shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Prices - AKA Is this jeweler out of their mind?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Recently, the jeweler we''ve done business with here went out of business. On Tuesday, I ventured out to a store I''d heard advertised on the radio, and whose website bragged that they did in-store custom work. Shop was small, mostly diamonds but devoted one side of their small room to colored gems.

I spent a bit of time in the store, looking through the tomes of catalog settings and discussing what could be done with mainly two of my stones that I''d brought with me. Both small. An 8x10 JXR Amethyst, and my little 8mm natural blue topaz asscher from Finewater. (The woman was mesmerized and was so convinced that it was an aqua even though I insisted, yes, it WAS a natural topaz.)

The asscher, I''d like to set in a simple cheap four prong "Tiffany" setting so that I could switch it with my e-ring if I felt like it. I pointed at a plain cathedral setting that was under the counter in front of me and $400, because it was pretty similar. I had her pull it out and put my topaz in it to try out how it would feel with my wedding band -- but it was clearly for a stone under a carat. When I asked what the total price would be if set, I was told $850. I was taken aback, by the $450 difference, but didn''t pursue it. Thought maybe there had been some miscommunication or some reasonable excuse. I''m always trying to make excuses, it''s a fault of mine.

I knew that I could basically get the same setting as my e-ring, from Tripps, for right under $100. I had filled out one of those customer contact cards and included my email address, and the saleswoman (the office manager too, from her card) emailed me yesterday trying to talk me into a custom setting involving some cad work. My response to her included some preliminary questions to hammer down their fee for setting a stone in a ring that needed no modification whatsoever, AND their fee to size down a ring by a half-size.

Here''s where the crazy comes in. Her response???

"Setting charges for gems not purchased here are $150 per carat with a $35 min. Sizing a ring purchased elsewhere ½ or 1 size down would be $70 (14k) – assuming no stone tightening is needed. A tiffany (14k) would run $235.00, the airline cathedral you liked would be $415 (14k) – plus any setting charges. We do not charge to size our rings but I am unable to give you a final price without knowing the carat weight of the topaz."

So, these people would charge me a whopping $450 simply to SET my 8mm topaz. In a ring that was the appropriate head size for the stone.

I don''t even need to tell you, my fellow colored gem aficionados, that the little topaz didn''t even COST that much.

That screams Highway Robbery to me! I understand that the jeweler wants to encourage purchases of loose gems from their own store, but . . . good grief. $150 . . . PER CARAT is laughable, right?? I could have sworn that in my time here, I''ve read numbers more like . . . $80 - 125 for the entire setting job. Right? This penalty for having one''s own stone comes off as ridiculously petty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard of $150/ct setting fees for diamonds purchased elsewhere but not for gemstones. They definitely do not want your business. Perhaps it’s their way of saying they don’t want to take the risk that goes with setting an outside stone, so they set a ridiculous fee to discourage it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 3:48:46 PM
Author: Chrono
I have heard of $150/ct setting fees for diamonds purchased elsewhere but not for gemstones. They definitely do not want your business. Perhaps it’s their way of saying they don’t want to take the risk that goes with setting an outside stone, so they set a ridiculous fee to discourage it.
ditto.. $150 was a quote I received for diamonds and another quote for $200!, and for gemstone hmmm... I hear you Fiery... nuts!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must agree with the others, that does sound excessive in price.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s just ridiculous!

I had my pad set into a lotus for 30$, no fuss at all over the fact that it was an outside stone AND an outside (and nonstandard) setting. I think maybe these jewelers had bad experiences with setting outside gems before? It''s the only explanation I can think of..

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That does sound steep, especially for prongs. I took my LOGR legacy-like setting to Quest, which is highly regarded for their craftsmanship, and they charged me $275 to set my blue topaz. They also thinned the bezel, added matching milgrain, and drilled out an area below the stone to accomodate the culet. When they first gave me the estimate, I walked away and thought about it for 2 days because the price seemed so high. But after a fiasco with my other jeweler on a less complicated setting, I just decided to do it. My DH said it was a small price to pay for peace of mind, and for it to be done correctly the first time.

