shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Now that I have my stone, I need to find a setting...and then I can finally propose, ha ha ha!

After much thought, I decided that I like the classic 6-prong Tiffany setting the best, so now I just need to find a platinum smith to do it for me.

I have a few local smiths I was recommended to, so I am planning to check them out. I wanna make sure that they take full responsibility for my diamond while they have it. I would have had WF do the setting, but I had already decided on the stone before I was fixed on what setting I wanted...so I had to get the stone first(before someone else snatched it up!). I read from another post, I don''t remember whose, but they were talking about the shipping costs going back and forth from WF...and if I could, I''d like to avoid that...so hopefully I can find a local jeweler to cover my stone.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

What is the usual turn-around time for having a ring mounted, online vs local? I''m planning to propose at the end of May...at first I thought I had tons of time, but now I''m getting scared I may not have enough...

How does a local jeweler, or any jeweler for that matter, take full responsibility for your stone when you send it out to have it set? Like what paperwork do you need or whatever? This being my first time, I have no idea how the whole process works.

I am currently trying to get her finger size w/o her knowing...sad to say, but we have relatively the same finger size....I have tiny hands and really skinny fingers for a guy...it''s close, but not exact. What ways can I find out her ring size w/o triggering any suspicion? She has a ring she wears on her right ring finger, but it''s not like a totally round ring...so I don''t know if that''ll work... And how would resizing a work for that?

and lastly, does anyone have any other recommendations for local jewelers(in the souther cali/LA area) that will take full responsibility for my stone while they have it set? I just wanna have a full array of people to deal w/ before deciding. Or do you guys think it''s best to just go to WF and incur the shipping costs?

any and all help you can give me would really really REALLY be appreciated...

thanks in advance!

Angel D

Rough_Rock
a mounting can be made and delivered to your house within about t days, as for jewelers with your stone- all respected jewelers normally take full responsibility for your stone.
about the ring size, is it a surprise for her? if not just put a strip of paper around her finger and then measure it. the length can be formatted to the ring size.

hope i helped

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
that did help, thanks! It IS a surprise though, so maybe in her sleep? ha ha ha

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 2:51:25 PM
Author: Angel D
a mounting can be made and delivered to your house within about t days, as for jewelers with your stone- all respected jewelers normally take full responsibility for your stone.
about the ring size, is it a surprise for her? if not just put a strip of paper around her finger and then measure it. the length can be formatted to the ring size.

hope i helped
maya @ angeldiamond.com
19.gif
Now, Maya, where did you get that idea from?
A "respected" jeweller would have been the one to sell the stone, and would therefore take responsibility when they set it.

I have read many times here that jewellers who do not sell the diamond in question wouldn''t dream of taking liability in the case of an unfortuntae setting accident. Either they ask you to sign a disclaimer, or they charge you an insurance premium, or they refuse the work.There is simply too much to lose in the event of something unfortunate taking place. It would take the entire profit from
making 100 settings to recover from the loss of a single one carat diamond.
My advice is to send it back to WF.They made the profit on the diamond, and can assume responsibility for the setting.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree Maya...when I bought my setting, the jeweler stated he would not set the stone (when I got it) as he didn''t want to take responsibility for it. The dealer I bought the stone from agreed to take the setting, resize it and then set the stone, as they were the ones who sold it to me and could take responsibility for their own merchandise.

Angel D

Rough_Rock
i got that idea from the company i work at.
we sell just settings sometimes and set the customer''s diamond
we don''t have the customer signing that document and we take full responsibility for the stone
we have done that with many customers

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 3:17:12 PM
Author: Angel D
i got that idea from the company i work at.
we sell just settings sometimes and set the customer''s diamond
we don''t have the customer signing that document and we take full responsibility for the stone
we have done that with many customers
Just out of curiosity...what happens to the customer''s diamond if it accidentally gets damaged or lost? How does your company handle that?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Turn around time will depend on the vendor. do they have someone in house that can set the stone or have to ship it off themselves etc. also, how busy they are, if there are a bunch of people ahead of you etc.

2. Make sure you get it in writing that the jeweler will take responsiblity if the stone is damaged.

3. John Q has a thread around here somewhere with a bunch of tricks on how to get the gals ring size..I''ll see if i can find it and I''ll post it here..

4. I''d just go with WF and get the whole ring in one place. You can find a local jeweler to clean and check the prongs etc. Only if any work needed to be done would you need to send it back and forth to WF and hopefully that won''t be the case.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advice guys. I plan on contacting the local smiths just to see if they''ll take full responsibility for the stone while they have it. If not, then I''ll probably go back to WF.

