see people buying simplicity patterns these days.

Why? I was considering giving it a shot.....but I wouldn''t know any better.....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 5:27:00 PM
Author: Starset Princess

Date: 8/18/2006 6:57:12 PM
Author: ladykemma

i cringe when i see people buying simplicity patterns these days.

Why? I was considering giving it a shot.....but I wouldn''t know any better.....
i would just go ahead and jump into a drafting patterns class and draping. might as well learn it right from day 1.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Just on the wild off chance, do any of you know about buying sewing machines in morocco? I know they must have them there since I've seen women use them...but I don't know if they bought them in Europe or not.
Fabric is VERY reasonable there and I'd love to make some things since cooking is a backbreaking hobby to keep up there while sewing is much less so.

LadyKemma or Mrs Darlin Joy:

In general, how long would you say it took you to build up to a skill level where you would feel confident sewing and doing the pattern for a reasonably complex dress? (I'm looking at a corset bodice, lace applique, chapel train silk orgaza skirt with lace trim). Thank you!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
about a year or two

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
last saturday, i sewed my first dress
9.gif

it was a terribly easy pattern and my friend/"teacher" was marvelous.

I''m definately going to be making future projects
emstar.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
congrats lulu!

Pics?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i should post some pictures...

it looks a little like an amish pillowcase, but hey, it''s a first dress
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results