All this to say that yes, setting fees can be high, but over $400 to prong set a gem is ridiculous. Plus, if you're like me, you're calculating how many new gems you could get for that price!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, all who chipped in.

Yes, they certainly lost my business. Not just setting -- there was an interesting little rhodolite ring I was contemplating taking home with me when I went back for the setting. Their excessive inflation just put a bad taste in my mouth in general.

I don''t mind paying for a service, paying a little more than it''s actually worth since the business didn''t receive the mark-up money with an initial purchase. I get that aspect. And I get the liability of stones that weren''t sourced through them (not to mention that mark-up as well). But . . . I also think it''s a shame b/c I''ve been trying to focus lately on buying/commissioning gems that fit into standard plain gold Tripps-type settings, so that basically the only setting work involved would be to bend down four prongs. If they charged, say, $100 a pop, that would have been a good $700 - 800 coming into their shop for simply bending down some prongs at this point, not to mention the gems I foresee in my future!

Beats no money whatsoever b/c of their store policy.

Oh well, back to the search.

(Yes, Cellentani, that too, especially with my love of the "cheapies"!!)

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Wow!
23.gif

I am having a similar issue, however, my overblown quote for setting an outside ring into an outside mounting was "only" $200, and I was contemplating it since it would include working a 6x4 setting to fit a 6x5 stone. (she''d do the same thing if I bought the mount from her..for $30 on top of the retail priced mount, of course)

(Don''t get me started on the place that gave me a starting price for stock settings of $600 before labour..
38.gif
)

I get that these people want to make money, but I''m with you..I plan on being a regular, and that would be an ongoing source of income, not to mention any referrals they''d get from people admiring my rings. This isn''t even getting into any potential custom work I might want down the road. I''m sure not going to fork over thousands of dollars to have someone make me a ring if they can''t even push a prong down straight..hence testing the water setting a few simple stones into a little inexpensive mounts.

Now I''m just telling people how they are shilling people for labour.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 7:02:11 PM
Author: artemiss
Wow!
23.gif

I am having a similar issue, however, my overblown quote for setting an outside ring into an outside mounting was 'only' $200, and I was contemplating it since it would include working a 6x4 setting to fit a 6x5 stone. (she'd do the same thing if I bought the mount from her..for $30 on top of the retail priced mount, of course)

(Don't get me started on the place that gave me a starting price for stock settings of $600 before labour..
38.gif
)

I get that these people want to make money, but I'm with you..I plan on being a regular, and that would be an ongoing source of income, not to mention any referrals they'd get from people admiring my rings. This isn't even getting into any potential custom work I might want down the road. I'm sure not going to fork over thousands of dollars to have someone make me a ring if they can't even push a prong down straight..hence testing the water setting a few simple stones into a little inexpensive mounts.

Now I'm just telling people how they are shilling people for labour.

Goodness, $200 . . . you know, I might have even considered THAT, depending on how badly I wanted that stone set. $450 (maybe $600 depending on their cut-off point between carats!) totally jumped the shark.

It's funny how bad service makes you want to start crowing their name from the rooftops, isn't it Artemiss. Part of me wanted to respond to that pricing email with a link to this thread, perhaps they were clueless/thought I was clueless and merely needed a wakeup call. The other part thinks she'll make do by merely posting a status message on her favorite social networking site so that her entire local network of thousands of people will consider this when looking for their next present or proposal . . .
11.gif
More than anything else, I want to prevent some poor jewelry-clueless person for being taken for such a ride! Think about the hapless males who know nothing about proper pricing!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, this is one reason it''s nice to live in a big city like Philly. With a nicely developed jewelers district, they have to keep their prices reasonable if they want any business since the guy next door can do just as good a job and at a better price.

It''s also why I love working with etsy custom jewelers like Sally so much, I can just send them the stone, and know they can take care of all the rest :)

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
FPP, that is a head shaker in my book.

I agree with the poster before me who stated that it seemed as though they basically are trying to get you to go away.

Sheesh. I just don''t understand that kind of business practice.

