shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings for MT sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
I recently picked up a few Montana sapphires because I have been in love with their unique steely-blue goodness ever since I first saw a batch of loose stones at my old jeweler years ago. I took a ring in to be repaired, and they were among the fancy sapphires I looked at to replace my stone. Unfortunately they were just a smidge more than my ramen-eating college-student self could afford, but I never forgot how much I loved those stones, all the more because they came for the good ol'' USA.
Now that they are within my financial reach, I think I may have a slight addiction, hehe
Anyway, one of the settings I am considering is this one: semi-mount for round or princess
Does anyone have this setting, or a stone set in a similar head? I can''t picture what a stone would look like in here for some reason and would love to see what it would look like with a stone.
Thanks!

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Another question:
Does anyone know if this mounting (which says it''s for a round) could accommodate a princess cut?ring

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be possible to fit a princess cut shape but one thing you can be sure of is that princess cut coloured gemstones are almost impossible to find.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 9:07:51 AM
Author: Chrono
It might be possible to fit a princess cut shape but one thing you can be sure of is that princess cut coloured gemstones are almost impossible to find.
Usually, yes, but I picked up this from Gem Line, and now I am looking for a setting.
2.gif

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/11/2010 9:07:51 AM
Author: Chrono
Why do you say that, Chrono, as far as princess's are hard to find in colored stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it is cut by request or at the choice of a precision cutter, it is far easier to find ovals, cushions and rounds than a princess cut faceting pattern in coloured gemstones.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I didnt really believe that at first, then I went through my inventory and found only about 3 out of every 50 stones were princesses. Do you think there is a lot of demand for princess cut colored stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know about the demand but I’m sure a setter is going to be pretty nervous when setting those pointy tips, especially in a softer or brittle gemstone.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know that the way I was taught to cut you ALWAYS just ding the tips a little bit on your lap so they will not chip later on, you basically bring the tip in a little bit. The stone still has a good outline but the tips are much less likely to chip that way.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful sapphire!

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just got the princess in the mail yesterday, and it is nice, a bright steely-blue.
I also picked up two more montanas from Gem Line:
1.18 ct emerald cut
and
1.11 ct trillion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results