JohnQ, if you''re out there, I''d really like to see those tips! :)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 4:55:37 PM
Author: lil_jay78
Thanks for all the advice guys. I plan on contacting the local smiths just to see if they'll take full responsibility for the stone while they have it. If not, then I'll probably go back to WF.

JohnQ, if you're out there, I'd really like to see those tips! :)

Thanks for remembering, MrsSalvo. Lil_Jay, as requested:

These strategies were gleaned over time from PS posters and friends. The article is in the WF Knowledge Base (under uncommon Q&A) ...If others have more suggestions I like to update the list from time to time.

How To Determine Her Ring Size?

(and keep it secret)

Here is a list of strategies we hope will be useful:

A. If she has a ring that she wears on the correct finger and leaves it off, even for a moment...

1. If you can bring one of her rings to the jeweler without arousing suspicion, this will probably be the safest course of action.

2. Offer to take her jewelry to be cleaned and have the jeweler measure her ring at the same time.

3. Put it on your own finger. Push is down as far as it will go and mark the spot with a pen. Show that mark to a jeweler who will measure it for you.

4. Trace the inside of the ring on a piece of paper which the jeweler can use to determine the size.
Make an impression of the ring in a bar of soap, a piece of clay or even a piece of bread.

B. If she has such a ring but never seems to take it off...

1. Buy a box of pizza mix and have a pizza night. Get your hands both in the dough. Now the ring she is wearing must be removed and cleaned. Offer to have it done for her.

C. If she does not have a ring for the correct finger...

1. Tell her you are buying a simple ring for your mother, sister (etc) and ask for her assistance in picking it out. While at the jeweler's find out her size.

2. If you think she will suspect this, one of her friends can be of assistance. It’s not uncommon for one friend to ask another for their ring size as a matter of curiosity. Just be sure you choose a friend who can keep a secret.

3. If you don't trust her friends, employ one of your own who can keep a secret.

AlliBaba

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I actually was speaking with a local jeweler (who happens to be a poster on this forum) who said if I bought the stone elsewhere, he''d set it. This is a pretty respected jewler who does very fine custom work, so I think it may be a possibility for those who want their local jeweler to set a stone they bought elsewhere...

Now for 2 questions:

1) What do you do about the appraisal if you go ahead and buy the whole ring from WF? I know they send the stone to an independent appraiser, and some appraisers say they will only look at unmounted stones. So wouldn''t you have to buy the stone, have WF ship it to their appraiser, have the appraiser ship it to you for approval, then ship it back to WF, have them set it and ship it back to you? Wouldn''t that defeat the purpose of doing the whole "one-stop shopping" thing, trying to avoid re-shipping costs. I''ve thought about this myself.

2) How do you make sure the diamond you brought to the jeweler to be set (whether online or B&M), is the one you leave with? Are you supposed to have it re-appraised? Is it an "honor code" thing for jewelers? MUST you have the diamond laser-inscribed?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
There are a number of PS vendors, including WF, that will take responsibility for another vendor's diamond, during setting. Also, I was able to find quite a few local (for me) jewelers to do the same thing. They are out there, you just have to find them. And get it in writing!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:09:00 PM
Author: AlliBaba
Hi,

I actually was speaking with a local jeweler (who happens to be a poster on this forum) who said if I bought the stone elsewhere, he'd set it. This is a pretty respected jewler who does very fine custom work, so I think it may be a possibility for those who want their local jeweler to set a stone they bought elsewhere...

Now for 2 questions:

1) What do you do about the appraisal if you go ahead and buy the whole ring from WF? I know they send the stone to an independent appraiser, and some appraisers say they will only look at unmounted stones. So wouldn't you have to buy the stone, have WF ship it to their appraiser, have the appraiser ship it to you for approval, then ship it back to WF, have them set it and ship it back to you? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of doing the whole 'one-stop shopping' thing, trying to avoid re-shipping costs. I've thought about this myself.

2) How do you make sure the diamond you brought to the jeweler to be set (whether online or B&M), is the one you leave with? Are you supposed to have it re-appraised? Is it an 'honor code' thing for jewelers? MUST you have the diamond laser-inscribed?
1) This is often necessary. This is what I did, and many others have done this as well. You can hold off and just get an appraisal after the ring is completed. However, keep in mind that an appraisal on a set diamond will never be as accurate as an appraisal on a loose diamond. I had my appraisal done prior to purchase. The diamond was sent to an independent appraiser near me so I could see it in person and decide if I wanted to buy it. You may want to consider this. That way, at least you are getting even more out of your appraisal, not just have a diamond examined that you already own. You are giving yourself the advantage of seeing in before purchase so you can decide if you really love it.