I had a pretty darned high estimate for my lavendar spinel last month (it went to Julia Kay Tayler instead) from a high-end jeweler and where they lost me was when they told me how much they wanted for some diamond melee.

They had me up til then.

We all have our limits and they lost out on nice gig (and many other settings) being extremely greedy with the melee.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Yep . . . if their goal was to get me to go away . . . SUCCESS! LOL

I''d be more partial to believing that if the same woman wasn''t so diligent in trying to push me into that custom CAD-based setting on me. Let''s see . . . custom CAD cost, PLUS $450 to set this "dirty orphan" stone? Hahahahahahahaha OH! But then it would be their ring so the sizing would be free instead of $70 -- score!
14.gif

It doesn''t make sense to me, that a store would advertise their in-store custom benchwork abilities, then try to rigidly control it by a pricing structure that penalizes any exterior sourcing. Especially in this economy, with endless news reports regarding people forced to scale back their luxury purchases in order to have the necessities, blahblahblah. Oh well, thank goodness for Sally on Etsy, JKT, and BGD whose prices are, if not "too good to be true", completely LOGICAL and FEASIBLE. HURRAH!

Thanks for weighing in, all.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really does seem that they don''t want your business. I bet their bench person can''t do/is afraid to do colored stones from the outside. If they break/scratch one of their own stones they might just replace it. But if you gave them an outside stone well they wouldn''t have anything to match it.

JMO

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2009 4:43:33 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
It really does seem that they don''t want your business. I bet their bench person can''t do/is afraid to do colored stones from the outside. If they break/scratch one of their own stones they might just replace it. But if you gave them an outside stone well they wouldn''t have anything to match it.

JMO

Absolutely!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock

JMO

It''s very likely. We''re not exactly a great jewelry mecca out here in the cornfields. Although, if the benchman is afraid of my stones, the woman is campaigning awfully hard to get me to go with their cad-based setting. I think I prefer Sally''s "Mistral" setting to their idea, though, and am just going to buck up and overcome my fear of sending the stones through the mail. Not to mention that Sally''s whole ring, including the hand-crafted setting AND setting the stone into it, comes in for less than their charge to bend down four prongs. I appreciate her work ethic much more. Plus, I''m thinking that two other rings of hers might just fit the bill for two more of my stones.
11.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2009 4:45:28 PM
Author: Chrono

JMO

Absolutely!
Exactly! Those charges are way too high.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
450? thats some kind of crazy right there! They did not want your business because setting a stone, even up here dosen''t cost that much.

-A

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
fiery - I was just quoted nearly $200 to set a loose stone into my semi mount as well. I nearly passed out. I thought that I had done my proper PS research and knew about what to expect. Boy was I wrong! I guess I''ll just keep looking. Other than trial and error I''m not really certain how to find my very own "local" jeweler!
14.gif

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Some of you will know that I do all of MrsTropicmasters jewelry custom, and I have run into this very issue several times. Setting prices can be so out to lunch that I am left almost speechless. I had a quote of $300 to set a simple little 7mm Amythest from gary in a simple 4 prong setting. I tell you something else that frosts my pumpkin ( seasonal pun there ) and that is the mark up some jewelers attach to Stuller and Adwar settings. When you do not buy a pre made piece from them they see all that crazy markup disappearing, and try to make it up where they can. I finally asked the manager of my jewelry store to quit treating my buisness as a lost sale, and start treating it as bonus income. She was a little honest and said that one reason they priced my work so high was that they had no idea how much it would cost to replace the quality of stones that I bring in. She said she guessed the replacement cost of the Amythest at $300-$500 !!!! Mrs T''s e ring stone is pretty famous in this shop, and at the time they were saying it was " well over 5k for that stone". Needless to say they dont have a clue! lol

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If any of y''all were up here in the Boston area I would definitely rec. my guy because his normal setting charges are 50-55 per setting. He does a lot of repair too, which I think is why he dosen''t charge astronomical amounts for a simple setting job.

For stones that are softer than 7 on the scale, he will usually charge a bit more. Hes a bit of a gem junky which allows him to can identify most of what he sets. With me though he don''t always know, he found the sphene to be very challenging. But he''s set apatite so I had no worries there (that pendant was gorgeous too!).

