shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting variances

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I have been eyeing up a particular setting and actually saw it, in person in 18k white gold.
It was exactly as I thought it would be ... Spectacular! To my surprise, however, I saw this same setting in another jewelry store, made by the same designer, but in platinum instead and I hated the way it looked.
Everything else was the same - E/F, VS sidestones

I really would love to have this setting but now I am scared that the product is not consistent. Does anyone have any idea if there is a difference, esthetically, between a ring that is made from platinum vs one made in white gold? What reason, if any, would the one in white gold look significantly better?

I believe that there are 2 sizes for the setting ... One accomodates up to a 1.25 carat center stone and the other up to 1.5. I was thinking that maybe the sidestones were different quality but, on paper, they were the same but they looked so much more yellow in the platinum setting. Maybe one setting was the 1.25 and the other was the 1.5 but this shouldn''t make that much of a difference, should it?

This is really disconcerting to me and another reason why I am scared to purchase something sight unseen or via the internet.

Can anyone offer any advice/explanations for the difference? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The difference you’re seeing probably has more to do with the store environment than the ring itself. A clean and well maintained display and background, a clean ring, lights, even the demeanor of the sales person can have a remarkable affect on how you see things.

I would not buy a mounting online unless you already have some reason to believe that the dealer will treat you well and will stand behind their products. A manufacturer supplied photo, or even one that they took themselves, is not sufficient.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
That''s great advice. Thank you! Ultimately, if I am not happy with the setting, a reputable dealer will aid me in securing satisfaction by providing some viable resolution. I''m sure that this is not a new story to anyone who has been in business for a while.

I think that the factors you mentioned could well have altered my opinion. I just can''t believe that they could do so so greatly. I almost didn''t recognize the setting b/c it looked so different.

Are there marked differences between the same setting made in different metals? Would this be a standard expectation or is it really just an issue of personal preference but the look preserves its integrity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results