shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, long time no hear!

My mom wants to change the setting of her ring. It's a 3.24cts well cut round, spreading out at about 9.65x9.70mm. And yes, I think I have shown a picture to Mara in the past
3.gif
9.gif
She asked me for some suggestions, and I said I like those really simple and low-on-the-finger styles with a baguette on each side. Pretty much like F&I's ring.
9.gif

I've had a look around and there is a wide variety of choices available: thin or thicker baugettes, tapered ones, straight ones and the list goes on.

My question is: how big do you think the sides should be? Have you seen any style in particular that you liked/loved (links and pics are welcome)? What is a ballpark figure to expect? I've seen anything from $350 to $15,000. Our only requirements are that it has to be low on the finger and in white gold, possibly 18K (platinum isnt really that 'in' in italy, and it wouldnt match the rest of her jewelry). I'm thinking about 4 prongs, not sure about how it would look with 6. I figure the stones would have to be VS in clarity and no better than G to match the center stone which is a very white facing I color, borderline-H.
2.gif

Thanks!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hi Giangi!
35.gif

My side stones are f/g vs each being approx. .40 tapered baguette (one per side). The proportions are good because of the shape of the baguettes. Mine is Vatche in plat. I believe they make the same setting in 18k gold.

For platinum custom similar setting I was quoted around 2500.00. The Vatche in plat is about 4k.

18k gold is softer - so I don''t know how safe it is. With so many skilled jewelers over there - I''m sure you could find someone to do this work.

I''m a 4 prong gal. 6 prong with baguettes seems a bit clumsy.

I''d look at the Vatche site & the Verragio site - very different looks. I found the verragio to be too fussy. Also, I really like the way the shank in the Vatche tapers. It''s good classic design.

Have fun!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi F&I! Thanks for stopping in!
9.gif

Your setting looks really good in terms of proportions of the side stones to the center stone; 0.40cts is roughly what I was expecting to flank a 3ct center.
1.gif

As for going with platinum, it''s not really an option. My mom has only 18K gold stuff, so they wouldn''t really match. I''m curious to hear from everyone what is the ballpark figure for a white gold one, since most quotes on websites are only for platinum.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results