2) Learn your diamod's inclusions (unless you have an IF
27.gif
). Get yourself a loupe. Have your jeweler show your your diamond's inclusions under a microscope when you drop if off. Then look for these same inclusions when you pick it up. I wouldn't worry about it too much however. Diamond switching is pretty rare and risky for a jewler.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:09:00 PM
Author: AlliBaba
Hi,

I actually was speaking with a local jeweler (who happens to be a poster on this forum) who said if I bought the stone elsewhere, he'd set it. This is a pretty respected jewler who does very fine custom work, so I think it may be a possibility for those who want their local jeweler to set a stone they bought elsewhere...
In most cases a diamond purchased here will need to be set here for purposes of insurance coverage.

Now for 2 questions:

1) What do you do about the appraisal if you go ahead and buy the whole ring from WF? I know they send the stone to an independent appraiser, and some appraisers say they will only look at unmounted stones. So wouldn't you have to buy the stone, have WF ship it to their appraiser, have the appraiser ship it to you for approval, then ship it back to WF, have them set it and ship it back to you? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of doing the whole 'one-stop shopping' thing, trying to avoid re-shipping costs. I've thought about this myself.
The letter of verification we provide is not a full independent appraisal (more info in this thread today). The verification does not require shipping as it's local. If the buyer wants a separate independent appraisal we do offer the option of sending the diamond to one of his/her choosing. One shipping, one-way, is included with a diamond purchase and it may be applied here. If the diamond needs to be sent on - or back to WF for setting after the appraisal - the client incurs that charge.

2) How do you make sure the diamond you brought to the jeweler to be set (whether online or B&M), is the one you leave with? Are you supposed to have it re-appraised? Is it an 'honor code' thing for jewelers? MUST you have the diamond laser-inscribed?
'Stone-swapping' is not likely among reputable jewelers. There is simply too much to be lost with such a stunt. That said, it's best to trust - but verify. Laser inscriptions, inclusion plots & security options like GemPrint/VeriGem are all ways to do this.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the updated list JohnQ!

To everyone else, thanks to you too for all the helpful advice. I will let you know what happens ASAP.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Lil,

My mom had to have my dad''s finger sized before Christmas, as she bought him a new wedding band (his old one had been lost a while back), and she had no clue what size he was. She used my niece to help her out: Morgan told my dad that she was doing a science project to see what the differences in finger size were in people of the same gene pool. She did my dad, my mom, then her father (my brother), and myself, then her two sisters and herself. It was all a bunch of malarky, but she cut strips of paper that fit around each person''s finger, and marked them with their intials. She said she was trying to predict her adult finger size. My dad bought it, anyway.
9.gif
And, my niece had a good time helping and being sneaky at the same time. Maybe you know of a kid who can try this (5th grade and up is the best; younger just isn''t likely for a school project).

And I remember from your thread regarding your stone that you got a loupe and all sorts of "gadgets" with your stone. Does anyone know if that comes along with any stone from WF, even if it''s set prior to being sent? I hope so; that''d be fun.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Oooooh man! That''s a pretty nifty idea! Unfortunately, my niece is only 5 years old...I do have another one that is about 8, so maybe I can use her...

I ordered the free ring sizer from BN a few hours ago...hopefully I get it closer to the 4 days than the 7...I may just have to wait until she''s fast asleep! That''s a little risky though.

I''ve heard that if she''s right handed, she the ring finger on her right hand is about 1/2 size bigger than her left? Any truth to that?

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think that''s a hard and fast rule, Lil. My girl''s left handed, and her left ring finger is a 4, her right is a 5. I think it just depends.

I don''t think 8 year olds really do a lot of genetics stuff, but I bet they could do something like surveys, though. That''d help them with information gathering and maybe if she said she had to measure something like 20 different people''s left fingers compared to their right, something like that. I''m telling you, she''d probably LOVE to be involved in the process... even if she doesn''t really "get" what you''re doing (so her little self won''t let it slip... tell her later what you were really doing, if she doesn''t catch on).

Good luck, man.

AlliBaba

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great advice, JohnQuixote!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results