He told me if I ever wanted to change professions he''d have a job for me (but then I would just be playing in jewlery all day long....but I''d also never have a paycheck!!
22.gif
)

There''s a lot of places out there that just don''t know or want to deal with the outside work. Some of the prices quoted in this thread just about make my head spin!

-A

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
"Caveat Emptor!" should be some kind of secondary motto around here!!

Not only is the markup stultifying, the lack of knowlege of what these jewelers/jewelry stores sell is mindboggling. I have a decent level of knowledge about colored gemstones and I know more than most retail establishments I have gone into looking for a place to either set or design settings/set my gemstones. It is amazing.

I don''t object to someone making a profit, they need to stay in biz, but I do mind having the wood put to me and particularly if thinking I am stupid goes hand-in-hand with that.

I also don''t care to subsidize the work of people they give a great deal to.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 1:58:29 PM
Author: Arcadian
If any of y''all were up here in the Boston area I would definitely rec. my guy because his normal setting charges are 50-55 per setting. He does a lot of repair too, which I think is why he dosen''t charge astronomical amounts for a simple setting job.

For stones that are softer than 7 on the scale, he will usually charge a bit more. Hes a bit of a gem junky which allows him to can identify most of what he sets. With me though he don''t always know, he found the sphene to be very challenging. But he''s set apatite so I had no worries there (that pendant was gorgeous too!).

He told me if I ever wanted to change professions he''d have a job for me (but then I would just be playing in jewlery all day long....but I''d also never have a paycheck!!
22.gif
)

There''s a lot of places out there that just don''t know or want to deal with the outside work. Some of the prices quoted in this thread just about make my head spin!

-A

I''m in the Boston area. :) Who''s your guy?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 2:20:06 PM
Author: Kismet

Date: 10/26/2009 1:58:29 PM

22.gif
)

-A

I''m in the Boston area. :) Who''s your guy?
He''s in Belmont linky near Waltham. A really great guy too. You just have to call to see if he''s there since he''s a one person shop. He won''t be doing the gem show this year in Marlboro, which is too bad.

-A

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 10/26/2009 3:20:36 PM
He''s in Belmont linky near Waltham. A really great guy too. You just have to call to see if he''s there since he''s a one person shop. He won''t be doing the gem show this year in Marlboro, which is too bad.

-A

[/quote]

Excellent. I''ll have to check him out as Belmont is right next door. I''ve been using TC Jewelers in Arlington. He does pretty nice work at pretty reasonable prices.

artemiss

Rough_Rock

"Caveat Emptor!" should be some kind of secondary motto around here!!

Not only is the markup stultifying, the lack of knowlege of what these jewelers/jewelry stores sell is mindboggling. I have a decent level of knowledge about colored gemstones and I know more than most retail establishments I have gone into looking for a place to either set or design settings/set my gemstones. It is amazing.

I don't object to someone making a profit, they need to stay in biz, but I do mind having the wood put to me and particularly if thinking I am stupid goes hand-in-hand with that.

I also don't care to subsidize the work of people they give a great deal to. "

This is the part that really irks me, particularly in the "snootier" establishments that toss out attitudes and airs about their products and knowledge, when in reality, they sell mass-produced crap with sub-par stones and have very limited knowledge at best.
One place got particularly nasty with a friend who went looking for a replacement for her e-ring colour-change garnet that broke, with the salegirl telling her they only dealt in "rare and valuable precious stones, not cheap costume jewelry"
29.gif
needless to say she walked out of that place never to return after informing the gal that a cc garnet of the size, quality, and colour she was looking (a 2-3ct Bekily blue with a strong cc) for was far more rare and costly per carat than the generic diamonds they were trying to push on her.

Not that all my conversation have been of that nature..mostly the folks who don't know much but are in the business are eager to learn, and enjoy seeing my unusual stuff, but it certainly doesn't help me find someone I trust to set something a bit more tempermental, like a demantoid or sphene.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 3:24:19 PM
Author: Kismet

Excellent. I''ll have to check him out as Belmont is right next door. I''ve been using TC Jewelers in Arlington. He does pretty nice work at pretty reasonable prices.
I''ve heard of TC Jewelers but never used them. I used to use Barmakian moons ago in Framingham since as I''m in Natick. I don''t find them to be as personable or as knowledgable as my guy though they charge about the same for standard stones. They kept calling my sapphire a tanzanite even after I corrected them.
20.gif

-A

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 1:26:53 PM
Author: Tropicmaster
Some of you will know that I do all of MrsTropicmasters jewelry custom, and I have run into this very issue several times. Setting prices can be so out to lunch that I am left almost speechless. I had a quote of $300 to set a simple little 7mm Amythest from gary in a simple 4 prong setting. I tell you something else that frosts my pumpkin ( seasonal pun there ) and that is the mark up some jewelers attach to Stuller and Adwar settings. When you do not buy a pre made piece from them they see all that crazy markup disappearing, and try to make it up where they can. I finally asked the manager of my jewelry store to quit treating my buisness as a lost sale, and start treating it as bonus income. She was a little honest and said that one reason they priced my work so high was that they had no idea how much it would cost to replace the quality of stones that I bring in. She said she guessed the replacement cost of the Amythest at $300-$500 !!!! Mrs T''s e ring stone is pretty famous in this shop, and at the time they were saying it was '' well over 5k for that stone''. Needless to say they dont have a clue! lol

Haha @ "Frosts my pumpkin"!
3.gif

Exactly . . . There is no way I''m paying $450 to set an 8mm blue topaz from Gary . . . It IS quality cutting, but in the end, it IS also "just" a topaz.

And Exactly too, at "quit trying to see it as a lost sale, but treat it as extra income" . . . that was really the feeling I got from this one. Honestly, IF they had to replace one of the stones we were discussing, it''s hardly like it would have been a mortgage-breaker. They were all cheapies -- topaz, amethyst, citrine. The money they would have made from me would have easily been an insurance policy against it, as I''m looking at setting quite a few stones ASAP. Not to mention, that if you''re advertising all over the place about your custom work on-site, you better have a benchperson who wouldn''t be scared of a cheapy amethyst!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 2:14:31 PM
Author: StonieGrl
''Caveat Emptor!'' should be some kind of secondary motto around here!!

I don''t object to someone making a profit, they need to stay in biz, but I do mind having the wood put to me and particularly if thinking I am stupid goes hand-in-hand with that.

I also don''t care to subsidize the work of people they give a great deal to.

It is amazing . . . even in these privately owned non-chain jewelers, I''m seeing a whole lot of people who can only tell you what you read off the tag attached to the ring/necklace/earrings. And "oh, that''s a great stone" . . . yeah, that''s helpful.
10.gif

Everyone''s comments have gotten me riled up again . . . I''m going to post a "Stay Away, Buyer Beware" type message as my *social networking site* status. LOL

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, we need to come up with a listing of excellent bench jewelers who charge realistic prices for setting and then just storm them with PS biz!! Maybe some Happy Hour/Meets/Set Your Stones Events, heehee!!!

We can start with JKT out west here in gun-slinging Arizona! I''ll bring the Absolut (gotta be careful typing that, I first typed "Aboslut!").

We got Boston covered. Who is next, LOL!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
This thread speaks to the experience with stones of the more retail end of the jewelry business.

I love gemstones for many reasons including their individuality, beauty, romance, glamour, variety even within a type, and they way they take my mind out of the daily grind all around me.

This is also why I like Pricescope, when I come here I see postings from so many knowledgeable people who also love gemstones, we talk about the stones we or others have bought, we enjoy the design process together.

In short, I leave my problems at the door. My husband even knows that when I am "Pricescoping" I am having the cyber equivalent of a breath of fresh air and thus no one disturbs me!!!

So this is why I especially dislike getting ''tude (attitude) or even worse, battitude (bad attitude) at or from a jeweler. I will happily pay retail when you give me an experience like I had on my birthday at The Collector (Pala''s jewelry/mineral specimen store in Fallbrook, CA).

I suspect others here feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results